Rush's Unit Class Rebalance

Rush's Unit Class Rebalance 1.0

RushSecond

Chieftain
This mod re balances all the land and naval units in the game. Here's what I wanted to fix:

1) Give each unit class a unique role in war, with clearly defined strengths and weaknesses
2) Ensure tech advancement is correctly balanced and doesn't lead to units that are too strong or weak for their era
3) Tweak each unit's combat values and costs to be more fair and encourage unit diversity when building an army
4) Lower the importance of strategic resources so a player doesn't get screwed if he/she lacks a critical resource by bad luck

All resulting unit changes are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K9glO_nO6DIpCbOJfrILdLhhLzk5qVuNakqffoDhhok/edit?usp=sharing
Other Changes:
- All Light and Heavy Cavalry now get +5 combat strength when attacking Ranged units.
- All units that require a strategic resource can still be built if you don't have that resource, but they will get a -3 combat strength penalty. Credit to Novemberisms on Reddit for this idea.

Installation: extract the zip folder into Documents / My Games / Civilization VI / Mods

----------------------------------

SO. Why these changes? First lets go over the general idea of what each unit class is and what they counter.

Melee Class

The most all-around balanced units in the game. Their biggest strength is that they don't have a specific weakness to exploit. They also get +10 strength when fighting anti-cavalry (roughly equivalent to +100% strength in Civ V!). If you want to get a big tech lead and then crush your neighbor by spamming a single type of unit, use these. They are also good a holding ground against invaders, since there's no unit counter to force them to move or die. However, this class is slow and generally a little weaker than other classes, making them hard to use aggressively without other advantages.

Anti-Cavalry Class

Hardier than melee units and have a +10 strength bonus vs cavalry. Many AI civs love to spam cavalry so these are incredibly useful to crush their army and protect your vulnerable units from terrible horsey death. However, they lose to melee units in direct combat.

Cavalry Class
Strong and fast, these are highly mobile and aggressive and can quickly and efficiently clear out weaker defenders. Their high mobility makes ideal for flanking and pillaging. They are especially effective at attacking ranged units that are unprotected. However, beware of anti-cavalry units as it only takes a few hits to die from that class.

Ranged Class
Overall very effective when they are safe and well-protected enough to continually attack the enemy. Over time, enough of them can whittle away any entrenched defense the enemy has. However, if the enemy fires back or gets in melee range, these will quickly die. They are especially vulnerable to a coordinated cavalry charge.

To see how this would all work in a real game, lets look at the Classical and Medieval units as an example.

Pikemen are the unit to beat in these eras. They cost less and have +11 strength, the biggest combat buff I gave to any unit! However Crossbows are also much stronger than before, and with the right terrain and decent protection from Swordsmen or Pikemen, the pikes can be defeated by an endless rain of crossbow bolts. (Note that you will always have the option of building Swordsmen since you don't necessarily need Iron to make them!) There's also the looming threat of the next era bringing strength 57 Musketmen who will completely decimate any Pikemen who dare stand in front of them. Of course, Horsemen are still a threat to the Crossbows, and Knights combine speed with enough strength to defeat anything but a Pikeman. No single unit type is strong enough to defeat anything here; the best way to win a war in these times is to build all different kinds of units and use them tactically, trying to match them up against the unit classes they are strong against.

This sort of rock/paper/scissors war has the potential to fall apart to strategic resource limitations. Imagine trying to barely hold on vs an overwhelming force of Pikemen, and you finally reserch gunpowder tech to save yourself with the power of muskets... only to discover you have NO NITER! And then you die. So to fix that, you can build any unit you want to, regardless of resources. However, they get a -3 strength penalty if you don't have the resource they need, so they are still somewhat strategically important.

Finally, many units in early eras are stronger than before. I wanted to more highly incentivize getting some military techs in those eras, since right now it's really too easy to just beeline Currency and Apprenticeship and just defend with a bunch of warriors and archers. With Spearmen, Chariots, Swordsman, and Horseman all with strength increases, there's a much higher chance you will pay dearly for playing so greedily with your tech path!

Try this mod and tell me what you think. Everything here is by no means final, and I'm glad to take any input (especially if something is broken and I need to fix it). Enjoy!

Hey glad you took this project on, we all know that the game needs the units specs changed up. I expected that to be addressed with the patch, but sadly no.

Will it work okay with other mods, I am a mod whore, I love them, base vanilla game is good in this rendition but still needs to be changed all over. :D I run whatever mods that run together well and improve the game. None change unit specs at the moment I know of, but what would I look for to see if it is compatible, unit value changes?

What needs to happen is the resources adjusted to give a decent change of getting the needed resources either on the land mass or nearby to gain access. Cof is working on it, he is coming along nicely I am sure he will adjust it. I always run my game on abundant and it works out for me. Thanks for your work. ;) I will let you know if it works with my mod list.

A guy in this thread is saying that the AI is unable to use bombardment units (catapult and so on):

The algorithms used for bombard units are absolutely useless. They do not know that they can't fire after moving so they try to move, realize they cant fire, then pillage. Repeat until dead. In the rare occasion that they don't move, i've only seen them fire on units.

This seems like you could fix it by removing the "can't fire after moving" penalty bombardment units currently have. You could reduce their strength to compensate for their new mobility. (or just give them move 1)

Last edited:
Will it work okay with other mods, I am a mod whore, I love them, base vanilla game is good in this rendition but still needs to be changed all over. :D I run whatever mods that run together well and improve the game. None change unit specs at the moment I know of, but what would I look for to see if it is compatible, unit value changes?
This mod is incompatible with anything else that changes unit combat strengths and production costs, since things will get overwritten. For example, say you use a mod that makes crossbows have 32 ranged strength but can attack twice, using this mod as well might make it have 48 ranged strength instead but still be able to attack twice, thus becoming really OP. Thankfully, as you said, there aren't many mods that make those kinds of changes yet. This mod will work fine with 8 Ages of War, etc.

Also, currently this won't play nicely with anything that adds new units since those units likely won't be balanced properly with the new unit strengths. A new ancient era unit with 26 strength is okay in the unmodded game, but with this mod it would be comparatively weak to Spearmen and Chariots. Sure you could just not build it, but the AI probably would and gimp themselves. If there happens to be a popular unit-adding mod and there's enough demand for it, I could add balance changes to those new units just in case someone wants to use both mods together.

A guy in this thread is saying that the AI is unable to use bombardment units (catapult and so on):

The algorithms used for bombard units are absolutely useless. They do not know that they can't fire after moving so they try to move, realize they cant fire, then pillage. Repeat until dead. In the rare occasion that they don't move, i've only seen them fire on units.

This seems like you could fix it by removing the "can't fire after moving" penalty bombardment units currently have. You could reduce their strength to compensate for their new mobility. (or just give them move 1)
True that is a problem, but I'd rather not change unit functionality just to fix an AI issue. I could make a separate mod for this if you want.

True that is a problem, but I'd rather not change unit functionality just to fix an AI issue. I could make a separate mod for this if you want.

Sure, certainly sounds like it's worth a try. Good idea to keep the mods separate, too.

With this mod, is it possible to set their classes using a broader variable, rather than their name? I don't know how to write out the code or set the arguments, but basically something like

If unit requires strategic resource: horses, set class_horse.

Basically, I'm using MOAR units, and adding the dozens of unit that has added would be very long, or just maybe impossible unless I set this mod to run after that mod has already created all the units. So I was wondering if there was an easier way to do give units those classes and use the -3 penalty and so on without manually adding every one of them.

Anyone know if there is an up-to-date version of this mod that is compatible with latest patch?

Or anything similar?

Top Bottom