Russian Succession Game

Depends. Distant corrupted cities aren't much good for anything other than growing people -- preferably happy people to boost our score -- especially if they're on fresh water. In some cases it's better to get a temple as it allows for pop growth and allows the cities to start a cathedral, especially in the earlier stages of a domination victory when you expect to hold that city for quite a while.

On the other hand, building a Library is good when you need the border to expand quickly, or in this case, as you point out, simply because it's cheaper. In the final stages of a Domination victory you typically just want to get it over with as fast as possible. If the city is never going to grow beyond 6 anyway, a Library may be a better choice, assuming we have enough luxuries to keep a size 6 city happy, which ought not to be hard. At this stage of the game a Library's the right choice.

Note you can't build a cathedral until you've built a temple, nor a university until you've built a library, so really those are the only 2 reasonable choices.

News from the Front-lines!
1890:
Our allies the Germans take Veii from the evil Romans!
Brianov the Militaristic takes control of the Russian empire!

1892:
Cumae, Antium, Hispalis and Ravena fall to our mighty armies!

1894:
Neapolis is ours! Our mighty armies approach Pompeii!
Another transport steams south to Syracuse!
Germany is moving through our Roman holdings to approach Pompeie, but they will be too late!

1896:
We take Pompeii! Our Elite Knights march into the city and occupy it!

1898:
The Greeks take Syracuse, which should have rightfully been ours! Our forces retreat out of Greek lands.

1900:
Our cultural influence spreads across the Roman countryside. It is noticed that the Greeks now have Cavalry. Money is taken away from research to power our war machine!

1902:

1904:
The Governor of Riga is court-marshalled for attempting to train a swordsman! He is taken to a hospital near Moscow to undergo psychiatric examination!

1906:
We discover flight! Our scientists study computers. We enter the Modern age! We discover Rocketry!

1908:

1910:
Construction of airports begins.

1912:
Airport rushed in Cumae for airlift. Costs us 600 gold, half our treasury.

Dateline 1926:
"General, what is the status of our armies?"

"Mr. Brianov Sir! We have 73 divisions of tanks, 24 artillary, several bombers, fighters and cruise missiles waiting to crush the enemy Sir!"

"Excellent! Where are our troops?"

"Sir! Troops are being airlifted into Cumae on a regular basis. Large armies wait your instructions at Pisae, Rome, Antium and Lugdunum! Transports wait in the arctic to Germany's north and near Pharsalos on the Greek coast! The foolish Greeks and Germans suspect nothing!"

"Excellent. We will wait."

"Wait Sir? All alliance agreements have run out, we are ina position to strike! Neither country can withstand our mighty armies!"

"Yes, General I know. We are unstoppable. However, the invasion will wait for a stronger, younger leader. For I grow old and weary. See to it that my heir is updated with the status of the armies. I dont suspect the line of Brianov will return to the throne before Russia dominates the world! I want a full report of our conquest, mind you!

"Yes Sir!" General Zed salutes and helps the frail old man to his home. He leaves with a smile on his face.

Dateline 1930 AD (2 turns into my round):

"Today the German and Greek governments surrendered all political and military power to the Russian Federation. In a glorious ceremony in Moscow, Catherine the Terrible received Bismark's and Alexander's oaths of fealty, given in exchange for their miserable lives. Unfortunately, the citizens of their respective countries were generally ignorant of the details of the ceremony, due to their lack of telephones..."

4 German and 1 Greek cities captured, with troops in position to capture another 2 or 3 German and 3 Greek cities. Total military and scientific supremacy. You do the math. :)

Our score was 1449, which isn't too great. However, (a) it was only Warlord difficulty, and (b) looking at the histograph, we were somewhat late bloomers.

Go ahead and download Brian's last turn and play the game out if you want the score in your hall of fame.

Congrats Zed-F!

Gee, if I had played just 2 more turns.. :D

I kinda figured it was nearly over, and decided to call it quits so someone else could have 1 more turn.. :)

Thanks for a great game everyone!

Good story, Guys. Glad you kept posting updates. Too many times I've been following a tale only for it to quit before the end. Like reading a book with the last page missing. Thanks !!

Top Bottom