S.o.S (Stories on Soyuz) 3: the immortal first (the worst bonuses)

sylvanllewelyn

Perma-newb
Always wondered why the human player is the first to land. I thought that according to canon, Brasila was the first to launch. Too bad, because it's also considered the weakest sponsor.

Inspired by S.o.S. 1 and S.o.S. 2, I've decided to create my own.

The theme is to choose the worst starting conditions and see what happens. Not worst by my own standards, but by popular vote
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538736
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538414
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538328
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538490

Brasilia: +10% strength in melee, +5 hp when healing
Refugees: +2 food per city
Fusion Reactor: 100 energy at the start
Raw Materials: Capital starts with a clinic

Map: equatorial, because why not, never tried it.

Start position:
Spoiler :
http://1drv.ms/1A5ELyz

Save is attached. Spoiler: this is more difficult than I imagined. Good luck.

Shadow game:
Spoiler :
Turn 241 Transcendence Victory. But let's start from the beginning.

http://1drv.ms/1DvRSLL
http://1drv.ms/1MoPTwV

I had tons of fun with Apollo challenge 2. But many said it was too hard and I did not agree that victory conditions should be explicitly specified. I wanted it induced.

Equatorial maps are like pangaea but smaller, forcing war upon the player. It's richer than Taigan because most people seem to enjoy "more stuff" rather than less, even though I disagree. Lots of outlying islands, so even when you take the capital, the perma-war bug will hit you because you cannot find that last city to finish someone off. The idea is to exacerbate the cascading diplomatic effect resulting in "Always War". I then tried a few maps until I got the "right" geopolitical situation. I actually did not want ARC because they don't hold grudges. PAC is great, they don't build cities and just spam units in your :) .

Question: why did hydroponics receive more votes than arsenal or raw materials? Is hydroponics even a "thing"?

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_Initial_Turn 1.CivBESave
    399 KB · Views: 114
Spoiler :
Had a bit of bad luck in the early game. No affinity levels from ruins. Aliens were really annoying even though I didn't attack them. They killed several of my trade routes including ones to nearby stations, which resulted in the stations eventually going poof since no other AI were trading with them. They also pillaged some of my tiles. I ended up having to build a fence and the Reverse Polarity quest took forever. Double DoW from the Slavs and PAC (probably inevitable no matter what you do). I have been able to hold them off with just soldiers so far. I'm using the academy spam strategy - Cognition researched T96, which is a bit late but ok considering the circumstances. T96 SS is below. I will continue, but may quit if I have the perma-war bug. Only 4 cities so far - I will probably settle another on the south island which is why I'm researching that tech even though I should be researching for planes or for an affinity tech (going for Harmony).

Spoiler :

Turn 179 update:

Spoiler :
Decided to continue even though I apparently have the perma-war bug. There is even a second annoying bug, which is that the AI isn't recognizing that there is improved and workable xenomass in my capital, so I can't build the good buildings there that require it (Cloning Plant, etc.).

I ended up settling a 5th city to the south, just beating Hutama to the spot. I guess he got mad because he DoWed me as well, but made peace in about 10 turns after sending a few units to their death. My one friend, the AU, has been a lifesaver since he has been buying all my excess titanium and xenomass, keeping me above water energy-wise. I could settle a 6th city to the SE (nice petro spot), but probably won't bother at this point - 5 should be plenty. Academy spam has been tough to finance, but I'm finally in the black on turn 179 (see screenshot below) in terms of energy and health (Magnasanti + additional health buildings). Science rate is finally becoming reasonable and I have caught up in affinity levels to the AI leader. Since I have so much xenomass I will probably delay the finish to build some of the high affinity harmony units and go on a late game rampage, just for payback for the AI perma-war. I never built a Rocktopus before.

Spoiler :

Turn 278 Transcendence Victory:

Spoiler :
Hit 13 harmony kind of late (turn 241) and started building the Mindflower. Took the PAC capital on turn 249 just for the heck of it (planes took it down then a soldier walked in). That was her only city - probably should have taken it much earlier since Koslov was finally willing to make peace after I eliminated PAC (although I didn't make peace - xp was too good for my units). I didn't want to mess around too much since ARC was a bit of a runaway, although she seemed to be preoccupied with warring other AI's. Mindflower built on turn 259. Victory 19 turns later (screenshot below). Thanks for posting the map. The unfavorable starting conditions added about 40-50 turns to the finish. Maybe I could have finished quicker if I had settled more than 5 cities.

Still have never built a Rocktopus, but I did build a couple of Xeno Titans just for show. Too bad the late game goes so fast that the later affinity units are never really utilized.

Spoiler :

In response to your comment:

Spoiler :
Had a bit of bad luck in the early game. No affinity levels from ruins. Aliens were really annoying even though I didn't attack them. They killed several of my trade routes including ones to nearby stations, which resulted in the stations eventually going poof since no other AI were trading with them. They also pillaged some of my tiles. I ended up having to build a fence and the Reverse Polarity quest took forever. Double DoW from the Slavs and PAC (probably inevitable no matter what you do). I have been able to hold them off with just soldiers so far. I'm using the academy spam strategy - Cognition researched T96, which is a bit late but ok considering the circumstances. T96 SS is below. I will continue, but may quit if I have the perma-war bug. Only 4 cities so far - I will probably settle another on the south island which is why I'm researching that tech even though I should be researching for planes or for an affinity tech (going for Harmony).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
That's why this start was chosen. I thought some people enjoy surprise but I understand its not for everyone.

This bug where one AI bribes another one into a war and then you're locked into eternal war until you wipe them out... So good!
That's all I have to say for now

@ Sylvan

Don't get me wrong. It is a fun map. The bugs would be too frustrating on Apollo, but are manageable on Soyuz.

Finally got around to play the game. But first things first:

There is even a second annoying bug, which is that the AI isn't recognizing that there is improved and workable xenomass in my capital, so I can't build the good buildings there that require it (Cloning Plant, etc.).

As far as I know this is not a bug. Rather it's that one xenomass deposit can only belong to one city, in your case it belongs to Santo Adriao since it's closer than your capital.

Now to the game. This was actually my second try. I started the first one when I didn't really have time, played it the first 130ish turns, completely forgot to write stuff down and didn't remember a lot later. Was definitely winnable (hadn't lost a city or such) and but I was more motivated to redo it so that's what I did.

t0 - t99
Spoiler :

The basic game plan was to go for a harmony affinity win.

Let's start by discussing the landing position:
Spoiler :

I chose this spot since I honest to god don't care about water access on land maps and there two factors going for this specific spot:
  • Instant access to two good tiles, especially since border expansion w/o artists is slow but I'll grow fast
  • No matter how I'd settle later on that xenomass belongs to the capital so it will get the buildings that come with xenomass.

As usual the plan was at this point to get the free settler, then a depot and convoy to start trading asap, expand as much as possible and don't die to the obvious DOW.
Which would be a good place to say that one thing I hate in this game is that starting positions and map layout can be 100% sufficient to doom you into a war. AIs that have water on one side and you on the other will 100% attack you because they want to expand. And there is nothing you can do about it aside from being prepared. Which is so bad cause it means you'll be slowed down immensely even with optimal play. Makes me sad :( [/rant off]

Anyways, build order:
Spoiler :

Old Earth Relic >> Worker >> Trade Depot >> 1. Convoy >> Colonist >> 2. Convoy

This is very usual for me, I start explorer into OER 95% of my games but with just +1 culture at the start I felt I really needed to go OER first. After that I could have gotten the explorer but later explorers are obviously worse than early explorers. And I really wanted the worker to get some production going for the depot and all that. So I had to skip the explorer entirely - I blame the terrible loadout!

As for the tech order:
Spoiler :

Pioneering >> Engineering >> Chemistry >> Ecology >> Genetics >> Physics >> Cognition >> Alien Biology

This on the other hand is pretty usual. Pioneering first for fastest trade route, Engineering since I want to see titanium and Chemistry can wait a bit, I don't need it before I actually want to build a lab or recycler. After that Ecology to remove miasma for trade routes, food I had more than enough. Genetics opens up Cognition, also health buildings yay. Physics I usually don't get this early but I was expecting war and wanted ranged units. In fact they DOWed me just as my first two rangers were about done. Good timing. Then Cognition for obvious reasons and Alion Biology since I was still without affinity levels.

I won't even bother with a list of virtues, I'll just assume everyone knows when I say I went free settler into 10 industry and then it was basically game over anyways.

As for stuff that happened, I've made a list:
My affinity quest satellite landed right on top of PAC... I was so happy when she just ignored it until I got there.
Found a solar collector and could buy a t27 worker, thanks a lot!
The game that keeps on giving... Siege work idling just outside my capital finished me the worm quest t35.
Time for gifts seems to be over, station spawn on top of one of my designated city locations... So I decide to forwardsettle the Slaves, they'll attack me anyways so might as well.
Joined DOW t65, unsurprisingly. I'm not too worried though.
Just finished cognition at t90 with about 40 science. Of the 6 cities I want I've got 4, lost one outpost due to me being stupid. Will probably resettle and also raze the station (which is also my affinity quest so that will give me gunners :))

t100 - t199
Spoiler :

Alright, turn 100, time to look at some numbers. I have 4 cities, one outpost (not gonna lose it again, promise!) and one station I want to take out asap. That's also where my last city will go.
48 science per turn, 9 culture, affinity level 1, 8 virtues (3 prosperity 5 industry) and neverending war with 2 neighboring AIs.
As for techs I've finished cognition so right now I'm just about to get the last couple of basic techs before going for affinity 13. I'll probably skip bionics since I don't really need more food right now and won't be able to pay for both, academies and biowells.
All in all my science is pretty bad as is my culture. I've been building units a lot which is why the numbers are so low. But things are starting to look better so it'll be alright.
Below is a screenshot of my turn 100 setup.
Spoiler :

Next on the list would be turn 150 which I totally missed of course. Luckily I have the stats of turn 151 so I'll just take those and pretend it's one turn earlier.
Alright, got my 6 cities up and mostly running. 120 science per turn, 17 culture, affinity level 4, 10 virtues and of course neverending war with 2 neighboring AIs.
My tech progress is alright once again, I'm on track for affinity 13 and expect to soon roll over those two Artifical Idiots that won't make peace. Once I'm affinity 6 or 7 I'll just walk my defensive units into their territory - I'd be surprised if they can defend themselves.
As for the 120 science and 17 culture... The latter one is just me completely forgetting about Alien Preserves, the former is having to build generators instead of academies cause I just couldn't pay for them. As of turn 151 I've just started mass deploying solar collectors but getting academies up everywhere takes a while.
I also have another screenshot:
Spoiler :

Now for my list of things that happened:
t120 I just founded my last outpost (on the spot where the station used to be). Also I've just finished my spy agency so that'll hopefully help a bit with catching up on tech.
Somewhere along the way I hit affinity 7 and started invading my friendly neighborhood aggressors, for which I am now hated by the world for being an evil warmonger. Civ:BE diplomacy at it's best.
t182 Daoming offers me peace for peace. I didn't know they could do that, double DOW bug and all that. Anyways, since she forgot to offer me all of her I'm not very impressed and she'll just lose her capital methinks.
t183 Huahua declares war on me. That just happend. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THEY PAID HIM OR WHY HE EVER AGREED. Seriously, and here I thought the AI considered current military strength. He probably just agreed cause he was "friendly" with me before and his (estimated) bias for backstabbing is somewhere around (2^31 -1).
Also t183. Daoming loses her capital to me. So sad :(
t186 After some... unfortunate things happened to Huahuas invasion force he offers me peace and one of his cities. I take the deal and set the city on fire. I know it's not efficient but I really don't care :D
t187 Hey, Huahua says, since we're so good friends would you mind giving me some xenomass? Yea, nice try.
t194 Huahua changes his status to "friendly". Yea, nice try.
t194 as well. AU asks for a mere 180-ish science per turn, he offers 2 favors. Yea, nice try.

t200 - end
Spoiler :

Turn 203 it was when I remembered I wanted to take a look at stuff around turn 200. Around turn 200 it is so let's look at stuff!
I'm currently producing 374 science per turn, 97 culture, affinity level 10, 14 virtues and still in a neverending war with the sad remnants of 2 neighboring AIs.
In about 12 turns I want to start the mind flower so I'm currently bringing workers over to the capital to start turning academies into manifactories.
All my own cities have a xenosanctuary and a mindstem, my puppets don't but I guess it's too late now for me to take control even though I probably could buy 2 to 3. Current guess on victory time is around t235.
Totally forgot to take a screenshot this time.

Between t203 and 240 nothing interesting happens, really. I delete workers, fortify trade convoys, press "next turn" a lot.

t240 the game ends. Mind flower took me longer than expected, probably because the capital is pretty small and I dropped into negative health again. This I have screenshots of at least:

Victory screen:
Spoiler :

Turn 240 setup:
Spoiler :

@ tedeviatings

Spoiler :
Moving your capital toward the xenomass was potentially a good thought; however, in my game having access to sea trade routes with my capital was pretty important as it allowed getting production to my capital from my island city and allowed for trade routes earlier in the game when land trade routes were not possible due to aliens (i.e., before the fence quest was finally triggered) and AI enemies after I was DoWed. I could safely reach 2 satellite cities by sea since there were no close sea aliens and no enemy ships to pillage in that area. In addition, my capital was actually working some sea tiles later in the game, so it helped to be able to get the building that improves those. But YMMV.

It's interesting to compare your game to mine since we both went Transcendence. Having that western city site would have really helped. I didn't get there in time before the Slavs settled the site. Consequently, I had a much less defensive position and had to build more units to defend on multiple fronts. In addition, it appears that 6 smaller cities is better than 5 larger cities in terms of finish time. I was struggling with health and energy for a large part of the game. Not having any station trade routes also really hurt me since that is one of the best virtues in Industry. I'm playing another game where I have 3 station routes plus that virtue and the game is much easier and faster.

Spoiler :

however, in my game having access to sea trade routes with my capital was pretty important as it allowed getting production to my capital from my island city and allowed for trade routes earlier in the game when land trade routes were not possible due to aliens (i.e., before the fence quest was finally triggered) and AI enemies after I was DoWed.

I can see why you want to go costal if you want to place a city on an island. Or rather, not settling my capital costal made cities on islands less attractive compared to your costal start.
But in terms of trade routes things worked very well for me. I only traded by land and never needed a fence. I had to let a trade convoy idle once because of two siege worms in a row very early on but that only took about 3 turns.
I was not, however, able to trade with any AI other than Huatama, nor with any stations. I don't mind the first one but stations can be quite nice. Because of no artists I got the industry virtue later than solar collectors, but generally speaking that would have been really nice for a while.

Spoiler :
My biggest mistake was probably not killing aliens from the start. That may have cost me 20-30 turns on my finish time. I wanted to try to be friendly in one game, but it's really not worth it.

Spoiler :
Whow. This was both, the worst match I've played in the last months... and at the same time probably in the top 3 when it comes to the most fun I had.

turn 1-68:
I went for Relic -> Worker -> Depot -> Trade Route -> Settler -> Trade Route -> Settler -> Settler -> Military, even ignoring trade routes that became available for my first expansion at that time, just because I wanted to make sure to grab amnd secure all the land. Turned out that was a really horrible idea, because...

...on turn 68 then my 3 neighbors made it clear that they somewhat disliked my expansion policies and declared war on me all at once - for the rest of the game of course, without even trying to negotiate for peace. While I was preparing for war anyway I did not expect a tripple-DoW at that point - and even less so did I expect them to actually show up with units and give me a really hard time for the next 100 turns or so. Interestingly enough, with the 3 neighbors around being all buddy-buddy and stuff none of them even tried to send trade routes through my lands as they usually do - so I didn't even get that bonus out of them. Not sure if I just was just unlucky, or if my rapid expansion just blocked them from exploring each other, but I didn't get the 100 gold every few turns that I could have really used at that point.

The fact that the terrain didn't have any resources didn't help. The fact that it didn't have energy or growth didn't help... And the fact that the AI actually decided that it's a good idea to build ships in those 3-10 tile seas proved to be really annoying until I finally had t3 snipers to get rid of them - that was on turn 170 and at that point I was getting an insane amount of 220 science per turn - with all cities on science focus that is. :lol:

I decided to leave that game a while after that. The threat was over anyway and what was about to follow was a really slow "rush" to victory, while still having to move units around all over the place.

Anyway. Thanks for that savegame - the last 2 hours were hilarious.

Top Bottom