Saber Center for Bean Counting - Term 3

gbno1fan

Emperor
It's the start of a new term so we get a new thread.

Important things to discuss this term:

1. Research path
2. Settlement plan (though I think we are mostly agreed on the one we have - speaking of which, I'll post an updated version soon)
3. Build Orders - this includes Wonder discussions
4. Trade deals - mostly this will be handled by the Chief Ambassador, but I believe the Bean Counting department will have a significant role as well.

As I mentioned before, I will try to post Civ-Assist reports more frequently this term.

Also, here is the latest list of build order plans:
~Baldric: Settler factory indefinitely
~Scymitar: 3 warrior + 2 worker factory indefinitely
~Georgetown: Curragh, The Great Lighthouse?
~Taiaha: Worker factory indefinitely
~Claymore: Curragh, Curragh
~Katana: Curragh, Curragh
~Yatagan: Forbidden Palace
~Karabela: Worker, then what?
~Elear: Worker, then what?

EDIT: Oh, and a list of the techs we currently have:
~Bronze Working
~Masonry
~Alphabet
~Pottery
~The Wheel
~Warrior Code
~Mathematics

Currently Researching: Currency

Possible things to research (estimated turns to complete):
~Ceremonial Burial (4)
~Iron Working (5)
~Writing (6)
~Horseback Riding (4)

Now for the stuff that doesn't need to be in the first post...

I kind of like the name Elear. In any case, we can leave that city the way it is named unless he responds.

For the next one, Cyc has just responded with a name: Woundhealer

What do we think of site V next? Would it be prudent to build a road from Karabela to V?

As for research, we need to continue to follow our path of researching techs with the hope of maximizing trade value. Therefore, Writing is still on the back-burner. I think Iron Working should be next on the list.

CivAssist info - Pre-turn 61​

Domestic Information:

City Production:

Inside the Bean Counter's head:
~Opinions on image hosting - is it okay to keep using imageshack (and thumbnails) or would you rather I host the images on my site (providing the full image in the post)?

We will eventually have a road from Karabela to V, but even if we wait until it is built, our settler takes the same number of turns to walk to V, so there is no point in waiting for it. I think V is a fine choice for our current settler.

I am getting a little uneasy with our research. We don't want to be too far behind in getting Literature and Republic. Hopefully, we will have a contact by the time we complete Currency, but if we don't, I think we may have to bite the bullet and research Writing ourselves. I guess it will depend on what our curraghs see/how many turns we have to survive at sea to reach another landmass.

Your pictures aren't working for me, gbno1fan.

Another note - now that Karabela is connected, it is less than 50% corrupt, so mining the BG will give us 2 spt. It will have 10 shields before it reaches size 2 - we should probably consider a curragh there before its worker.

Your pictures aren't working for me, gbno1fan.
How about now? I'm not sure what was wrong, but I figured out how to embed the image using imageshack.

Karabela can build a curragh instead of the worker.

As for research, it may be possible to convince me to research Writing next if we haven't found anyone when Currency completes - but I really think we should do Iron Working next.

I really think our first goal should be MAP MAKING. Galleys would improve our chances of finding other civs.

And as proposed by gbno1fan, The Great Lighthouse should be built in Georgetown soon (at least start soon)...

Galleys would improve our chances of finding other civs.

I'm not sure about that. The potential crossings we've seen except for Nemo's have been 4 tiles from coast to coast. Either a curragh or a galley would need to survive 1 turn at sea to make it. We can build twice as many curraghs as galleys, but only if we don't research Map Making.

Another note - now that Karabela is connected, it is less than 50% corrupt, so mining the BG will give us 2 spt. It will have 10 shields before it reaches size 2 - we should probably consider a curragh there before its worker.

Karabela can build a curragh instead of the worker.

Now that I talked you into that... Karabela is currently listed as 49% corrupt. Once Woundhealer is founded, Karabela's rank corruption will increase and push it above 50%, so by the time the mine is done, 2 of the 3 shields will be corrupted. I'm not sure if you want to build a 10-turn worker or a 15-turn curragh there. My opinion is generally worker first in towns that cannot produce 2 spt quickly.

In either case, Nobody will not mine the BG yet - he will move to continue roading to the future Woundhealer.

:rolleyes: Make up your mind! :p

I guess we should build a worker first out of Karabela after all then.

How many turns do you think the Great Lighthouse will need to complete? More importantly, how many turns do we have until we must have Map Making? I'd like to see us build many curraghs before we are forced to build the more expensive galleys.

We have a 300 shield palace prebuild available, so we don't need Map Making until we have 290 or so shields.

I don't see any of our coastal towns doing better than 8 shields per turn in despotism, and unless we add workers, it will take some time to get there. Maybe 45 turns?

How much are we willing to trade for writing? Will we give away 3 techs? What if the other team doesn't want to trade it? I'm just wondering because I'm not sure what to think about trading other players as opposed to predictable AI trading.

Also, I favor iron working as well, but writing is going to have to be gotten soon.

EDIT: Is there any chance of colonizing the new land Nemo found, or is that just crazy talk at this time. (I do know we need map making first)

CivAssist info Pre-Turn 63​

Domestic:

Production:

Out of my head:
~Katana has completed a curragh. Any objections to starting another?
~As far as trading for Writing, I'd say we'd be willing to trade a comparable number of beakers or at most 10% more. It is a key tech so we may face some trouble in negotiations, but I have a feeling the techs we have researched will be worth a lot to our trading partner.
~IMHO, colonizing the island the SNS Nemo has discovered is crazy talk for now. We should focus on settling our own landmass for the near future. Also, defense of the island could prove to be more expensive than the value of colonization.

IMHO, colonizing the island the SNS Nemo has discovered is crazy talk for now. We should focus on settling our own landmass for the near future. Also, defense of the island could prove to be more expensive than the value of colonization.

Until we have map making, we're locked on to this island. However, once we get it, I'd like to have 2 settlers and a galley pre-build waiting to go ASAP. If that island's uninhabited, then I'd push for getting it claimed before anyone else arrives. It might prove to be our only source of iron, saltpeter or uranium. I'd rather claim the entire island and allow another tribe to settle on our island than to settle our entire island and have no remote cities. It's much easier to kick out an interloper and to become one.

~IMHO, colonizing the island the SNS Nemo has discovered is crazy talk for now. We should focus on settling our own landmass for the near future. Also, defense of the island could prove to be more expensive than the value of colonization.

I know it, I'm just greedy, that's all. When I see land I want it.

Until we have map making, we're locked on to this island. However, once we get it, I'd like to have 2 settlers and a galley pre-build waiting to go ASAP. If that island's uninhabited, then I'd push for getting it claimed before anyone else arrives. It might prove to be our only source of iron, saltpeter or uranium. I'd rather claim the entire island and allow another tribe to settle on our island than to settle our entire island and have no remote cities. It's much easier to kick out an interloper and to become one.

I kind of agree with this; but with no experience of playing agianst Humans I don't know how feasible is is to hang onto offshore holdings...

I am with gb on this one. We should focus our main attentions to our home island before we consider going to another island. We need to get our home island up and running before we go to that Island.

Citizen micromanagement question (technically the Bean Counter's department):

Putting all the citizens on the tiles where I would normally put them without regard to commerce, running 80% science leaves us 1 beaker short of completing Currency, while running 90% science has a 5 beaker overrun.

There are a couple ways to adjust this, but they both have drawbacks. The relevant towns are Georgetown or Elear.

Georgetown is building a curragh and has 11 shields in the bin.
Elear just completed a warrior, and I'm not sure what we are building next, but it has no shields in the bin.

Option 1:

4 shields in Georgetown to complete the curragh in 1.
2 shields in Elear.
Complete Currency in 1 at +1 gpt (overrun 5 beakers).

Option 2:

2 shields in Georgetown to complete curragh in 2.
2 shields in Elear.
Complete Currency in 1 at +7 gpt (no overrun).

Option 3:

4 shields in Georgetown to complete curragh in 1.
1 shield in Elear.
Complete Currency in 1 at +7 gpt (no overrun).

I don't really like Option 2 very much, but do we prefer a shield in Elear or 6 gold?

At this point of the game I normally favor shields over gold, so I would go with option # 1. A couple of beakers isn't much to pay for the extra shields.

That was my initial reaction too, but I started having doubts. If we are building something in Elear for 10 shields, then I think we will probably complete it in 5 turns regardless of whether we get one or two shields this turn since Elear grows in 5. Depending on what we are building there, the shield may not really be lost.

Top Bottom