Safe to combine NiGHTS with CivUP?

ekolis

Chieftain
I really like a lot of the UI improvements in CivUP, such as the trade matrix, the policy countdown, and the great-person overview tooltip. Is it safe to combine this mod with NiGHTS? I'd expect it to work, seeing that is just changes the UI, except that the NiGHTS mod description says that it's only compatible with three specific other mods, not including CivUP, and also that I tried combining CivUP with Community CTP, and it was all glitchy! :(

I really like a lot of the UI improvements in CivUP, such as the trade matrix, the policy countdown, and the great-person overview tooltip. Is it safe to combine this mod with NiGHTS? I'd expect it to work, seeing that is just changes the UI, except that the NiGHTS mod description says that it's only compatible with three specific other mods, not including CivUP, and also that I tried combining CivUP with Community CTP, and it was all glitchy! :(

Definitely not. The UI improvements in CivUP are more or less a conglomeration of individual UI tweaks made by a collection of mod authors, and bits and pieces are used in almost all of the major mods out there - which is why none of them are likely to work with one another, (although you've probably already noticed that). ;)

Ah, OK - it's a shame more people don't use CivUP as a base or requirement for their mods so everyone gets ALL the updates!

Ah, OK - it's a shame more people don't use CivUP as a base or requirement for their mods so everyone gets ALL the updates!

I guess it's kind of the same for mod creators as it is for mod players - different mod creators want different bits and pieces that fit well within the context of their mods, and many of the UI features in CivUP aren't really tailored for their mods, useful as they might be for the base game or for Thal's mod. Take how that mod auto-updates tool tips in the game - for Nights, I prefer the look/style of its current tool-tips, and find that the auto-updates tool tip mod component is too generic for my liking and doesn't always give adequate information for the player.

There's also the matter that certain mod components (not just in CivUP) really slow down the game and/or turn times. I've tried to be selective with certain UI and lua mods included in Nights so as to keep the load times relatively comparable to vanilla Civ and G+K's.

Yeah, I noticed the turn processing and UI response times are much faster now that I'm not playing GEM! :)

Kind of surprised that CivUP doesn't provide a way for modders to override the autogenerated tooltips, though... then you'd have the best of both worlds!

Modding is time intensive. It is clear that Markusbeutel and Thal have spent huge amounts of time getting the kinks worked out, combining the two would be incredibly difficult.

Thal is in fact on vacation because of modding burnout.

Modding is time intensive. It is clear that Markusbeutel and Thal have spent huge amounts of time getting the kinks worked out, combining the two would be incredibly difficult.

Thal is in fact on vacation because of modding burnout.

Pretty much exactly. :)

Between the thousands of files in our 2 mods alone, (where just one that's overlapping can cause bugs), it's pretty much impossible to release anything even remotely compatible.

And burnout's definitely an issue as well - you only have to look at the creation/customization/modpacks sections to see how many mods never even get past the planning stage as a result.

Top Bottom