1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Save the Mongols

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by tR1cKy, May 14, 2007.

1. Mailman_Posty

Mailman_Posty Chieftain

Ya good luck dude. Hope u can recreate the story, its been good so far

2. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

After a long, long, long hiatus i'm going to revive this story. I've already set up the scenario file, with all the necessary settings, and now all it takes is to find a map similar enough to the original one, but probably a bit less extreme, to compensate for the fair amount of rust i accumulated in these years away from Civ3.

Now, how to turn the trashing of the primary hard disk that put an abrupt end to this story to a plot device for its new beginning? That's what i came up with:

Now, what all this junk has to do with Civ3? Who are those natives that the valiant ConsolationPrize managed to save from the deadly threat of a mysterious space-time anomaly? Perhaps their description as given by Mr. Spuke does sound familiar with someone... anyway, the plot will unfold in the next installment, one week or so from now - stay tuned, if you care :D

Attached Files:

3. tR1cKy

Meanwhile, in another part of the spaceship...

And so, our old heroes (well, sort of) are still alive. What fate awaits them? The next installment will tell us...

Attached Files:

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

just great! thanks that you continue your story, and even care about the details like why the start area changes. ;)

templar_x

5. CivRulesAll

CivRulesAll The Void Beyond

Wow. Long hiatus indeed. I saw this in my user CP and I was like, "what is this?" and I clicked and remembered. Good luck.

6. tR1cKy

thank you very much guys! i had some free time today, so i made a pair of extra tables, here they are :D

Did our heroes went too far with their sharp tongues? Will they manage to stay out of trouble with the space-faring aliens that just saved them from death by space-time anomaly? We'll see in the next installment. Stay tuned :D

Attached Files:

7. tR1cKy

Hope you're enjoying the story so far. Here's the next chapter:

It looks like that our heroes somehow managed to get substantial help from the aliens, but how will it end? We'll see soon... stay tuned!

Attached Files:

8. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Does this mean you'll use different graphics for the Genghis leaderhead?

9. tR1cKy

Oh, no :) The disgusted faces of Mr. Spuke and the fact that he's so quick in changing topic should suggest that fixing Temujin's face is a hopeless task even for those advanced space-faring aliens :crazyeye:

10. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

"Should I road this square?"

Priceless. I haven't read something that funny in a long time. :goodjob:

Great wit! Superbly fun read! Looking forward to more!

11. Princeof Persia

Princeof Persia Emperor

Subbed and thinking WTF!?!

12. tR1cKy

hehe thanks for the support! here's the next part:

the space voyage of our lost civ seems to be coming to an end, but how will it end?
    more fun to come, in the next installment - stay tuned! :crazyeye:

Attached Files:

13. tR1cKy

...we're not over yet... :)

Attached Files:

14. tR1cKy

Our heroes are leaving... not without some fun

In the next installment, the final chapter of this saga. Stay tuned! :crazyeye:

Attached Files:

15. tR1cKy

and finally, the ConsolationPrize goes on its way...

Attached Files:

16. tR1cKy

The new beginning

Here's the new starting location:

The settings remain the same. If you can't be bothered to go back to the beginning of the thread, here they are again :D
    • version: PTW, 1.27f
    • civilization: Rome
    • level: Deity
    • map: standard, overcrowded (10 opponents + lone Mongol worker)
    • world: continents, 4 billion years old, temperate

Modifications:
    • we start with an extra worker
    • the Mongols start right next to us with one worker only (to be captured immediately)
    • the assimilation chance is 0% everywhere (foreign citizens will keep their nationality forever)

Moreover, i'll be playing what i call the conqueror variant, that is:
    • no intentional city razing (they must be kept unless autorazed)
    • no intentional population starving, unless it is necessary to prevent disorder, and in this case the governor must be activated.
    • no abandoning cities, unless it is done automatically with 1pop/worker or 2pop/settler.
    this means that captured cities will be at constant risk of flip until the enemy is completely assimilated; the risk is increased by the fact that no foreigner will ever turn into a national; of course, i'll have to cope with that.

I'll put a further limitation in what could be called the honorable variant. Basically, i must use the due diligence to keep my reputation clean for the whole game. This means:
    • any action that will break a trade and, by consequence, trash my trade reputation is forbidden; that is: declaring war, disconnecting a resource, interrupting a trade route, destroying a harbor... anything that would have a rep hit as a direct consequence.
    • RoP rape is forbidden.
    • when a war is declared, no friendly unit must be located in enemy territory (that would count as a RoP rape).

Finally, the reverse assimilation:
    • when possible, foreign nationalities must grow (with the "hybrid" settler tr1ck)
    • growing the Mongol nationality is a priority in respect to anything else, short of building an initial core of cities (or else i'd be simply waiting to be crushed by the AS, not much point in it).

Please note: my free time is limited and this game comes after my job, my duties IRL, my social life and my possible partecipation in the Game of the Month competitions. So don't grow impatient if you don't see it updated too often: i will complete it eventually.

That said, let's the game begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The start moves are the same: we sell Alphabet to Temujin for Pottery + 10 gold, then we capture immediately the Mongol worker, destroying the Mongol AS but giving a bright future to that lost nationality :lol: The captured worker is sent N to reveal more land:

An important choice must be made from the very beginning: settling on the hill will allow us to build at RCP 3.5, but there's an equally interesting alternative, that is settling on the dyes and building at distance 3 from the capital. In both cases, 5 cities could be placed. The 1st option would grant the core cities more room for growth, but the 2nd one would allow us to hook up one luxury from the very beginning and the second one shortly after, without the need of working the tiles. What to choose? Even the genius settler does not have a clear picture...

~~~~~ to be continued ~~~~~

Attached Files:

17. templar_x

i cannot see the pics :cry:
    otherwise i am happy to see this game start anew. good luck!
    t_x

18. tR1cKy

fixed ;) thanks for reporting, i wasn't aware of it

19. templar_x

why move the settler? i understood you are playing conquests, so why care about rcp?

you could also settle in place, this gives you the cow immediately. on town like 1e1se, then 2n, 3nw and 2 towns at 3,5 next to the lake looks good to me.

templar_x

20. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

His settings are for PTW, Deity, so RCP will be important but doesn't RCP round down? So 3 or 3.5 are the same - RCP3.