Save the Mongols

Hello, followers! I'm back from the GotM and ready to post another update. Not much stuff, i've had little time but i thought it was better to break the silence anyway.

I hope to find some more time to post more of it in the following days. Meanwhile, enjoy this mini-update.

---

As the takeover of Arabia goes on, the enemy drops a single regular spearman outside the captured city of Mecca. Not exactly a frightening counterattack, one might say:

But then, here are the bad news: Mecca defects for the second time, and another archer is lost:

Meanwhile, our troops are ready to capture one of the two cities still loyal to Arabia:

~~~~~ to be continued ~~~~~

Attachments

• stm099.jpg
    stm099.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 806
  • stm100.jpg
    stm100.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 800
  • stm101.jpg
    stm101.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 802
Lol always good to wake up and find a new update here. Keep it up, i'm anxious to see the fall of Arabia :p

It's not all about war, of course. In the mainland, the breeding of the Mongol kind goes on. We now have 5 of them: two free workers, two popolation units in Lazy City (to be turned into workers) and one in the Breeder city, to be turned into a settler.

In the former Arabian core, a new city is founded at RCP 5 from Damascus, our future capital. The chosen name is causing some controversy:

Of course, it's also about war. The last Arabian city is about to fall...

...and with this last victory, the Arabs are gone :D

Now it's time for some rearrangement. Attacking Persia is out of the question for the moment, we'll have to wait until knights are available. There's a chance to buy Chivalry from Spain, giving away Theology, that is due in a few turns. Meanwhile, temples must be built to counter cultural pressure from Persia.

The city of Kufah is just too problematic to be kept safely, but it can also serve as a possible base of attack later, so it is donated to Spain, and a RoP is signed with Isabella:

The city of Najran, in a bad position, is relocated on the coast, where it can also be held safely against a flip to Persia. On a side note, the crew of the Widowmaker are showing themselves as worthy successors to the archer we lost in the first revolt of Mecca:

I hope to be able to post another update before the next GotM begins, but i'm not sure. Time is little and workload is big. In the meantime, enjoy :D

Attachments

• stm102.jpg
    stm102.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 789
  • stm103.jpg
    stm103.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 764
  • stm104.jpg
    stm104.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 745
  • stm105.jpg
    stm105.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 816
  • stm106.jpg
    stm106.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 769
This is great! I made an account just to follow this :) I'm learnin lots of good stuff just by watching you too, so thanks for that!

Thank you very much, Mountain Goat, and welcome aboard! :goodjob:

GotM 120 isn't out yet, so i found some time for an update. After the demise of Arabia, preparations are done to invade the Celts. These are mostly interlocutory turns, where our advisors happen to play a major role.

Meanwhile, after a long struggle to keep the budget under control, we complete our research on Theology and begin an even longer struggle to learn Education:

Education will allow us to use a university in Genius City as a prebuild for the Forbidden Palace, and perform a palace jump with a leader when the Forbidden Palace is one shield short of completition.

Persia is becoming a major concern, as it's going to play the part of the scientific runaway AS:

As attacking Persia is out of question by now, we need to create a cultural buffer zone to avoid the risk of cultural defect, a risk well present even with only one tile under persian control (they have about 7 times our culture). And this means - aaargh! - temples:

A very important trade is performed with Spain: our knowledge of Theology in return for Chivalry will allow the Nerd empire to finally benefit from knights (finding the necessary money for upgrading horsemen is another story). On their part, the Spaniards will be able to... well... pray better? :crazyeye:

On a side note, the avances of our foreign advisor toward lusty Isabella seem to hit a brick wall... but the unexpected surprise is around the corner :lol:

Probably, the next GotM is just around the corner as well, so it's not likely i will update again before competing in it. In the meantime, enjoy :)

Attachments

• stm109.jpg
    stm109.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 723
  • stm108.jpg
    stm108.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 775
  • stm107.jpg
    stm107.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 701
  • stm110.jpg
    stm110.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 682
  • stm111.jpg
    stm111.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 731
Great update, tR1cKy! Good luck in the GotM! I'll be looking forward to reading the further adventures of the Nerd civilization with the funniest advisors and scariest named ships in all CivIII.

I'm glad you're still following this story with fun and interest, guys, and i'll do my best to keep the entertainment level as high as possible.

Not an update in the strict sense this time, but a general assessment of the game as it's been going on so far. I think once in a while it may be interesting.

It's 190 AD and here's the current world map:

Zululand and Arabia have been assimilated, and a war with the Celts is imminent. Troops are already being amassed near the border and soon we will 'fire' that incompetent bozo of Brennus and replace him with a good Nerd governor :D

The breeding of the mongol kind also goes on. At the moment, we have 3 free workers, one population unit in Lazy city, that is about to be extracted, and one in the Breeder city that will turn into a settler in 2 turns, for a grand total of 6 mongol units.

It's not that much, it's a time-consuming process and it must be done one by one. Probably i'll set up another breeding city pair once the new core is established.

Meanwhile, a few Zulu workers have being joined into some of the core cities. The biggest Zulu minority is in Dumb City with 4 Zulu units out of 9. Similar minority groups are present in Genius City and Smart City (to the south). More of them will be joined later, as some natives will be turned into workers.

Note that the assimilation chance is zero everywhere, so those foreigners will keep their nationality forever. At the moment, out of a grand-total of 97 population units, 16 are Zulu, 17 are Arabs. Roughly one third of the Nerd empire is made of minorities, and this number will grow much larger as more nations will be conquered. Slowly, the Nerd empire is turning into a multiethnic super-nation.

That's all for now. I don't know if there will be an update by now, it all depends how much late the next GotM will be, this time :D

Attachments

• stm114.jpg
    stm114.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 681
  • stm113.jpg
    stm113.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 670
  • stm112.jpg
    stm112.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 687
@Dumanios: i sent you a PM. Anyway, the answer to your question was already in the last comic update. There were 5 mongol units at the moment, about to become 6 as a settler would consume a national. Some relevant stuff that doesn't fit well into the comics is usually explained in the text between them. I suggest you to read it more carefully, you will have a better understandment of how the game's going on.

Anyway, there are no signs of an upcoming GotM yet, so i played a little further and produced another update.

In what will be the new core area, we're still fighting against Persian cultural pressure. Medina has just been reached rank 2, so it's no longer under threat. In Noob City, a temple has just been built, and in a few turns it will reach rank 2 too. Meanwhile, another city has been founded at the right distance to be part of the RCP around our future capital. After giving tribute to the Noobs, it's time for the Leet to be properly recognized:

Meanwhile, the former Zulu city of Bapedi has been relocated around the coast, and the gap has been filled by what will become the new homeland of the Mongols:

Back to the more important stuff, it's time for Brennus to follow his former workmates Shaka and Abu Bakr into a past history book. For the occasion, the Nerd empire has hired a brand new advisor, with the intention of making itself a less male-centric nation :lol:

The invasions begins, on two fronts. A big stack of units moves from Damascus to the strong Celt city of Alesia. Meanwhile, the Floating Coffin, the Rotten Tub and the Deadly Trap are sporting another stack to be landed on the outskirts of the smaller settlement of Camulodunum:

Our troops have reached their targets, and are anxious to draw some enemy's blood:

In the interturn, some enemy troops try to weaken our stack outside Camulodunum. I managed to catch this screenshot, where the infamous Lazyass, doing nothing but sitting on a hill (as his usual) defends successfully and earns another promotion:

In the outskirts of Alesia, once again our catapults play an essential role. They manage to shed the population back to 6 units, nullifying the city defense bonus, and probably this lucky hit was the tipping point between success and failure: there were no less than 7 pikemen, 2 maces and one horseman packed into the city! We had to use archers to get rid of the final defender and it was a really close call.

Moreover, in one of our countless elite wins we managed to obtain the 2nd leader of the game! It's too early to perform the capital jump (the original core would become hopelessly corrupted) but we can use an army to obtain the Heroic Epic as a prebuild for the Forbidden Palace in Genius City. This way, we won't be dependant anymore to Education:

Of course we will go for Education anyway, it's still useful as a bargaining tool to obtain Invention and, at the same time, pave the way for Astronomy, but there's not a pressing need to complete it anymore.

Probably, next GotM is around the corner by now, but if it will be further delayed another update would be possible. If not, please be patient as usual :) Anyway, thank you very much once again for supporting this story. See you next time followers! :goodjob:

Attachments

• stm115.jpg
    stm115.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 672
  • stm116.jpg
    stm116.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 707
  • stm117.jpg
    stm117.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 690
  • stm120.jpg
    stm120.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 719
  • stm119.jpg
    stm119.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 670
  • stm118.jpg
    stm118.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 665
  • stm121.jpg
    stm121.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 668
Looks like the powers that be do really want me to go on with the comics :lol: As there's no sign of a GotM 120 yet, i continue playing and updating.

The initial attack on two fronts have been a complete success. On the northern front, troops get backup and then continue toward the next city (with some caveats):

Meanwhile, in the homeland, the breeding of Mongol folks goes on as usual. Another mongol settler has been created, and a national one is ready to rebuild the breeder city. A mongol worker is ready to be joined in to produce a further mongol settler.

On a side note, that horseman may need to improve its courting skills:

In the very same interturn, Alex of the Greeks propose us a rather pointless RoP treaty, and is even willing to pay a small amount of gpt:

Back on the front line, where a Celt skirmisher enters into our borders. With the help of some catapults, it's time for our army to enter into action:

As expected, the army scores its kill, and the Heroic Epic may be finally used as a prebuild for the Forbidden Palace in our current capital:

In the following interturn, the Persians complete another wonder:

And in the next one, they show how far they've gone in research, by starting Magellan :eek:

In the former Zululand, Mongol Haven is finally being populated with Mongol nationals, and all of the 3 pop units joined so far turn out to be females. The original Zulu citizen is not displeased at all: :lol:

And that's all for the moment. I'll take a few days off for easter holiday, therefore no immediate update will follow, regardless of the GotM being out or not. See you next time, readers! And once again, thank you very much for following this story :goodjob:

Attachments

• stm122.jpg
    stm122.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 644
  • stm123.jpg
    stm123.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 618
  • stm124.jpg
    stm124.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 633
  • stm127.jpg
    stm127.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 652
  • stm126.jpg
    stm126.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 670
  • stm125.jpg
    stm125.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 677
  • stm128.jpg
    stm128.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 614
  • stm129.jpg
    stm129.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 623
Hello, folks! GotM 120 is out, finally, and i'm now competing in it. But before starting the game i played a few more turns and i took some screenshots, that i hadn't the time of turning into comics. Well, until now :D

The conquest of the Celtic nation goes on. A stack is outside their big prize, the capital city of Entremont:

As one may expect, the city is heavily defended, but our stack is big and powerful enough. Half-way through the slaughter, an elite victory finally produces a leader, and now all is set for the capital jump in Damascus. We only have to wait for Genius City to be 1 shield short of Heroic Epic, then we'll rush the palace and turn the former capital production into Forbidden Palace:

Entremont falls, and the Great Wall is also seized:

As the turn ends, our trade with Jerksees of the Persians expires, and we promptly renew it in slightly more favourable terms:

Some units in the stack were not involved in combat and, therefore, can move immediaty to the next target, the city of Verulamium. Meanwhile, in 330 AD, the bloodthirsty Babylonese, after ending their with Carthage, decide to turn on Cleopatra. But all this action is taking place in the other landmass, which we cannot even reach by now, so it's of little importance:

An event of more importance, taking place in the same interturn, is the completition of Copernicus in Persepolis. Persia is clearly headed for scientific supremacy and if we're not quick enough we could face an enemy much harder than expected:

Next turn we're outside the gates of Verulamium. The stack from Entremont is getting reinforcements from the mainland, thanks to our glorious navy. The fate of that city is sealed:

And that's all for now. No more updates will come until i'm over with GotM 120, so please be patient. In the meantime, i hope you will enjoy this update. See you soon, followers! :goodjob:

Attachments

• stm132.jpg
    stm132.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 656
  • stm131.jpg
    stm131.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 573
  • stm130.jpg
    stm130.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 604
  • stm133.jpg
    stm133.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 565
  • stm134.jpg
    stm134.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 579
  • stm135.jpg
    stm135.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 597
  • stm136.jpg
    stm136.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 578
Subscribing to this wonderfully silly story. Love the general premise, and have a suggestion.

You can simplify the whole breeding system with a trick(or set of) I learned to maximize slave workers and combat settlers. When you have a town with 3 pop and 1 is of yours, the settler produced is foreign, as you've shown. The next step is join the settler back to your breeder town, giving you 3 foreign citizens. Build a worker, who is a foreign worker. Start a settler and either let the city grow to 3 or add a native worker and you build the next foreign settler, starting the cycle over You never have to disband the city, and you can produce as many foreign citizens as time and gold permits. You can get workers and settlers with the same city, no settler or worker abandoning necessary. It works even better if it's in the first ring with 5spt/5fpt or better, where growth and production is fast. I use it when I feel the need to have more slaves to save upkeep, as 2 slaves can allow upkeep for a high value military unit rather than a worker.

Hello, followers! Sorry for the delay, but real life has taken a heavy toll recently. Well, let me just say that the awaiting is over :D But before the actual update, some answer:

@Dumanios: yes, it is :D

@MTB4884: thank you, bud! I scored a domination victory in 480 AD, not sure if it's enough for gold, but the score is fairly high. In game 119 i finally achieved the gold after having lost it for a mere 13 points in game 118.

I still have to put myself on par with your story. If you kept your usual pace, then there should be a fair amount of new stuff to read. But now i'm just too tired for it.

@Overseer: thanks! How's that i didn't think of it by myself? I certainly will follow your advice. And, by the way, thank you for following!

@CELTIC: i do my best, as usual :goodjob: hope to never disappoint you and the rest of my audience.

Now, on with the update:

--------------------

It's 340 AD and we're at a crucial point. Our capital, Genius City, is producing 13 shields per turn and is 14 shields short of completing the Heroic Epic. Bad micromanagement? Not at all, this is exactly what i want and i followed the production in the city carefully with the precise intent of achieving this result.

Before the turn ends, the spare leader is used to rush the Palace in Damascus, our designated new capital.

On the war front, we see once again two long-time friends: Lazyass and Turd, once two wimpsy regular warriors, are now two battle-hardened legionary units, winners of many battles and sporting elite status. They are leading the advance on the last Celtic stronghold, cheering and yelling at an enemy that, soon, will be no more:

But the proud Celts are not going down without offering a fierce resistance till the very end: in the interturn their former capital, Entremont, revolts against the occupants:

At the same time, the palace is built in Damascus, which becomes our new capital. Now here's the important stuff: Genius City is now 1 shield short of building Heroic Epic. Even with total corruption, it will still complete its building next turn:

I enter into Damascus, cycle through the cities and reallocate population on the fly, to avoid civil disorder in some of the former core cities - and also switch immediately to Forbidden Palace, to be safe from any memory lapse.

Still in the same interturn, we get notice of Persia starting building Smith's. Apparently they're not that far from entering into the Industrials :eek:

Now it's time to assess the pesky Celts once for all. Firstly, Entremont must be recaptured. On the mountain, catapults shell the defender to 2/3 but the elite mace fails to finish it off. Fortunately, the legionary does not suffer the same fate and the city is owned:

That's all for now, but a further update will follow quite soon. Stay tuned folks! :goodjob:

Attachments

• stm139.jpg
    stm139.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 510
  • stm138.jpg
    stm138.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 522
  • stm137.jpg
    stm137.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 627
  • stm140.jpg