Save the Mongols

Thank you again! :goodjob:
Here's a little addendum, basically two tables that i didn't have time to set up properly.

The battle of Hlobane has been successful, but costly. It turned out the city received reinforcements: a galley loaded with impis did move into it, upping the number of defenders to 4, three of them being veteran.

Two elites has been lost, one legion and one archer, as long as a veteran mace. But the city fell anyway, and the bloody battle did produce our first leader!

The leader in question had its own ideas about what to do, but with a little bit of moral suasion it was convinced to cooperate:

~~~~~ to be continued ~~~~~

Attachments

• stm076.jpg
    stm076.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 833
  • stm077.jpg
    stm077.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 845
^_^
Do you have Byzantium?
Just wondering...
Make it a Mongol Metropolis of Magnificence!

@Hagia Sophia: sorry, this is PTW, no Byzantines here. They're only in C3C.

And then, here's the last update:

The breeding program has hit another milestone. The mongol settler has been joined into Lazy City and now there are two mongolian pop units, soon to become two mongolian workers:

Sun Tzu has been rushbuilt in Intombe, and our troops question themselves about this new great wonder:

Meanwhile, another Zulu galley trying to head back to Baghdad is being trapped. Catapults shell it, only to 2/4...

..and then, the HMS Foobar picks the risky business of dealing the final blow to the unlucky Zulu boat. It wins, and joins the Floating Coffin in the exclusive navy's veteran club! :D In case someone has missed it, HMS is not 'His Majesty's Ship', but 'Huge Mass of Scrap'. Yet, some tough scrap.

The mood of our land troops about our navy is finally changing. They're not considered anymore a mass of failboats. To the south, the city of Baghdad turns out to be a hard nut as well. A first attack fails...

...and it's not yet over, because in the interturn a swordsman steps into the city and kills an elite legionary :( Fortunately, more troops are disembarked right after. As the mace kills the offending swordsman, earning elite status, the fate of Baghdad seems sealed:

Attachments

• stm078.jpg
    stm078.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 823
  • stm079.jpg
    stm079.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 814
  • stm080.jpg
    stm080.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 780
  • stm083.jpg
    stm083.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 780
  • stm082.jpg
    stm082.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 822
  • stm081.jpg
    stm081.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 801
Why not leave the Zulu?
They're never again going to be a threat to you.

Why not leave the Zulu?
They're never again going to be a threat to you.
lurker's comment: Because only the Mongols can survive... :mwaha:

Also, I was looking through my social groups and found this one. I instantly thought of this thread.

Hello, followers! Forgive the delay, i've been busy with work lately. Now some answers.

@Pieman: here it is. Apparently, they crossed the whole of the Celtic territory to take over by surprise that city. By the map, you can see it's not exactly near us. It will take a few turns to reach there and dispatch it, if the Ottomans do not recapture it first.

@HagiaSophia: they're a threat as long as they exist as an indipendent state, because every captured Zulu city will be at risk of cultural defection until their complete demise. Of course, the Zulu nation will continue to grow and prosper under the benevolent rule of the Nerds :D

@Sparthage: LOL, good point :lol: Actually, every nation will survive, as part of the Nerd empire hehe. Oh, nice link btw.

@CELTIC: thanks!

Now on with the update.

----

The Rotten Tub is sailing back to friendly seas, still providing useful intelligence to our military leaders:

As expected, Baghdad falls, but we keep losing units against supposedly weaker enemies. It looks like our military leaders are not at their best lately:

On the other hand, the performance of our combined force of artillery and naval units couldn't be more impressive. The last Zulu galley is shelled to redline and then sunk, providing the third naval promotion in a row! :eek:

Interturn with a surprise: the Ottomans ask for an alliance against the faraway Spaniards. Of course we won't divert unit to Spain, it's just too far away to make sense, but by adding us to the dogpile, we get Engineering at a fraction of its original cost:

Once again, this story will be put in pause for a month or so, to let me compete in the upcoming GotM. See you soon, followers, and have nice holidays in the meantime!

Attachments

• stm084.jpg
    stm084.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 709
  • stm085.jpg
    stm085.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 771
  • stm086.jpg
    stm086.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 764
  • stm088.jpg
    stm088.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 722
  • stm087.jpg
    stm087.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 717
Great update, tR1cKy! It looks like the Widowmaker lived up to her name, from the Zulu's perspective. I loved the Foreign Advisor's comments as well. Merry Christmas, good luck with the GoTM, and see you in January!

Hi you all, followers! Alas, i've had very little time to update, but i managed to play a pair of turns and, most importantly, produce a pair of comics.

As my naval expedition was half-way to the target, the Ottomans finally managed to take over the last Zulu independent city. Good news actually, because it would have been quite problematic to defend it from cultural pressure from both Celts and Ottomans.

In Lazy City, the breeding of Mongol people goes on. Two fresh population units are in, ready to be turned into workers and then settlers:

Now the stationing troops can be moved en masse to the next target: Arabia

Sorry if it's little. I'll try to produce a pair of updates in the following days, but i'm not sure i'll have enough time. Meanwhile, enjoy this mini-update :)

Attachments

• stm089.jpg
    stm089.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 714
  • stm090.jpg
    stm090.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 693
lurker's comment: Excellent, an update :mwaha:

I now feel like a genius for posting in the Civ3 Corner article that there will be a lot of stories being updated soon. :evil:

Once again, thank you all :goodjob:
I found a little time to create a few more comics, and here they are:

It's 190 BC and the interturn is unusually full of events, with the Foreign Advisor playing the main role:

And then, it's the time for the Babylonians to ask us for an alliance, although, this time, it is not in our best interest to accept their request:

Meanwhile, the breeding of mongol people goes on. Another mongol settler is created, by abandoning the breeder city, and a national one is already there to take its place. Also, a mongol worker is ready to join in:

Next turn, our troops have reached the outskirts of Mecca and prepare for a bloody battle:

I should be able to post a further update before i dwell once again into the GotM competition, so stay tuned!

Attachments

• stm093.jpg
    stm093.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 623
  • stm092.jpg
    stm092.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 634
  • stm091.jpg
    stm091.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 647
  • stm094.jpg
    stm094.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 598
Turd the regular legionary scored his kill, but did not promote. Next turn he also repeated himself against a skirmisher, but once again no promotion for him :( But then, his fellow trooper Lazyass comes into the fight and by killing another skirmisher he achieves veteran promotion!

(Note: Lazyass and Turd were the very first warriors ever trained by the Nerd empire, long long long long ago).

Meanwhile, another stack of troops is outside the Arabian city of Damascus, our designated future capital:

On the diplomatic front, Isabella of the Spaniards finally agrees to talk about peace:

The offensive against Arabia goes on, and with our troops at the outskirts of Medina, something incredible happens: a big flow of troops and a stack of 10 enemy spears and warriors ending their turn outside the city under siege! If they stayed inside, the would have been enough to foil my attack, but with that bunch of losers out of the fight, the city falls easily. What was the AS thinking? :lol:

In the interturn, Mecca defects back to the Arabs, but the stationing troops outside are there exactly for that reason, and the recapture is guaranteed:

And with this update, the story once again pauses for a month or so. In the meantime i'll be competing in the last GotM. See you soon, followers!

Attachments

• stm095.jpg
    stm095.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 603
  • stm096.jpg
    stm096.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 566
  • stm097.jpg
    stm097.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,198
  • stm098.jpg