say cheese!

What's your overall favorite cheese for sandwiches?

• Cheddar

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Monterey Jack

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Pepper Jack

• Colby

• Swiss

• Provolone

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Mozzarella

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • American

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Farmer's Cheese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Munster

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • other

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

allan

Cabrón
Well, we got the mayo vs. mustard poll going. So how about your favorite sandwich cheese all-around? I know, if you're like me, you may use a different cheese depending on the meat in your sandwich, but what do you tend to like THE MOST?

For me it's pepper jack (Monterey jack cheese with red and jalapeno pepper bits embedded in it). Mmmmm....

What on earth is farmer's cheese? Surely all cheeses have farmers involved in their production somewhere. You seem to have gone for a selection of mostly American, mostly hard cheeses, and I would like some more blue cheeses on the list too. My grandfather used to go to the farmers' market and buy a cheddar that was so mature it would burn your mouth much like chilli peppers do. That was quite scary when I was a child, but I'd dearly love to get some nowadays. I also love stilton and rocquefort (as mentioned in the sandwich condiment thread) but for some strange reason am not overly keen on Italian blue cheeses. Danish is very pleasant though. :)
The absence of some of the most classic cheeses: brie and camembert, astonishes me. I prefer camembert to brie but it is very rare that you can get good French soft cheeses in Britain as there is some kind of geographical cheese spoil line halfway across the channel. Melting camembert on a hot baguette is wonderful..... :) For cooking, ricotta and feta are excellent, stilton again, and I have to use fresh mozarella in my lasagne or I won't be satisfied. Recently I stole a recipe from my mother for which you bake a potato, cut it in half afterwards and scoop out the cooked potato. You then mash the potato with a soft cheese (garlic and herb Boursin is the best :goodjob:), and use the mixture to fill the empty potato skins. My girlfriend loves it and hassles me to make it all the time. Maybe if I promised to make it more often then she might let me play the Civ 2 GOTMs on her computer...... :nya2:

I agree with the 'Duke' some more blue cheeses on the list would encompass my preferences.

Some of my favourites are from King Island, located between Victoria and Tasmania in Bass Strait. Camembert, Brie, Blue Vein to name a few. Freshly grated Parmesan on some pasta dishes is a must.

I love cheese but I have to limit my intake because of the prevelance of heart disease in my family - that really cheeses me off! :nono:

This thread reminded me of something I've always been curious about - what the hell is "American cheese" and what is the great patriotic attachment that seems to go along with it? I've heard it referred to in such terms in various US TV shows . Is American Cheese actually a type of cheese or just cheese that happens to be American?

And Boursin is my favourite cheese, BTW.

I don't know much about American Cheese (The type, not all cheeses in America), other than the fact that it lacks flavor.

Cheese is a wonderful thing. Glorious in fact. I find the Dairy comercial that says that we went to the moon and discovered it wasn't made out of cheese....We haven't been back since.

Cheese is just great! Except for Bleu cheese. I don't like that for some reason. Oh well, cheese still kicks ass!

American Cheese is a type of cheese. It isn't really much like cheese at all. It is pasteurized food that comes in a twelve pack of manufactured slices. The packages even say cheese "food" not just "cheese". It is horribly disgusting.

Me? I like Pepperjack cheese, it is pretty good. For more common cheeses I eat, mozzarela and provolone are among my favorites. I usually eat them straight...

Danish Blue is without question my favourite cheese, but the most important qualifier in the question is 'sandwich cheese'. To which I would say Cheddar, which is what I voted for.
I really wouldn't want blue cheese in a sandwich, it would't seem right.
With port and crackers, mm mm!

By the way Moterrey jack is just mild cheddar (american type, not enblish) with out food dye. I voted cheddar (sharp) because it has a flavor that complements and stand up to more flaverful salamis and goes well with mustard, and the texture and desity is a good match, also.

Now for eating cheeses on their own. I find the English the best in the world (The French can suck my Stilton and kiss my Chessire).

A few notable exclusions:

Havarti
Feta
Brie

all so very splendid!

[drool] mmmm cheese mmmm ooohh hooo hoooo hooo [/drool]

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Cheese is slimy and foul tasting. I can think of no more disgusting "food" substance except mayonnaise.

Okay, I was hungry enough sitting here waiting for lunch, now I'm starving!! :eek:

My own fault for looking into this thread, I suppose :crazyeyes

Originally posted by Jimcat
NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Cheese is slimy and foul tasting. I can think of no more disgusting "food" substance except mayonnaise.

:eek: That's blasphemy to people all over the world! How can you say such a thing! I think this calls for an immediate banning, and if not that then we will send Sixchan over to your house to deal out some punishment :whipped: ;)

Cheese is one of the greatest things to ever happen on this otherwise dull planet. I love all cheeses, though my favorite is chedder, the sharper the better. There's a place on the Oregon coast called Tillamook that makes the best cheese.

Everybody thinks I'm really weird here in the dorm (and they're right!) because the food I keep in my room consists of cheese (extra sharp Tillamook chedder), crackers, apples, and dried fruit and nuts mixtures, all sent from home. :D

Originally posted by Apollo

Everybody thinks I'm really weird here in the dorm (and they're right!) because the food I keep in my room consists of cheese (extra sharp Tillamook chedder), crackers, apples, and dried fruit and nuts mixtures, all sent from home. :D

:lol: My friend brought back a bag of camembert home from our school trip to France.

Gouda or mozzarella for me...

Scratch that. Gouda AND mozzarella!

That's blasphemy to people all over the world! How can you say such a thing! I think this calls for an immediate banning, and if not that then we will send Sixchan over to your house to deal out some punishment

*Cracks knuckles*

Heh, heh.

*Cracks whip*

:nya2: :whipped:

Behold, the power of Cheese...

American is a chese, and it comes in other ways then described, and it's great for sandwhiches.

If fact, nothing goes better with Bolona and Mustard...yummmmm!

Top Bottom