Scandinavian wonders

Red_warning

Warlord
Since the vikings first were included in Civ II I have waited for the addition of Scandinavian wonders, and was hoping for one to be included in Gathering Storm, but alas it was seemingly not meant to be. So in my boredom I've decided to create this thread to brainstorm some potential wonders that could be included either in a third expansion (if we are that lucky) or in some future iteration of the game. Since I'm Swedish I'm going to focus primarily on Swedish wonders.

You are welcome to list your own suggestions!

Uppsala heathen temple
Semi-legendary temple of great importance to the pagan Scandinavians, either classical or medieval era. While its existence is undisputed we can't say for certain what it looked like. Most likely a wooden structure, and in one description by Adam of Bremen it is said to be surrounded by a golden chain. It would also have been surrounded be large burial mounds and rune stones, giving it a proper pagan feel. I feel like a combination of a faith and a military bonus of sorts would work well here, to highlight the warlike aspect of the Norse faith and to give the player an opportunity to combo this with Norway's (the viking age representative in civ 6) bonuses.

Spoiler :

Visby city wall
To my knowledge this is the only surviving city wall of north European style. While probably not strictly wondrous at the time of its construction (most medieval cities had these kinds of walls) the legacy of Visby city wall has proven more important, giving us an idea of how a walled north European medieval city might have looked like. To reflect this I think it would be cool if the wall itself gave perhaps only a slight bonus to defence over a regular medieval wall, but unlocked a big culture and tourism bonus after the industrial era.

Spoiler :

Stockholm city hall
Industrial era wonder. Beside being the seat of the city council, the Nobel prize is handed out here annually. The interior is far more impressive than the exterior, from the beautifully decorated Blue hall, where the Nobel banquet takes place, to the Golden hall, made almost entirely out of gold. Would be apt if this gave some sort of diplomacy bonus.

Spoiler :

Engelsbergs bruk
Renaissance era iron mill, highly advanced for its time. Should be built on an iron resource to give bonus resources, production and great engineer points.

Spoiler :

Vasa museum
A museum complex built around a salvaged 17th century warship. Modern era, should consume a shipwreck on its completion and provide high amount of tourism.

Spoiler :

Globen arena
I'm not sure if the game needs more arenas, but you never know. Its distinct shape makes it easily recognisable. How about a rock band generation bonus?

Spoiler :

Muskö naval base
Hewn from a rocky island, one of Sweden's most ambitious military projects during the cold war. Moderna era, and must be built on a mountain next to a sea tile. Maybe a production boost to ships?

Spoiler :

Last edited:
There is one Scandinavian natural wonder represented in the game, the Lysefjord, so I'm gonna list a few Swedish ones that I think could make the cut.

Sarek
Sarek is a mountain chain and national park located in north-most Sweden. Sacred to the Sami people and an important tourist site, it could give a bonus to either faith and/or culture.

Spoiler :

Fårö
Fårö is an island situated north of Gotland in the middle of the Baltic sea. The shores are filled with these odd looking rock formations.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
I‘d prefer more natural wonders from Scandinavia (and Iceland).

As for world wonders, my favorite is Uraniborg.

Your list has some good options, but I dislike the Vasa Museum. While the Vasa is impressive and its story is funny, the museum is not a world wonder imho.

I‘d prefer more natural wonders from Scandinavia (and Iceland).

As for world wonders, my favorite is Uraniborg.

Your list has some good options, but I dislike the Vasa Museum. While the Vasa is impressive and its story is funny, the museum is not a world wonder imho.

The the concept of the Vasa museum is unique enough that I think it could warrant being a great wonder, but I must concede that the building itself is an unimpressive box and might not quite cut it. Uraniborg would be a great addition as this game seem to lack observatories for some odd reason.

How about the Nidaros Cathedral? they may include the first version of it when built. The castle of Kronborg and Frederiksborg in Denmark are beautiful buildings.

The Nidaros cathedral is perhaps the most historically important church structure in Scandinavia, I like it.

I'd love to see the Engelsbergs bruk as a bit of an industrial fanatic who almost always builds the Ruhr Valley I'd love to see some more industrial wonders. Muskö naval base would also be pretty cool as there are few atomic wonders.

P.S how was the Engelsbergs Bruk advanced for its time, what technical processes were different than other ironworks of its time, I checked Wikipedia but it doesn't say.

I'd love to see the Engelsbergs bruk as a bit of an industrial fanatic who almost always builds the Ruhr Valley I'd love to see some more industrial wonders. Muskö naval base would also be pretty cool as there are few atomic wonders.

P.S how was the Engelsbergs Bruk advanced for its time, what technical processes were different than other ironworks of its time, I checked Wikipedia but it doesn't say.

I'm no engineer but the interior looks very mechanically complex for its time (late 1600s).

Edit: found a pretty meaty link, seems like some of the interior is from the 1700s

Last edited:
From all of those it seems like the Vasa Museum has the more to offer, in that shipwrecks get lumped with the rest of archeological digs, it would be nice take advantage of it if you control a lot of coasts.

Vemork
Industrial era. Power plant directly outside the city of Rjukan in Norway originally constructed for fertilizer production and was the largest power plant in the world when completed. Also produced smaller amounts of heavy water which piqued both Allied and German interest during WWII, with the production eventually being exclusively focused on heavy water production after the German occupation, leading to several raids by Brits, Norwegians and Americans due to the Allied belief at the time that the Germans were well on their way building a nuclear weapon using heavy water. Part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site which encompasses the cities of Rjukan and Notodden. As for gameplay elements, maybe a required adjacency to a mountain and a river, with the bonuses being something like extra production to farms in the city in which it is built?
Spoiler Vemork :

Svalbard Global Seed Vault
Modern/Information Era. A seed bank near the town of Longyearbyen on the Svalbard archipelago which is intended to prevent any loss of seeds for plants and food in the event of large regional or global crises. As of November 2018, 983,524 seed samples are stored in the vault out of a maximum capacity of 4,5 million samples. Gameplay-wise, could perhaps prevent loss of food in case of nuclear attacks or severe natural disasters, and/or give an opportunity to grant other civs food in case of disasters on their territory for large amounts of diplomatic favour.
Spoiler Seed Vault :

Bryggen
Medieval Era. A line of Hanseatic buildings in the central part of Bergen in Norway, where the Hanseatic League established a kontor around 1350. UNESCO World Heritage Site. Obviously it would incur certain trade bonuses, though I am not sure what.
Spoiler Bryggen :

May or may not edit this later with more suggestions (would have put in Nidaros Cathedral but it's already been suggested)

The Kontor in Bergen is a good idea for a trade wonder. Yet, there are other cities than come to mind first when thinking of the Hansa, mostly on the other side of the Baltic & North Sea. I admit that I'm probably biased due to growing up in Germany, but for me, it's Lübeck, Danzig or Hamburg that comes up first when thinking of the Hansa. And for a Kontor kind of wonder, the Speicherstadt in Hamburg would be my first choice (although this was build much later, after the Hansa ceded to exist).

I feel like the Danevirke, a great wall that separated Jutland from the rest of Europe, could probably become a wonder as well but I'm not sure how it could be implemented. It's essentially a mini-great Chinese wall.

Spoiler :

or perhaps Drottningholm palace, residency of the Swedish royal family.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
If the Great Wall of China is an improvement this time around, I really don't think some random city's wall is going to pass as a wonder. The closest I'd go is the Berlin Wall, because it's actually known throughout the world for more than just defense of a city: it's known for defense of an ideology.
But, that's not something Scandinavian, so I'd probably say Pulpit Rock as a natural wonder would fit.
For world wonders, maybe Turning Torso or the Neutron Eye.

But, that's not something Scandinavian, so I'd probably say Pulpit Rock as a natural wonder would fit.
Pulpit Rock is already in the game, though not by itself. It is featured on Lysefjord's model.

Also, something I noticed just two days ago: looking at the top right of the model, you can see Kjeragbolten as well.

It just struck me that the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjärvi could become a cool wonder that requires a snow or tundra tile.

Spoiler :

If the Great Wall of China is an improvement this time around, I really don't think some random city's wall is going to pass as a wonder. The closest I'd go is the Berlin Wall, because it's actually known throughout the world for more than just defense of a city: it's known for defense of an ideology.
For world wonders, maybe Turning Torso or the Neutron Eye.

Well, as a mechanic entirely dedicated to a specific civ I'd actually rank it as being "above" a great wonder.

I am actually baffled that people want Drottningholm Palace as a wonder, merely because that's where the royal family lives

It's a dollar store knock-off of Versailles

I am actually baffled that people want Drottningholm Palace as a wonder, merely because that's where the royal family lives

It's a dollar store knock-off of Versailles

Drottningholm is older than Versailles (if you go by construction start) :p

How about some more unique but lesser known buildings then, like the Royal Dramatic Theatre

Spoiler :

or the Nordic Museum (could be combined with the Vasa museum which is right next door)

Spoiler :

Other than that I think Skansen definitely could become a wonder as the oldest and one of the biggest outdoor museums, but it would perhaps infringe too much on Sweden's unique building.

Last edited:
Nordic Museum is another one of those buildings people get the wrong idea about. It's not as one might suggest the Nordic equivalent of Rijksmuseum or British Musuem, but merely a cultural history museum that isn't really that impressive on an international scale, either.

Personally, I'd actually go for Skogskyrkogården, since it has actual influence on architecture worldwide. See the description UNESCO gives the site

Someone else mentioned Globe Arena, which I find to be a good candidate as well, due to its very unique shape, which is really important when it comes to rating aesthetic monumentalilty. Fun fact, the Globe Arena was mainly built to host hockey matches. You know? The thing Not Sweden is supposedly unique about?

EDIT: Oh, and the Vasa Museum is a great pick as well; if I remember correctly, its main attraction, the Vasa shipwreck, is the largest object in the world being preserved in the manner which it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom