Science Officer Ammendment to the Tribal Government Act of 4000 BC

Do you support the Science Office Amendment to the Tribal Government Act of 4000 BC

• Yes

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Abstain

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grant2004

Citizen
As suggested by Hyronymus I've brought the Science Office initiative to a poll, with the intention of creating this office as soon as possible, the name of this office is trivial and I would request that citizens follow Hyronymus' flow chart on how to vote so that the office can be created quickly, and renamed afterwards.

1. Do you agree definition of the Science Office
If yes: continue to point 2
If no: vote against this initiative

2. Do you agree with the name of the Office?
If yes: continue to point 3
If no: vote in favour of this initiative and amend this initiative after it's been successfully tried

3. Do you agree with the name for the Officer?
If yes: vote in favour of this initiative
If no: vote in favour of this initiative and amend this initiative after it's been successfully tried

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Science Office Amendment to the Tribal Government Act of 4000 BC

Purpose: Our nation has developed to the level that scientific research is now of critical importance for our survival. Therefore this amendment will establish the office of head scientist, who will be responsible for the technological advancement of our great nation.

Section 1:
The following paragraph will be added after the paragraphs describing the office of Elder (or Governor should that initiative pass first)

A Head Scientist will be responsible for the tech path of our civilization. He will issue research orders before each turnchat. The Head Scientist is encouraged to submit long term research proposals, but should be ready to adjust these in accordance with the wishes of citizens. The Head Scientist will also have the power to make recommendations to Elders concerning the research output of their cities, as well as recommending changes to the tax rate to the Chieftain.

I agree with the initiative in spirit (in other words I agree we could use a science officer) and I think the inclusion of the flow chart is innovative and worthwhile. I do not care what the officer is called but I did vote no for two other reasons.

First is that it is offered as an amendment to another initiative or law. I haven't the time nor inclination to review the law being modified so I have no idea how this proposal fits into that law. I would have been more inclined to vote yes had this been offered as a stand alone law authorizing a science official.

Second, I would have voted yes had this been a simple initiative authorizing a science official to post game play instructions regarding the tech to be researched. The extra verbage about proposing and recommending (and escpecially the part about adjusting according to the wishes of the citizens) was the final tipping point to convince me to vote no. Anyone can propose long term plans, anyone can recommend things to our officials and all officials must adjust their plans to the plans of citizens as a whole. Codifying these here makes it seem as though these apply only to the science officer when they do not.

On Donsig's second point, you are correct, it probably wasn't the best idea to codify such things, however there was a bit of fear that a science officer would simply dictate research goals. Were the amendment still being drafted I think it would be a wise choice to change the wording, maybe when the office is renamed a few additional tweaks might be worked in.

As for the first point, I placed this as an amendment because the Tribal Government Act of 4000 BC details the role of elected offices, and I believed it was, from an organizational point of view, the best place to put the description of the science office.

In anticipation that this initiative may be approved by the citizens, those interested in being appointed to the new office should drop off an application at the Chieftain's hut.

Top Bottom