Science Preferencies

invector

Warlord
I keep hearing about optional techs and must-have techs, so can someone tell me which techs should be gotten ASAP?

My guesses(in order):

Bronze Working for Spearmen
Philosophy for free tech
Republic to switch to republic asap
currency to get marketplaces

-

Feudalism to get Pikemen and Medieval Infantry, might get for Sun Tzu's too
Gunpowder to get Musketmen
Military Tradition to get Cavalry
Either Economics or Music Theory for wonders

-

Steam Power for railroads
Replaceable parts for Infantry and Artillery and faster workers, and also for engineers
Motorized etc for Tanks
Flight for bombers
Electronics for Hoover Dam

-

Computers for Mech Infantry
Synthetic Fibers for Modern Armor
Robotics for Radar Artillery

halp :crazyeye:

Really so much is dependant on the level, the map size, the victory choice. For example, I do not need spears in non AW games till at least Emperor. Philo sling is going to be very hard to get above DG.

Not interested in Republic, if AW. Do I expect to make some trades at the AA level in this game? Are barbs on or not, if on map and level that allow me to get some AA techs popped? If higher levels maybe I want to pick a path that increases my chances of a monopoly tech to trade, rather than what I need most.

Really so much is dependant on the level, the map size, the victory choice. For example, I do not need spears in non AW games till at least Emperor. Philo sling is going to be very hard to get above DG.

Not interested in Republic, if AW. Do I expect to make some trades at the AA level in this game? Are barbs on or not, if on map and level that allow me to get some AA techs popped? If higher levels maybe I want to pick a path that increases my chances of a monopoly tech to trade, rather than what I need most.

I already know these, but what I need to know is which tech is usually more important than the other tech, like Engineering and Theology, or Computers and Recycling.

Except that vmxa's point (it depends) is entirely valid. For example, I'll give my responses to your guesses, which will probably vary from the regulars' - and as an aside, I play as Regent-Monarch level, so that will change as you go up or down levels. Finally, "optional tech" usually refers explicitly the optional techs - the ones you don't need to research to complete an Age.
Bronze Working for Spearmen
Philosophy for free tech
Republic to switch to republic asap
currency to get marketplaces
Unless I plan to get IW early on for Swords or Gallic Warriors, I tend to wait for BW until later; unless you're doing a lot of defending, Warriors are better and cheaper. Philo-Republic I usually go for, but I don't usually expect to get Philo first - for me, it's more that it's on the route to Republic. Currency tends to be something I get towards the end of the AA; I much prefer Literature so I can start planting Libraries everywhere, as I normally play Scientific civs. EDIT: Also, if there aren't many Hills/Mountains around, I usually go for Archers so I have decent fighters.

Feudalism to get Pikemen and Medieval Infantry, might get for Sun Tzu's too
Gunpowder to get Musketmen
Military Tradition to get Cavalry
Either Economics or Music Theory for wonders
I almost completely invert this. I usually get Feudalism first thing, but then I beeline the upper path, turtling until I get Banks, then trade for the lower path techs. If I don't have a Cavalry UU, sometimes I completely skip MT (I have horrible luck leader-fishing). I don't often try to get Sun Tzu's unless I am certain I'm the first into the Middle Ages.

Steam Power for railroads
Replaceable parts for Infantry and Artillery and faster workers, and also for engineers
Motorized etc for Tanks
Flight for bombers
Electronics for Hoover Dam
Rails and then Replaceable Parts, although at that point what I get next is pretty academic. Scientific Method is usually something I go for soon afterwards, for the ToE, but I usually research the bottom path first just to get them out of the way and then go for Amphibious Warfare before Tanks and Planes. Then again, by the time I get to researching Tanks, I tend to be in a virtually unassailable position.

Computers for Mech Infantry
Synthetic Fibers for Modern Armor
Robotics for Radar Artillery
Again, at this point it's pretty academic, and this part of the game is the most heavily influenced by the WinCon (IMO) - are you going for Diplomacy, Space, or Culture? If so, you'll usually want to beeline for the techs you're going to need to get those (if you haven't already won a Culture, the Internet is probably enough to push you up). If you're going for a military win, it's pretty much preference.

I already know these, but what I need to know is which tech is usually more important than the other tech, like Engineering and Theology, or Computers and Recycling.

What I am saying is I have no idea of what is important, unless I know what the game is set at. Theology is never improtant to me, I do not make cath nor go for culture. I don't play into the modern age, unless I am conquesting only.

Recycle is not going to be important to me even then as I few factories. Computers for Mechs may be important, depends on if I have to invade or not.

What are the optional techs beside these:

Chivalry
Democracy
Free Artistry
Fascism
Communism
Advanced Flight
Amphibious War

Literature
Monarchy
Republic
Navigation
Economics
Music Theory
Espionage
Sanitation
Recycling(?)

Those plus:
MA - Printing Press, Military Tradition.

IA - Nationalism, Ironclads,

There are no optional techs in the modern age (as there is no age after it, so recycling isn't optional - though, many people opt to not research it ;)

As far as what techs to research:

In the AA, if I can easily self-research and have trade partners, I generally go Alpha/writing/CoL/Philo/Republic, then see what is still unknown - probably currency/construction - AI will usually get the mil and religious techs for you and you can trade.

Might pick up pottery first if I don't have it.

In the MA, I generally diverge:

Might beeline chivalry
Might beeline mil trad.
Might beeline astronomy
Might beeline Free Artistry (in a 20K game)

IA - steam/Industrialization, almost every game. I can't think of a time where I've done otherwise.

After that, rep parts beeline, then either flight or motorized transport, depending on what I'm doing. I might make a stop at sanitation, depending on level, though I might trade for it later.

In the MA, it just depends.

FULL LIST OF OPTIONAL TECHS:

ANCIENT:

LITERATURE
REPUBLIC
MONARCHY

MEDIEVAL:

CHIVALRY
DEMOCRACY
FREE ARTISTRY
NAVIGATION
ECONOMICS
MUSIC THEORY
PRINTING PRESS
MILITARY TRADITION

INDUSTRIAL:

FASCISM
COMMUNISM
ADVANCED FLIGHT
AMPHIBIOUS WAR
ESPIONAGE
NATIONALISM
IRONCLADS

tell me if I'm missing anything...

Electricity is a good tech.

Steam may be the the only "must have" tech in the game. Railroads help you with production, food and military.

Electricity is a good tech.

Steam may be the the only "must have" tech in the game. Railroads help you with production, food and military.

Agree. Steam Power is incredible. It's always my first pick in the Industrial Age. I might even build a few more workers while waiting for it. It's also on the line for Replaceable Parts, another incredibly useful tech. This is usually where I start the final push toward military victory.

OT: Does anybody actually research Ironclads?

A few times in very large games I researched while waiting for the ToE to finish. This allowed me to make a few Clads that could grabble with frigates and then upgrade to destroyers. Probably not more that 4 or 5 times.

Once or twice in Sid games, where I could sell it around. That is not very often in all these years.

I built one or two ironclads back when it came with railroads iirc, I never make them now. Late game, I have 1-2 battleships, 4-5 destroyers(for speed) and AEGIS Cruisers all over the sea. They are good both offensively and defensively, can see submarines, can bombard 2 tiles, etc etc etc. I find it more useful to wait for destroyers and build them, then cruisers, then upgrade them.

Ironclads are a waste of time, I love destroying them with bombers though. What are Aegis cruisers, I think I built one about 50 games ago, its rare I get to that stasge before winning.
Steam power is essential, helps with growth in CxxC cities and the production is necessary at this stage in the game. With rails, artillery and infantry the AI is dead.

Agree. Steam Power is incredible. It's always my first pick in the Industrial Age. I might even build a few more workers while waiting for it. It's also on the line for Replaceable Parts, another incredibly useful tech. This is usually where I start the final push toward military victory.

OT: Does anybody actually research Ironclads?

I actually researched Ironclads at 50 turns in one of the older COTM games (was the Celts one on Deity -- my game also featured a Great Library capture into the industrial age with a bunch of bombarding gallic swordsmen against rifles), and got it as a monopoly tech, so that was fun.

Top Bottom