Scientists Agree - We are Ruining the World

And what guarantee do we have that these scientists are correct? Because there's so many of them? I doubt that 2500 is a significant percentage of the total number of scientists studying the Earth in a planet of six billion. For all we know, this could just be a group of 'activist' scientists, who get their brownie points for forecasting the doomsday scenario we're all so afraid of.

Be honest, all of you: if the same group of scientists came out with this report, did everything the same, and said that "everything is okay, it's not going to be as bad as we thought, and the world just doesn't suck as much as you think," would any of you give a damn what they said? I doubt it, beause for some reason you seem to WANT things to suck.

Err, this isn't some random report, its the UN report.

You claimed that they were activist scientists who published the report for alarmist points, which is incorrect, since the UN is an gigantic international organization, not your local Green Party.

No, I said that no one would listent to them if they didn't make some extraordinary claim, just like activists would.

And what guarantee do we have that these scientists are correct? Because there's so many of them? I doubt that 2500 is a significant percentage of the total number of scientists studying the Earth in a planet of six billion. For all we know, this could just be a group of 'activist' scientists, who get their brownie points for forecasting the doomsday scenario we're all so afraid of.
Wishful thinking. It's not a "doomsday scenerio", it's a consensus, some individual sceientists most likely predict worse.

Be honest, all of you: if the same group of scientists came out with this report, did everything the same, and said that "everything is okay, it's not going to be as bad as we thought, and the world just doesn't suck as much as you think," would any of you give a damn what they said?
I would give a damn.

I doubt it, beause for some reason you seem to WANT things to suck.
I admit, it will be cool to see people forced to change their ways and to see people learn to cherish community and sustainability over objects and profit. It will feel good to survive while others cling to the sinking ship. It won't feel good to see suffering of others but it will to help them and to (as a whole) come out of this stronger.

Whatever will be will be.
I prefer MobBoss's "/shurg", most honest and consise.

No, I said that no one would listent to them if they didn't make some extraordinary claim, just like activists would.

Which scientists, excluding those under the pay of major petroleum corporations :mischief: and others politically motivated, are not making "extraordinary" claims concerning global warming?

Those scientists have serious attitude problems, they need to think more positively.

It's been the prevailing attitude of most humans for thousands of years. With limited wealth, unlimited human wants, and a whole host of problems plaguing us, some of our problems will be shoved onto the back burner because we simply don't have the knowledge or the resources to eliminate all of them at once.

Some of today's problems are simply going to have to be left to future generations, and that's the end of it.

Oh yes, it's too hard for us. Forget it. Who cares if we are the leading cause for a future catastrophy :rolleyes: Now, I'm not a scientist, but it's pure logic. Even if we are not the reason for climate rises, would it kill us to be more environmental friendly? On one hand we try to reorganize a healthy industry, and it might help or may not. On the other hand we do nothing and the consequences are inevitably going to be disasterous. The only difference is OUR effort. If we're going to wield power over nature WE have to take the REPSONSIBILITIES.

Sure, this procrastination may pattern attitudes from the past, but doesn't the fact that people are recognizing our mistakes a sign that we CAN change? Shouldn't we be the generation to start?

Those scientists have serious attitude problems, they need to think more positively.

911 Caller : Sir, please, send someone quick. There's a man in my house trying to rape me!
VX250 : You've got a serious attitude problem miss. He probably just thinks you're choking and is trying to get in position to give you the Heimlich maneuver. Stop tying up the line!

the next day...

VX250 : What do you mean I'm fired and criminally negligent??? :mad: :confused:

Scientists think realisitcally, however the thread title was not that of scientists rather that of hippy journalists. One must be very careful when reading press reports of scientific research for sensationalism and broader claims.

Even 65% of Americans are smart enough to think that global warming is a threat.

Scientists think realisitcally, however the thread title was not that of scientists rather that of hippy journalists. One must be very careful when reading press reports of scientific research for sensationalism and broader claims.
So, you're saying we should soften and sugar coat everything?

what is anybody doing about it all i hear is confirmations and "i told you so" over and over again am i suppose to go and fix the world by myself or something?? CAN WE STOP POINTING FINGERS AND WORK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!

what is anybody doing about it all i hear is confirmations and "i told you so" over and over again am i suppose to go and fix the world by myself or something?? CAN WE STOP POINTING FINGERS AND WORK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!
I post this stuff so people do start making changes in their own lives and remember that, like all other organisms, we are dependent on the Earth and should do our best to respect it and make ecologically sound economic, personal, social and political decisions.

Also, it pays to think of future decisions in life in a context of sustainability. People are accustomed to thinking of nature as an enemy to be conquered and kept at bay rather than something to be worked with and maintain balance with. The problem with that thinking is that, in the end, nature always wins.

Top Bottom