Scions Origins?

Just makes Xiven all the more amusing, to me, now.

A bit long and wordy for me to wrap my head around. Something about an angel of Esus being the Risen Emperor. Spark-notes version, please?

Spark Notes for the Lazy
(I read over it and this is what I understand. Im completely capable of being wrong.)

Spoiler :

The Risen Emperor is an Arch-Angel of Esus, named Rahserat, and the Scions are all souls who had worshipped Laroth, but due to an errand that Rahserat performed for Esus, were decieved into worshiping him (that is, Rahserat), and are now bound to his will (of sorts). They are actively lured out of the afterlife and into the Scion empire.

Rahserat is either the Arch-Angel of Good Intentions, or the one of Regret, depending on his alignment.

Korina is a Demi-God and daughter of an Arch-Angel of Arawn, who is fostered by Rahserat.

Themoc is the incarnation of the eyes of the Emperor.

Rahserat is also apperantly responsible for the spree of magical creatures created by the Patrian age.

That doesn't seem to fit the lore very well.

I assume that by Arch-Angel you just mean a powerful Angel not the actual Archangel of the precept, right? The Archangel of Esus is known to be named Iaegus.

What do you mean Demi-God?

Again, I assume you just mean a powerful angel, not that Korina is the daughter of either Basium or his twin sister Gyra.

To the best of my knowledge, Angels/Demons are only able to mate and produce offspring with mortals, not with each other, and the offspring are all mortals. I know of no cases where the father was the mortal parent, so it may mean that only mortal women can bear children. It also seems that children always inherit their mother's mortality. Os-Gabella's biological children would be immortal and very powerful (if Aeron had his way she would have born him a race of demigods), but she would never go for that.

Esus is known to strongly dislike the undead. I suppose that the Scions may possess a certain subtlety that other undead lack and so aren't as bad, but it still doesn't seem to fit to me. Esus mostly prefers to rely on living beings. Even in his hell most of his servants are alive rather than processed souls or true demons.

The Emperor was an angel of esus, not archangel.

Korrina is Gyra's daughter, and therefore immortal... No, it hasn't happened in any other lore but that doesn't mean impossible, only that males are more easily tempted by mortals.

Esus sent Rahserat to Arawn's vault in order to weaken Arawn, and open his vault to Hell, in order to 'save' the world from the One... I think that fits his lore.

While in Arawn's vault, Rahserat persuaded souls to join Laroth, always believing he was doing what was best for Erebus... He disliked Laroth however, and came to doubt that he was any better... His doubts manifested themselves in Arawn's realm as a false Laroth. This imposter was the one the majority of the souls Rahserat influenced went to, and he obeyed Rahserat's commands completely... This is the source of the Scions.

There is mention of a 'Hidden Queen'... Thinking this is Ceridwen. She aids Rahserat in his entrance to Arawn's realm, in return for information Esus promised her. Rahserat believed he delivered the info... Unfortunately Esus had decieved her, and his message was empty.

He left the vault early, after realizing that the False Laroth will be able to finish the job easily.... The Hidden Queen catches him as he leaves, and traps him in a place where all is one. I'm thinking this is a dimension Ceridwen created in order to kill the One... When everything is the same there can ultimately be no creation. This dimension is the Vault, from which awakened come... Over the centuries he was trapped there the False Laroth kept sending him souls.

Korrina had been sent ahead by Gyra, to open Rahserat's path back to Erebus. Gyra told him 'She knows who he is', which I believe means she sees his potential to fall from Esus's service, becoming the Angel of Regret (Get some angels in the alignment event). She had asked him to 'foster' Korrina, so she can experience life. After centuries of waiting, of testing the door on the same date each year, the door finally opened... Onto the Vault he had been trapped in. He was prevented from leaving through any existing path, but over time Korrina managed to forge a new one for him.

So who is Korrina's father? Anyone we know? Laroth maybe? I'm pretty sure it would have to be a living man rather than someone who died, but Laroth and Arak the Erkling's army did enter the Netherworld while still alive.

Edit: Wait, I just remembered that in Ashes of Brigdarrow it is explicitly stated that the Once Elves were unable to have children in the Netherworld. (An agent of Laroth gave this as the reason they left the Netherworld, as he did not want to mention his master. You can of course be forgiven for not knowing that, as that draft is not publicly available. I probably should really not have mentioned it) I'm thinking that the Netherworld is like Hell, in that the physical bodies of those who entered the world alive are transformed into the spirit bodies (which age based only on psychological state) like those of the realm's perditioners, so as to be compatible with the laws of physics that govern the vault. If Gyra was ever impregnated, it would have to have happened while she was in Erebus, or maybe in one of those liminal worlds like the Shadowed Vale that links the Netherworld to Erebus. Now that I think of it, the fact that Esus's hell is dominated by living beings that probably means that conception is possible there too. I'd guess that those in the heaven of the god of fertility might be fertile too, but I see no reason for Gyra to go to Amathaon's vault. Chances are the body of the mother would be unable to support a growing fetus if she returned to a world where bodies are not physical, and/or that the child would simply stop growing in the womb (as it must develop consciousness before it can have the changing mental states needed for growth or aging of any sort). It could be that Aasimar/Cambions with mortal fathers are extremely rare simply because the mother returning to her home plane while pregnant would mean a certain miscarriage.

Was Gyra is a willing relationship, or taken by force? I'd guess it was not really consensual, but that the nature of Death made her resign to the experience rather than keep fighting to defend her honor.

I'm not sure I like the Gyra/Korrina relationship.

Edit: It may well help me in my lore though...

I like the rest of the story, though. It could fit even more nicely with Bernado Juvenal's lore.

(Threadjack?)Why this amuses me so much:

Spoiler Xivan T'nava :
Xiven is an angel of Greed that fell with Mammon and was completely corrupted by his own precept - to the degree where he went partly insane and now wants to control all of the precepts, then all of creation by usurping the One. He seeks to do this by building an army of worshipers on Erebus and using them to set himself up as a (false) god. Whether this is actually doable is unimportant to the lore - as he's actually quite mad by now anyways.

This was something I'd established when making the Leader back in Fall Flat's days and had no idea about the true lore behind the Emperor - the first civ I let Xivan lead was the Scions, to boot. I had no idea they were already lead by an angel...

Will you be adding some scion specific ways to alter alignment? like buildings and such.It is extremely difficult to change your alignment without religion. At the moment, the only way really is to adopt overcouncil, rush medicine, and then spam cities and infirmaries all across the map, as I believe they're the only building which positively affects alignment atm.

Needless to say, city spam is hardly a viable strategy for the scions.

that said, feel free to add alignment modifiers in general, to all sorts of things. Maybe theatres, herbalists, carnivals, etc. Stuff that increase health and/or happiness would be fairly logical to have positve alignment modifiers, since you're doing them for the benefit of the people.

i just want to say that I was GRIPPED the entire way through by the stories. Just wow! That was amazing!

There is mention of a 'Hidden Queen'... Thinking this is Ceridwen.

Yeah. Rahserat avoids using names. It's an Esus-angel thing.

potential to fall from Esus's service, becoming the Angel of Regret

He's currently the Angel of Good Intentions, but could become the Angel of Regret. (I can see how that's unclear in the story.) The key thing I was thinking and wish I had expressed better is that even though he "fell" into rebellion he never lost or betrayed his assigned function/"precept".

So who is Korrina's father? Anyone we know?

Not Laroth. I do have someone from the Lore in mind, but I don't think a name was ever given. IIRC he more or less passed out of reckoning.

Having revealed so much else that had been a mystery I'd just as soon leave this a mystery. I like mysteries. Plus then I don't have to justify the nitty gritty details. And maybe someone will come up with a really good story...

i just want to say that I was GRIPPED the entire way through by the stories. Just wow! That was amazing!

Yea! Unambiguous praise. Killing spree canceled. Thanks.

I liked the Perpentach thing though D:

He's that crazy he leads a civ, and is the entire population of another, including the leader. While being a clown at the same time.

All the Joker has is a magic trick.

(Besides, I keep thinking of Kefka when I see Perpentach, so...)

Now you need to make the Scions not cause the game to go OOS like mad, and perhaps spawn awakened a little slower in the beginning so my mates don't cry foul when scion score jumps up early on...

because your story makes me not want to play any of the others!

I really enjoyed your story, but there is something i don't really understand and it keeps bugging me.

As Rahserat was confronted with Arawn, he had this reaction:
Suddenly unable to see, the god's demand hit Rahserat like a hammer blow. Was this how Iaegus fell?

What exactly happend to Iaegus? Did he die or did he just fall along with Esus? Or is it something different? And what is Arawn role in it?

What exactly happend to Iaegus? Did he die or did he just fall along with Esus? Or is it something different? And what is Arawn role in it?

IIRC that's wholly something interesting for the reader to chew on.

It's possible I read somewhere that Iaegus's disappearance or death is cannon, but I'm pretty sure that it's simply the case that Iaegus isn't discussed.

Rahserat certainly seems to think that something happened to Iaegus, and furthermore Iaegus might have been sent on the same mission before him. ("Fell" is used to mean "defeated" or "killed" in that quote.) But it should be pointed out that, as Esus' archangel, Iaegus might have assumed deep cover or just be completely concealing his activities. Rahserat would have no need to know.

Suggestions: Make upgrading korinna to the Red or the Black require a building? It's cool that she can destroy nations all on her own early in the game thanks to hero+Heroic strength 2 and her iron weapon but its not fair. Even Gilden silveric isnt quite so doom. This is mostly a problem with the Red, the Black cant take any of the cool conquest promotions like city raider anyways...

Oh and, I have to say, I love the story just as much, still! It's so great!

Top Bottom