September Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So either this is a change in policy or there’s content coming with the patch.

Don’t know if royale mode will be considered significant enough to be “new content.”

They added 6 achievements just for the multiplayer only 'War Machine' scenario in GS, so it's likely just all battle royale achievements, as much as I'd love for some sort of civ/alt leader pack to appear with the patch.

There's also new maps, though I don't think they added any achievements for the last round of new maps added.

Last edited:
I'd say its clearly for the new MP mode. Given the fact that they are teasing it's reveal and corporate overlords are looking at MP and always online / live service as key implements to increase revenue these days, I cannot see how it would not be related. That and the naming convention is a dead giveaway.

Just noticed there are 5 locked achievements.

nice find. I haven't opened steam in a while. Multiplayer achievements can be hard to get (unless they can be done in hotseat mode), but we'll see. Not that I'm against playing multiplayer, just want to find people with similar skill levels.

Geez, I hate how multiplayer infected the industry. It's the plague!

I'm not against multiplayer, it's been in civ since civ3 and alpha cenatauri. I think even civ2 had a mod that allowed it? I just don't want to see a push towards online only games.

Last edited:

MP is extremely important to me. I play Civ VI MP to stay connected with my best friend of 20 years in another state and I also enjoy it greatly with my partner.

Without hotseat in Civ V I'd never have gotten into the series so much.

I have played MP 2 times since civ v game out. Never finished any of the games. I have not any friends to play with either. But i like SP very mutch. It's relaxing to play SP so i hope it will get better with the AI

I personally don't care about multiplayer. The last game I played any noticeable amount of in multiplayer was Blood Bowl 2. It was quite fun, but it did require that I had ~1 hour of uninterruptible playtime, which is not a given for a family man. One of the nice things about single player turn based games is that they are, for all practical reasons, always paused, meaning I can walk away and do something else whenever I need to, and return to continue where I left off.

Aside from that, though, while I don't like it when multiplayer considerations limit what can be done for single player, I don't think this has been a particularly noticeable problem with Civ 6. I'm also sure Firaxis have plenty of data about how many people play the different modes to back up their decisions.

I kind of agree for certain games where developer attention obviously shifted to multiplayer at the cost of the previously-prioritized single player, like in Mass Effect 3. However I never really got the impression that Civ 6's single-player is being neglected because of multiplayer. Although to be honest I have to question how large of a percentage actually play multiplayer civ regularly... I can't imagine it's very high. I've played like 3k hours of Civ 5 and maybe 1.2k hours of Civ 6 and I've played multiplayer for probably under 5% of that time each, and I've never actually finished a MP game because everybody ends up wanting to stop around the industrial era when it's clear who'll win (to be fair, I do that to myself in some single player games too)

Civilization 5 was actually brilliant in multiplayer if you played with few trusted people on smallest map sizes and quick (I played in Polish league for some time), full of real emotions, dilemmas and outhinking opponents. Never had so much multiplayer fun in any other strategy game.

I had called Battle Royal 11 pages ago but it is the major trend.
Playing on Pangea with strangers hellbent on being last person standing is all too common. There's no real closure with a victory screen, just everyone conceding that they are out-gunned.
They will have to solve the "banned" civ problem on multiplayer like Sumeria, Scythia, and Nubia or else someone's going to have a massive advantage.

I don't know, a big all-out-war isn't really the reason I play civ. If that's the big new feature this patch I wish they would have spent their resources doing something else instead. People will like it though, i guess.

Well i am new to forums, didn't even know that they existed for civ. Since it was a standalone play by yourself game. heh. Not something that needed constant fixes. Buy the cd plop in yer drive and play from cd. Or at least that's how it was way back when, before the social media bonanza.
Now maybe if there is some Official release page i'm still unaware of that has more info and a date on it. Like GW2 usually shows a trailer one week before the patch goes live, but they also include the release date. This just says sept 2019 update with no comment on when exactly in sept that the patch goes live. I just saw the video when i opened the game and it is September! Normally i miss that video release update as i skip past it to open the game quickly. Then while playing I notice some minor changes to the game, which seems odd, then maybe a few months later notice that video update from 3 months ago. :D

I don't know, a big all-out-war isn't really the reason I play civ. If that's the big new feature this patch I wish they would have spent their resources doing something else instead. People will like it though, i guess.

I still wish there was a big Earth map. Take the "East Asia" sized map and make that Earth sized at that scale. The 2 that come with game "Earth" and "True start location Earth" are way too small.(one might be a mod, i can't tell) But I see why modders make their own maps, civ doesn't do the Earth maps justice. Honestly this is the whole reason i play this game. Realisitic EARTH MAPS! :D I tried using world builder to create my own, but there seems to be glitches with the current build and I can only use the map at the top of the saved maps list that i create. :( but anyways i hope those things are fixed with this new update patch. Or I'll just continue to accept its broken and won't use it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

They are treating their path like they do most things, some fixes to old items, some upgrades to old items, and some new stuff. It is a really nice balance and wonderful to see they are still engaged in the dev cycle so far past its prime sales. And keeping all types of players around is very important for that to continue. Sure some players will stick around forever regardless, but adding in new things to keep all kinds of players continuing to play is extremely important. No different than if they were to release a new scenario, offering up new ways to interact with the game is a very good thing for longevity.

I've found multiplayer the most fun if you play with 2 opposing teams so that it isn't just a single person who wins everything, and starting in the Industrial era or later helps immensely since the game won't just be starting from scratch like on Ancient era starts. It feels like no one uses this feature even though it's a great feature to use with multiplayer.
Also with team battles, reenacting some large war like the Seven Years War or one of the World Wars on a true start Earth map is especially fun. To make it more realistic, you start in the era before the war historically started, and once the in game year reaches the historical year, the war starts. Up to that point is about a dozen turns or so to set up your empire, which is much easier with the later era start which gives multiple settlers and a large starting pop for your capital.
I've probably had the most fun with Civ 6 playing in these team battles, it completely changes how the game is played in a way I really like.

I only play Civ in multiplayer.
And to be honest multiplayer in Civ has always been an afterthought, so I'm glad they are sometimes giving it some attention.

I couldn't care less about all the resources they've put in leader animations (which everyone turns off anyway), I'd rather wish they had diverted those resources for a better multiplayer experience from the get go.

I only play Civ in multiplayer.
And to be honest multiplayer in Civ has always been an afterthought, so I'm glad they are sometimes giving it some attention.

I couldn't care less about all the resources they've put in leader animations (which everyone turns off anyway), I'd rather wish they had diverted those resources for a better multiplayer experience from the get go.

Not one single person I personally know turns them off. What's the point of that? Low end computer or being in a giant hurry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom