SGFN-04: Ragnar for Secretary-General!

lurker's comment:

It might seem strange to be thinking about the end-game before you've even started, but have you considered how you will make sure that you are in the UN vote, bearing in mind that you will not be first to get Fission?

well - there are always horses and swords in AA to ensure that we have enough land and pop to enter election.

ready!

well - there are always horses and swords in AA to ensure that we have enough land and pop to enter election.

ready!

lurker's comment:

With respect, that's a bit simplistic for this variant, especially as it's only at Emperor; you will find it necessary to allow several AI civs to grow in peace in order to keep up the tech pace, and to allow you to broker trades between them; this is one variant where you don't really want to be numero uno.

I'm not saying that it can't be done that way, just that you would need to hope that the beta continent provided such civs, and that relies too much on luck for my taste.

We'll need a pre-build timed so that within a few turns of us getting it, we get it built before anyone else can finish it. It's going to be dicey no matter what.

ok I think we have a plan so lets start! :D

I never thought about SGL's, so yes, they are enabled. Sounds like it just get dicier around that time. Theres always the chance we could lose this one in many different ways. Just adds to the joy if we win. So far, this series has been basically won long before the AI could hope to win.

I have played out the first 20, things are looking pretty good so far, but I will let you read the turn-log to find out more, so here it is:

Spoiler :

Turn-set 1

Pre-flight: CivAssist 2, Word are up and running. Load the save.

4000 BC: Move settler NE 1. Start mining BG with worker

IBT: nada

3950 BC: Trondheim settled. Expansion reveals tundra:( Set tech slider to 0% where it will stay.

IBT: nada squared

3900 BC: zzzz

IBT: nada cubed

3850 BC: zzzz

IBT: exponent of nada

3800 BC: zzzz

IBT: some more nada

3750 BC: zzzz

IBT: Worker finishes mining BG.
Trondheim warrior=>warrior.

3700 BC: Name first warrior Erik the Red , moves SE to hill, pretty ugly over there. Start roading BG.

IBT: zzzz

3650 BC: Erik the Red S to mountain.

3600 BC: Erik the Red S to mountain, sees a cow and a goody hut:dance: Raise lux to 20% to prevent riots on growth.

IBT: Trondheim warrior=>warrior. Worker finishes roading BG.

3550 BC: Move worker to cow to irrigate. Name new warrior Leif Ericson.

3500 BC: Erik the Red pops goody hut and we get pottery! Begin watering the cow.

3450 BC: Erik the Red S, nothing special.

IBT: Purple spear shows up to our SW on our wines, Blue green warrior shows up S of Erik the Red.

3400 BC: Contact with Hittites, I trade WC for CB even up.

I then contact the Koreans and trade CB, WC, 59 gold and 3 gpt for BW.

We are even with Korea, and up 1 on Hittites with our first round of trades

3350 BC: Erik the Red E, finds a fur tile. Leif Ericson E finds more tundra.

IBT: Worker has watered the cow.

3300 BC: Both explorers SE, Erik the Red finds a goody hut! Worker starts roading the cow.

IBT: Trondheim worker=>curragh.

3250 BC: Erik the Red pops goody hut and we get Mysticism! Leif turns S. Move worker 2 to road wines.

3200 BC: Leif E, Erik S. nothing notable.

IBT: Worker 1 finishes roading the cow.

3150 BC: Leif SE, Erik S. Erik spots another goody hut. Move worker 1 to second BG.

IBT: worker 2 finishes roading the wines.

3100 BC: worker 2 begins roading 2nd BG.

IBT: Trondheim curragh=>settler.

3050 BC: Erik pops goody hut, gets barbs:( Leif SE. Longboat 1 goes west.

IBT: Erik survives barb attack without damage.

3000 BC: Erik and Leif both S. Finish road on BG with worker 2, begin mining with worker 1.

IBT:
Non-Combat:
Settlers 0
Native Workers 2
Military:
Warriors 3
Curragh 1

Hand off notes: I recommend Erik continue South, longboat 1 explore the West coast, and turn Leif West and Southwest to explore the Interior. We should get a settler in 5 turns, I’d say plant him 1 Southwest on the hill, which will still be on fresh water and get max benefit of the river and wines, and only 3 tundra tiles.

Here is the big picture of my explorations:

Here is a proposed dotmap, In no way is this the final say, just my idea of some possible town sites. The tundra towns will obviously be ages away:

Hmm...I don't know. The game tundra town to the West of Trondheim should be built relatively quickly, I think...to make use of our seafaring trait (extra gold in city center.)

Other than that...where's the roster?? ;)

I guess I have not figured out who goes next. If anyone wants to go next and is available tonight or tomorrow to play, holler now;) Or, I could just go with the order that is in post #1. Here that is

Roster:

1: TheOverseer714=> just played
2: Anaxagoras=> up
3: WanderingNoob=> on deck
4: ThinkTank=> warming up
5: TadEmpire=> waiting
6: Sercer=> waiting longer
7: Pol1=> waiting longest

I think that first the dot map right now is pretty good.. but we should send a warrior to find Korea as they might be close & grap some much needed resourses. :eek:

lurker's comment:

IMO, your dotmap is too widely spaced. In a zero Science game the key is to maximize your economy, and anything wider than CxxC will leave tiles unworked until you can get hospitals; that equates to a lot of gold over the course of the game. If possible, you should be looking to work every tile available to you.

Also, you should try to keep unit support as close to zero as you can get it; since Republic is a no-brainer, this too requires that you optimize your city placements for maximum returns.

It's crucial that you remember that this is not a normal game, and it requires a different approach - think 'gold' with every decision that you make.

One strategic decision that you may want to make is an early Palace jump - Trondheim is badly placed for generating a powerful core.

Good starting set Overseer. Seems we had a fair bit of luck with popping huts!

Expansion reveals tundra:(

Two have forests on it. 20 free shields! And forest again after engeneering.

IMO, your dotmap is too widely spaced. In a zero Science game the key is to maximize your economy, and anything wider than CxxC will leave tiles unworked until you can get hospitals; that equates to a lot of gold over the course of the game. If possible, you should be looking to work every tile available to you.

I agree with this. Unfortunately there are a lot of mountains around - not good for commerce. :(

One strategic decision that you may want to make is an early Palace jump - Trondheim is badly placed for generating a powerful core.

I agree and this means that we are back to a problem/discussion we had in our previous game: we have a badly situated capitol. One of the things I feel we did wrong in SGFN03 is postpone the discussion about the palace jump, but not building infra in the capitol, and then in the end decided not to do the palace jump. We are in a similar situation again - but now, let's finish the plan for the palace jump before playing.

I agree with Buce that in this game we need an early palace jump, but not too early. Right after the first main REX burst I would say, when we have 12-15 cities. Given that, I do want to use capitol as a settler pump and build a granary as soon as possible. Even if the granary will disappear in the palace jump, I think an investment of 60 shields for producing 10 settlers or more at double speed is more than worth while. I think the granary should be the next build after the settler finishes. I can be supported by one or two chops.

lurker's comment:

As far as a Palace jump is concerned, that would be my suggestion of how to use any MGL that may be generated in an AA war, something that you may find necessary; because it takes time to develop a powerful economy, poking with the pointy stick is probably the most effective way of keeping up with AA techs - the AI can be quite generous when paying for peace in the AA, less so in the MA's and beyond, and you don't need to cripple them for the rest of the game either, so they can still contribute to the tech pace.

I certainly agree with ThinkTank that you should decide on where you will want your capital now, and dotmap accordingly.

I was hoping to fit the game in tonight, so hopefully we won't spend too much time on the palace jump question. My wife calls succession gaming my "homework" and she finds it vaguely annoying, so it is better to get it in on the weekends when I can.

My comments so far: First, I don't think the dot map is too far off, since we're constrained by mountains and tundra on our north and east. My inclination is to settle our second city on the southernmost wine across the river. That town will benefit from multiple forest chops and has the potential to become one of our most productive cities, with access to the hill for shields. I think I would also settle the grass inside the mountain ring, but only later. It is CxC with the wine city, but with so little food available, that settlement will probably stay a town, anyway. You can also see that the only way to claim the furs without risking the volcano is to settle the hill SW of the fox. The would push the lime dot one south, but everything else could stay where it is. Lime dot would be a prime candidate for the palace, depending on what else we find.

I agree that we should make the jump earlier rather than later. If we're fortunate enough to get a MGL, this would be a good use for one, but we should be ready to jump even before conflict. Early contact would indicate that the neighbors are close, but there's a lot of good land available. I don't necessarily think we should wait for the end of the REX to make the move. Depending on how things go, maybe after 6 or 7 cities, rather than 12.

I would like to build a clockwise curragh next in Trondheim, and as a result I am inclined to make a granary the first build in city number two, aided by a chop or two (which will also help us connect to yellow dot). Remember, one of the keys to our strategy is locating the other continent as soon as we can, so we can be trade broker. In order to do that, we need to explore the water as soon as possible.

Overseer, did you post the actual save?

Hmm, maybe you're right about the granary being in Trondheim, although I'd still like to get a curragh out there as soon as we can thereafter. City two will require a lot of tile improvements before we get to +4sfpt, so a granary may not be best there.

Order of settlement would be wines, yellow dot, purple dot. That gives us a solid, if temporary core.

I don't necessarily think we should wait for the end of the REX to make the move. Depending on how things go, maybe after 6 or 7 cities, rather than 12.

I would not like to compromise REX. Jumping palace with 7 cities will maybe change our income with 2 or 3 gpt. Not interesting enough to shut down a settler pump.

Hmm, maybe you're right about the granary being in Trondheim, although I'd still like to get a curragh out there as soon as we can thereafter. City two will require a lot of tile improvements before we get to +4sfpt, so a granary may not be best there.

Order of settlement would be wines, yellow dot, purple dot. That gives us a solid, if temporary core.

Ok. Build order is good I think and I agree to moving blue dot. How about moving yellow dot 1 NE? CxxC and it will immediately grab the cow? BTW, from what we know of the map now yellow dot is likely the new capitol site.

How about moving yellow dot 1 NE? CxxC and it will immediately grab the cow? BTW, from what we know of the map now yellow dot is likely the new capitol site.

If we move yellow dot, we no longer get fresh water. It makes the site less attractive as the capital. I am also concerned that it might be relatively close to our rivals. That's why I figured lime was better. I don't know if it is truly necessary to decide that right now.

If we move yellow dot, we no longer get fresh water. It makes the site less attractive as the capital. I am also concerned that it might be relatively close to our rivals. That's why I figured lime was better. I don't know if it is truly necessary to decide that right now.

If it looses a food we should not move it I guess.

Top Bottom