SGOTM 12 - klarius

OK, back and can probably play tomorrow night if there is nothing we need to discuss i detail prior to my turn set. Have yet to look at the save so no turn plans yet. Will post those prior to playing though so do not worry.

EDIT: Looks pretty straightforward I guess. Eliminate Spain, Land in Arabia and make progress. Continue on the tech tree... Will try to finish my turns tonight.

:bump:
How is it going, Wotan.

One thing, I think we should do now on top of military action, is to build workers everywhere (yes even in cities that have workers merged shortly ago :crazyeye:) and irrigate every city except Paris. We don't need higher research now, but would like as many scientists as possible after RP. So then is the time when all workers should be merged.

Sorry, been too busy the last few days to actually be able to play a set of turns. Will take the day off tomorrow and play though so waiting is almost over. Sorry about the slow progress but should post withing 24 hrs.

Finally came around to play my turns, sorry guys for the delay but thankfully we are still ahead of most teams.
China, Arabia and Spain are gone. Celts have lost their capital.

Turn log

0 – 1050AD Preflight
Move Assault teams towards Arabia. Two armies land on coastal forest north of Mecca. Loads of Pike/MI combos show up all over Arabia. I count to 8 teams of Pike/MI and an Ansar. Return Cav and a Rifleman to Constantinople island, the Roman fleet worries me.

IBT: Greece and Korea sign a peace treaty. Rome land 3 MI and a Cav next to Constantinople.

1 - 1060AD
Kill the landing party but lose 1 cav in the process
Barcelona falls! Clean up a few Spanish intruders near Seoul.
12 Cavs land next to China.
Disperse a Barb.camp near Seoul.

IBT: England and Korea sign a peace treaty. Greece and Celts sign a peace treaty.

2 – 1070AD
War with Arabia, Enter their lands and kill a few units. Cut horses.

3 – 1080AD
At the gates of Mecca.
Spanish opposition at a low, Madrid should fall next turn. Another Roman Fleet in the Bay of Constantinople. Huge stack of Ottoman Pikes enter our lands near Cuzco?

IBT: Roman stack land next to Constantinople, 3 Muskets and a Cavalry. Spain asks for peace, nope! Spanish Pike/MI land next to Ta-Tu.

4 – 1090AD
Madrid captured, Spain is no more…
Capture Mecca, amazingly only two Muskets inside????
Roman intruders killed.

IBT: Another 4 Romans land. Korea and China sign a peace treaty.

5 – 1100AD
Combustion researched start on Flight, AI’s last chance of helping us…
Kill one Musket next to Constantinople but lose two Cavalry attacking another. Dare not continue since it would risk us having too few defenders should the Romans be lucky. Will reinforce with 4 Cavalry from “mainland”.
Medina captured, Arabia is gone. They were easier than the amount of units in the field suggested. Must have lost 12+ Pikes/MI when Medina fell. I just ignored their field forces.

IBT: Otto and Rome sign a trade agreement vs. us. Korea and Russia sign a peace agreement.

6 – 1110AD
Move into position to attack China.

IBT: Korea and Persia sign a peace treaty. Roman Musket/Knight land next to Teonochtitlan.

7 – 1120AD

Kill the two Romans. War with China. Kill a Rider.

8 – 1130AD
Shanghai falls, 2 muskets and a Rider defending.

IBT: Celts and Sumeria sign a peace treaty.

9 – 1140AD
Beijing falls. There is something utterly wrong with Civ3 with the way AI treat Armies and stacks of units. This time roughly 20 Chinese units die when Beijing falls.
Entremont falls.

10 – 710AD
Have just put a lot of units to sleep. Some healing needed on the southern front as well as in Entremont.

After action report.
No RP so far, it sure looks like we will have to research it ourselves. Flight in 3 turns.

Lots of pollution Workers working overtime trying to clear it. So irrigation is a pipedream ATM. ;)

Fine progress. :goodjob: Now we should have plenty of time to finish off the Celts, Romans, and English, leaving the Zulus alive as a non-sci civ against whom we can ally all the sci civs just before the UN vote.

The situation at Entremont looks delicate, though we have the option of ship-chaining a full-strength cav army in immediately. How bad is the flip risk there? I don't have a utility for this.

Team Zoe's 1300 AD save appears to be their last. It looks as though we'll finish between 1310 and 1330 AD, so it'll be close.

Required garrison in Entremont is 3-8 we currently have 14 so it is safe. There are probably only 2-3 units in their second city. Clearing any adjacent units, send a couple of armies and a couple of cavs in a turn or two onto a mountain ignoring any nonadjacent (entremont) celts should sort the situation in 2-3 turns time tops.

Is the showing save still the next to last save? It used to be so in the past as far as I remember? If so it sure will be close...

Well, we cannot do any more wild warmongering and deal breaking.
Remind you, we have to win by diplomacy.
There are already 7 civs which are furious (including Babylon, Persia, Greece, Ottomans and Korea) with us and we will not get them up to polite to vote for us, easily. An easy alliance and MPP might not be enough, we need probably also to hurt our mutual enemy.
We need the votes of English and Zulus to have a chance at all.
Our palace is at 900 sh currently, so more cities are not absolutely necessary (Paris well over 100spt can be timed to be just below 900 the turn before MA).

I'm now not quite sure we should at all try to go for UN IBT. Maybe better waste a turn so one has a turn for diplomacy and war actions after the tech trading (like killing people we cannot get to vote for us).

So the strategy should indeed be to kill Celts and Romans (that will be a tough one already).
But no more war declarations, short term. At least not on our only few possible friends. If we one of the people furious with us declares, then we can think of further warring.

And still, build workers and irrigate and later merge, even if it wastes a lot shields.
No barracks, no unis, no courthouses. That's all too late.

Well, who is available for play :confused:. Ronald and Mighty Dwaarf haven't played in a long time. Any of you available?

Guys

I am here and have time to play, but whilst it seems that it is close and we still have a chance to win I will step aside and let you 4 experienced guys bring it home.

I would like to thank you all for accepting me into your team. The knowledge and tactics I have gained have helped me develop my game immensly, in the last two COTM's I have been able to submit game scores of 5k+ and 10k+ which is an huge improvement on prior efforts. :goodjob:

If at all possible I would like to be part of your team in the next installment, as there are still areas of my game that could do with help that haven't been relevant to this SGOTM, i.e early settler strategy etc.

Once again thank you and good luck. :cool:

MD

Thanks for your participation, then, MD. :goodjob:

Either Ronald's up or I am, evidently. Since I can't play right now anyway, I'll give Ronald a couple of days to speak up, then play if we haven't heard from him.

OK, no word from Ronald, so I've got it.

I'll try to finish off the Celts and Romans while leaving everyone else alone, and attempt the workers/irrigation/scientists scheme. I'll also start building the extra armies to which we're now entitled, since it will be foolish not to have them if we need some one-turn conquests at the end. Anything else?

Pre-builds for commercial docks in low corruption cities with several coastal tiles would be nice. It's no big problem for high shield cities, but lower shield towns should not have an empty shield box.
I still think RP will come in 1220 form the AI. Otherwise we could have it in 1240 by self research. Mass production can then be 6 or maybe 5 turns.
One more thing:
No worker merges in Paris. We need some food flexibility to steer production. It doesn't matter where scientists are they don't profit from multiplier buildings, so workers can be merged everywhere else where there is food.
And we also need at least one full team (6 workers) there to the end of the game.
If we see a chance for MP in 5. The pre-build in Paris should start with MP. Otherwise 1 or 2 turns later.

Hi Guys,

Finally I'm back but only for a few days. I could play after NP on Sunday. After that I'm gone for another week in Brazil.

Ronald

1150 (0): Outside Mecca we disperse a barb camp held by two warriors (2-0).

We switch seventeen towns to worker builds.

The Celts don't attack Entremont.

1160 (1): We cut down a Roman cav landed next to our capital (3-0).

We sink a Roman frigate with a cruiser (4-0).

We approach Alesia by land and sea, fortunately finding a gap in the traffic jam.

1170 (2): Some leader-fishing before we finish off the Celts accounts for a pikeman and an MDI, but we don’t get a leader (6-0).

We storm Alesia, held by four pikemen and a knight, and eliminate the "Fragile Celts" (11-0). Twenty-five Celtic units come off the map around Entremont.

We sink another Roman frigate (12-0).

Our sole surviving privateer repels the attack of a Babylonian frigate (13-0).

The Greeks and the Zulus form an MPP.

Flight --> RP, due in six turns (though this takes some MM, after Flight kills the Colossus).

1180 (3): Off Constantinople we sink a Roman flotilla of two frigates and a galleon, plus whatever the galleon was carrying (16-0).

We disperse another barb camp outside Mecca, held by one warrior (17-0).

The Ottomans and the Sumerians sign an MPP.

Paris builds the Pentagon.

1190 (4): We land three cav armies next to Rome and two next to Veii, with supporting units. This is a real Klarius operation—no bombardment units at all. :lol:

Since we need to renew our dyes deal with the Sumerians, we send 150 gpt to Sumer for an anti-Roman alliance, then Electronics to Sumer for 147 gpt and dyes.

While we’re at it, we make anti-Roman alliances with the Greeks, Ottomans, and Persians as well, each for about 150 gpt, and get the money back for Atomic Theory.

1200 (5): It turns out we’re breaking a nut with a sledgehammer on the Roman island. We take Veii, held by two musketmen and a cav, and Rome, held by three musketmen, and eliminate the “Strong Romans” (23-0).

1210 (6): Worker actions and redeployment.

1220 (7): The Koreans, Babylonians, and Greeks have Replaceable Parts. We get it from Wang Kon, along with a worker, for SciMeth.

By merging forty-one workers, we get our time for Mass Production down to five turns.

We start the palace pre-build for the UN in Paris. Even with MP due in five this is probably early (palace due in eight turns), but better safe than sorry. We can always use Battlefield Medicine to cut Paris down to an even 500 shields, or UniSuff to trim it back to 800.

1230 (8): Well, I've accomplished what I had in mind for this round, so I'll stop here rather than playing another two turns on autopilot. In any case we should probably discuss the timing of the UN vote, and possible further attacks, before we make any more moves.

Three elite victories this round didn't generate a Great Leader.

We're on pace to enter the MA in 1285 AD, IIRC that MoTrans costs the same number of beakers as MassProd. Winning the UN vote when seven civs are furious with us and three angry may be another matter, of course. Will MPP agreements add anything to the benefits from alliances, cash gifts, and RoP deals?

If we decide we need to eliminate some civs between our learning Fission and the UN vote, the Persians, Ottomans, and Koreans are the obvious choices. We have transports moving SW to extend our ship chain to the two Ottoman cities. Note that it may be necessary to approach Pyongyang via a ship chain (which is in place) to Madrid, since the isthmus joining the two halves of that island is blocked by Greek and Persian units which show no sign of moving. We have abundant time to set up any attacks we want to make; we just mustn't leave it to the last minute.

The Sumerians are attacking Korea's only city, which isn't ideal. I've been blocking the Sumerians a little with our units after making a RoP deal with Wang Kon, and the Koreans seem to be hanging on.

All the banks we have under construction are commercial dock pre-builds, and so is Osaka's factory. We need to be particularly mindful of Tenochtitlan's pre-build, since we have no leeway on the timing there.

We're producing barely enough beakers to discover MassProd in five (now four) turns, with no margin for error. Anything can throw the count off--even the loss of Love status in one corrupt city--so we need to watch this situation constantly, remembering that we're supposed to get MassProd in 1260 AD.

To repeat, we've probably started the UN pre-build in Paris a bit early, so that will require careful attention too.

We're a little short of workers to deal with pollution on our two home islands, but others can ship-chain in when needed. We have two full work teams on Paris's island, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We have an empty army in Teotihuacan.

I've left a lot of ships unfortified to call attention to them. Most don't have their full movement.

The dominoes fall:

SGOTM12-Klarius-1170AD.JPG

SGOTM12-Klarius-1200AD.JPG

Looking at the file I saw, that we will finish in the next turnset. In good tradition of team klarius, I would suggest that he finishes our game.
Klarius, if you don't want to finish let me know, I could play tomorrow.

Well, I think I'll try to finish it :).
Let's see if using every diplomatic trick will still do it.
Otherwise it may take still a long time (if we have to kill every furious civ after building UN).
But I think I need a common enemy early, to be able to hurt him (it gives also a few points, if you kill units of a common enemy). I will have to look what I can do, maybe Babylon now, so they hopefully talk at the beginning of MA.

OK, it's done.

Turn log:
Turn 0 1230:
First looking around for builds. Well a lot too early prebuilds.
Paris will need to be slowed down, but I need irrigation for that and then mining again later.
Commercial dock is 80sh for seafaring, so the bank prebuilds are pretty far for that.
I cut a few more beakers for unneeded shields to be on the safe side.
I get some troops underway, so I can afford some military action.

Turn 1 1240:
MM a bit. Then a little trading.

Turn 2 1250:
Ok now the diplomatic move. I make MPP with everybody besides Babylon and Korea. Also a few gifts ;). All these people are polite now. But as MPP is dangerous I also declare on Babylon so all the MPPs will get triggered.
Take a deep breath.

IBT:
Babylon enters our land near Hattusas (with a single cav) and everybody declares on Babylon. There is also an incursion near Beijing.

Turn 3 1255:
I capture Utica w/o losses. After a pop-rush it only has Carthagian pop, so shouldn't be a big flip risk. Palace at 1000sh.
I also take Pasargadae from Babylon. Contemplate to give it back to Persia, but rather build a library there and kill the Babs around.
A lot of pollution around and not enough workers to clear.

IBT:
Switch several cities to commercial docks.
Just in Contantinople it doesn't complete because of pollution.

Turn 4 1260:
While killing Babylonian stacks near Pasargadae, get a leader. Hops on a boat and build Hospital in Teotihuacan, which is just ready to grow to 13.
Kill rest of visible Babs.
MM for MT in 4 turns, but that will mean nearly every city at the brink of starvation.

Turn 5 1265:
Nothing much to kill.
MM can be a bit relaxed and still MT in 3.
But Paris has know problems with the prebuild in time.
Apply engineers instead of scientists.

IBT:
The Koreans got destroyed by Sumeria.

Turn 6 1270:
Just one cav to kill.
MM a little. Everything easy now.

Turn 7 1275:
One Guerilla is all what's coming up.

IBT:
The second civ I gift up gets fission.
Buy it for 23000g+900gpt+peace renegotiation.
Switch over prebuild.
Diplomatic victory in 1280.

Top Bottom