SGOTM 16 - Misfit Gypsy Nuts

If we can get the best discount on the first spy steal for IW, we might find we have enough to also steal Monotheism or another cheap tech. Or if we don't, then the second spy could just make itself useful and steal some gold or run a counter-espionage mission.

Regarding the MM - we could purposely remove scientists in Paris in favour of an engineer to increase our changes of a GE and consequently use it to bulb Machinery?

I would be happy to step up as team leader if Griff doesn't come back. Or even if he does come back, and just wants to take more of a back seat?

@Sleepless - fancy putting together a short PPP for the next 2 or 3 turns? Just outline in general terms what the cities will be doing, and confirm which tech we will be researching.

Well if we have enough ep to steal at 40% odds that would be 2 turns from now so a very quick PPP for 2 turns would go like this.

Tech - Construction @ 0%

City builds - research/gran/lib or forges

Citizen allocations. Prioritise fp cottages/growth in cities. Keep GE/GSs in Paris. GSs in Orleans

Steal IW ;)

Unlikely Monarchy would come up for trade but if it did would it be worth giving MC. Alpha would probably have to put at least one turn into it.

Heehee cross post with AJ. Yep we could remove GS's from Paris but it does increase the chances of another prophet if we do.

Must admit I would like to play tonight but will wait to hear from others before starting so prob play in 24 hours if thats ok and Ozbenno can take over from there.

PPP ok by me. I'm not keen on using GE's to bulb, as GS's have the potential for 1.5x beakers. That said, I'm sure we could find a decent usage for a GE.

Must admit I would like to play tonight but will wait to hear from others before starting so prob play in 24 hours if thats ok and Ozbenno can take over from there.
I think the PPP is great too. How much consensus do we need for a 2-3 turn turnset?
PPP ok by me. I'm not keen on using GE's to bulb, as GS's have the potential for 1.5x beakers. That said, I'm sure we could find a decent usage for a GE.
Point taken on the GE vs GS. However, the raw :science: output of a GE might be less, but the tech, Machinery, is more useful in the short term if we have iron.
If we have no strong preference either way, then might as well assign all engineers + scientists as was the initial plan.

Well 3 of the team (including me ;)) are ok for me to play so will look to do just 2 - 3 turns till we have enough ep to steal IW.

Well played a couple of turns. We lost our trade routes for the ep discount with Brennus and I didn't want to close borders with Ram so put us on 100% ep for 1 turn otherwise we wouldn't have got enogh ep points for some time.

Spoiler :

So how did it go????

Spoiler :

Not good at all!!!!! So I lost out on the GE and the IW steal @82%. I did mention I was off to Las Vegas next week. Don't think I'll bother gambling there ;)

Demographics aren't all bad.

Spoiler :

Turn Log

Spoiler :

Here is your Session Turn Log from 25 BC to 25 AD:

Turn 114, 25 BC: Rheims has grown to size 4.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Rheims can hurry Lighthouse for 2⇴ with 33ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Tours has grown to size 4.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Ramesses II is the worst enemy of Brennus.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Brennus is the worst enemy of Ramesses II.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Brennus will trade Archery, Iron Working, Monotheism
Turn 114, 25 BC: Brennus will trade Corn, Iron, Pig
Turn 114, 25 BC: Brennus has founded Durnovaria in a distant land.
Turn 114, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior (2.00) vs Louis XIV's Chariot 4 (Paris) (4.00)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Combat Odds: 0.9%
Turn 114, 25 BC: Louis XIV's Chariot 4 (Paris) is hit for 14 (86/100HP)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 28 (72/100HP)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 28 (44/100HP)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 28 (16/100HP)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 28 (0/100HP)
Turn 114, 25 BC: Louis XIV's Chariot 4 (Paris) has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 114, 25 BC: While defending, your Chariot 4 (Paris) has killed a Barbarian Warrior!
Turn 114, 25 BC: A Jungle has grown near Marseilles!

Turn 115, 1 AD: Tours can hurry Granary for 1⇴ with 15ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 115, 1 AD: Rheims will grow to size 5 on the next turn.
Turn 115, 1 AD: Marseilles will grow to size 2 on the next turn.
Turn 115, 1 AD: Buddhism has spread in Marseilles.
Turn 115, 1 AD: Brennus has founded Isca.

Turn 116, 25 AD: Rheims has grown to size 5.
Turn 116, 25 AD: Marseilles has grown to size 2.
Turn 116, 25 AD: The borders of Tours are about to expand.
Turn 116, 25 AD: Lyons will grow to size 5 on the next turn.
Turn 116, 25 AD: A French Spy 2 (Lyons) has been stumbled upon while operating near the Celtic city of Tolosa!

Buff Log

Spoiler :

Logging by BUFFY 3.19.003 (BtS 3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 114/500 (25 BC) [29-Oct-2012 12:05:14]
Research begun: Construction (13 Turns)
Research begun: Currency (7 Turns)

Logging by BUFFY 3.19.003 (BtS 3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 114/500 (25 BC) [29-Oct-2012 21:55:53]
Research begun: Construction (12 Turns)
0% Research: 41 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
100% Gold: 7 per turn, 63 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild near Elephantine, Chariot 4 (Paris) (3.44/4) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.1%)

Turn 115/500 (0 AD) [29-Oct-2012 22:01:27]
A Cottage was built near Tours
Research begun: Monotheism (4 Turns)
Research begun: Monotheism (4 Turns)
Research begun: Construction (10 Turns)
0% Research: 41 per turn
100% Espionage: 53 per turn
0% Gold: -42 per turn, 70 in the bank

After End Turn:
Research begun: Archery (2 Turns)
Rheims grows to size 5
Marseilles grows to size 2

Other Player Actions:
Buddhism has spread: Marseilles

Turn 116/500 (25 AD) [29-Oct-2012 22:13:28]
Research begun: Construction (9 Turns)

Just realised I made another muck up... :( I was trying to work out how many EP's we needed to steal IW so changed the next tech to mono then archery and even though archery wasn't selected (topt of the screen showed all options we could tech) all the beakers for the turn went in there... Bad way of learning something new...:blush:

So the new spy is in Cuman but it will take 5 turns to get the full discount on stealing IW... I've left most of the cities on research but probably worth 2 pop whipping in temples in a few cities now for the +1 happy. I don't want to sound pessimistic but also an idea to get another spy out.

At least we can see Brennu's research now. 16 turns to calendar. Don't think he will be making it to feudalism to soon unless. No alpha/Col or currency will slow him down.

Just had a thought though must admit its to late for this game but possible future games with restrictions. There was nothing to stop us actually settling a city on the gems themselves to get the happy prior to getting the tech i.e IW in this case... Wish I'd thought of that along time ago.

Bugger...

Brennus has 9 cities! What a monster. He needs cutting down to size.

Stealing IW is still our top priority. Next PPP should again be only for 3 or 4 turns up until the next steal attempt.

Just had a thought though must admit its to late for this game but possible future games with restrictions. There was nothing to stop us actually settling a city on the gems themselves to get the happy prior to getting the tech i.e IW in this case... Wish I'd thought of that along time ago.

True but gems are such a powerful tile (in terms of the commerce) it would be a waste, especially in such a long game.

Brennus is indeed strong!

Another 5 turns to try and steal IW again @ 40% discount.

Some body want to do it?

Bummer. l
Can we get another scout in Brennus lands to pinpoint the new cities and get a better gauge on his strength? Note that Warrior 3's spawnbust location is redunand after a border pop next turn; suggest moving Warrior 3 to where Chariot 4 is and Chariot 4 becomes the scout.

Being a pessimist, should we start another spy in case our next one fails too? (runs and knocks on wood)

As far as plans - looks like our research is still going to be hammer-sacrificing (IE building research, or working scientists instead of mines). So I guess it makes sense to keep all research until Construction, then switch all those scientists and builds to units, along with chop/whip frenzy?

Brennus has a lot of cities but atm all his troops must be spread out as we have about half his strength and lets face it we are definitley not strong. :) Saying that 2 things I think would be a good idea are:

1. try and beg mono from Brennus. With shared religion and fav civic if he's running it he should get to friendly and we can trade for calendar when he gets it.

2. If we can beat Brennus to it settle a city for the gems/2 sugar on the plains hill or have a settler ready to go. Paris would be the obvious place once its GP is born.

3. Great Person from Paris... We can expect a GP in 3 turns..

Great Scientist I'd be tempted to settle somewhere. No point in an academy atm.

GE bulb machinery. (And as long as we have Iron would be able to build XBows with archery ;))

GP if Christianity hasn't gone would be worth getting mono bulbing theo and building the shrine???

Can we get another scout in Brennus lands to pinpoint the new cities and get a better gauge on his strength? Note that Warrior 3's spawnbust location is redunand after a border pop next turn; suggest moving Warrior 3 to where Chariot 4 is and Chariot 4 becomes the scout.
Good spotting :)

Being a pessimist, should we start another spy in case our next one fails too? (runs and knocks on wood)
Yes, I think that would be wise.

As far as plans - looks like our research is still going to be hammer-sacrificing (IE building research, or working scientists instead of mines). So I guess it makes sense to keep all research until Construction, then switch all those scientists and builds to units, along with chop/whip frenzy?
Yep, that looks like the plan.

Brennus has a lot of cities but atm all his troops must be spread out as we have about half his strength and lets face it we are definitley not strong. :) Saying that 2 (Only 2?) things I think would be a good idea are:

1. try and beg mono from Brennus. With shared religion and fav civic if he's running it he should get to friendly and we can trade for calendar when he gets it.
Worth a shot. Failing that, we could consider stealing it with only a little more :espionage: investment... assuming our spies aren't complete amateurs.

2. If we can beat Brennus to it settle a city for the gems/2 sugar on the plains hill or have a settler ready to go. Paris would be the obvious place once its GP is born.
I certainly wouldn't say no to an extra city.
3. Great Person from Paris... We can expect a GP in 3 turns..

Great Scientist I'd be tempted to settle somewhere. No point in an academy atm.

GE bulb machinery. (And as long as we have Iron would be able to build XBows with archery ;))

GP if Christianity hasn't gone would be worth getting mono bulbing theo and building the shrine???
I quite like the idea of bulbing Christianity and building the Christian Shrine. GS could fit the same pattern by bulbing Philo. If a GE, we could use it to rush build the AP...

So yeah, pretty much agreeing with everything here :cool:

1. trading for calendar would be great. Is anyone a wizard with the diplo modifiers? I'm worried Friendly might not happen before we are ready for war, in which case the city in 2) is kind of a drag (although 1 gems is probably enough to zero out its maintenance.

I hadn't considered that possibility. Was expecting to extort Calendar in a peace treaty down the line maybe, that can be a backup...

Both brennus and Ram have the same fav civic - OR. Brennus is currently running it. We could trade hime some of our resources as well. Though we won't get any benefit does help bump up the diplo modifier.

So whoever plays the next small turnset try and beg mono of Brennus. Don't lose anything by trying and trade a couple of resources for his pig. Can always cancel in 10 turns and the health won't do him much good at the moment.

I can play a few turns if no one else wants to.

Oz is up.
Will still be a couple of days until I can give this some thought in terms of a PPP for the next few turns.
(posted a couple of days ago)

But...
I can play a few turns if no one else wants to.
I'd be happy for Ron to play a short few turns up until the next spy steal attempt. Though it would be disappointing for Oz to miss playing the turns if he has already put some effort into a PPP.

I think hold off for now Ron. Perhaps you could cobble together a quick 4 turn PPP similar to the one Sleepless wrote for the last 3 turns?

Top Bottom