[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

What is the purpose of building a partial warrior for 1 turn in Cow? Why not just start the wb right away?

Why wouldn't Science just start on the Rax instead of a warrior first?

I assume all of this is to get Mysticism on T22, yes?

What is the purpose of building a partial warrior for 1 turn in Cow? Why not just start the wb right away?

Why wouldn't Science just start on the Rax instead of a warrior first?

I assume all of this is to get Mysticism on T22, yes?
Yes, all for t22 Myst.

Cow war 3h wasted. Work coast to put max OF into t26 monument. Trade-off is 1t sooner border expansion for 5h into wb2, which also OFs into galley iirc.

Could be 3h into rax.....

Then lets put those 3H into a RAX. We may not finish it but at least the hammers won't decay for a bit longer. Would it make sense to work the coastal tile for 1F2C instead of the cow for 2F1H (since the hammer is wasted anyway its 1F vs 2C)? Or does that extra food help us in the future somehow?

Are there any decisions that have to be made between now and Mysticism? You had several options when you did your testing but maybe those all occur post-Mysticism. If not, I'll run through the MM, update the PPP and play once I have a green light.

I think there’s a stupidity in my MM. It should be two turns at the beginning working the wines instead of three. Let me check.

Then lets put those 3H into a RAX. We may not finish it but at least the hammers won't decay for a bit longer. Would it make sense to work the coastal tile for 1F2C instead of the cow for 2F1H (since the hammer is wasted anyway its 1F vs 2C)? Or does that extra food help us in the future somehow?

Are there any decisions that have to be made between now and Mysticism? You had several options when you did your testing but maybe those all occur post-Mysticism. If not, I'll run through the MM, update the PPP and play once I have a green light.
Think it was for the +f.

Another thought. If we don’t care about the barracks in Science, I think we could build two warriors and not pay unit costs for a while. Eventually if we have to we could kill one off. Meanwhile he could Garrison canal, making it safer from a DOW by SB if I’m not mistaken.

@Mitchum: Yikes, multiple errors in my MM. I’ll correct it immediately. Slightly better now. Ed: MM Updated.

Now I’ll have to run my other tests and see if that changes anything. A slight improvement, never know.

Last edited:
I worked through the original MM and it finished the wb a turn early. I was about to post the details and I see that you modified the MM. Let me run through it again...

EDIT: xpost with LC

Another thought. If we don’t care about the barracks in Science, I think we could build two warriors and not pay unit costs for a while. Eventually if we have to we could kill one off. Meanwhile he could Garrison canal, making it safer from a DOW by SB if I’m not mistaken.

In the current MM, the rax finishes on the turn we learn Mysticism so we'd have max OF into SH. I'm reluctant to build two warriors instead of the RAX (which we'll likely need anyway) and I'm afraid of paying unit costs unnecessary but maybe our city growth prevents that.

I'll go with the team decision but my slight preference is to build the RAX instead of 2 warriors. We will need the warrior MPs at some point though for happiness so I'm fine either way.

OK, I just played through LC's MM. Here is a save on the turn we learn Mysticism if anyone wants to see the state of the empire.

Two questions:

We have a few options for builds in Science:
1. warrior -> partial warrior (14/15) -> SH
2. warrior -> warrior -> SH (starts one turn later)
3. warrior -> partial RAX (28/50) -> SH
4. RAX -> SH

I'm assuming that the plan is to send two settlers on the initial galley. Which ones do we want to send?
A. Settler 5 (the one watching south) - I think this is a no brainer
B. Settler 3 (the one in the north watching for AI wbs up that way - I assume that we can position Settler 4 further west to watch W, W-NW and W-SW
C. Settler 7 (the one watching SB's capital)

I would opt for A and B. I need to be sure to send the correct settlers toward Cows in time to board the galley which likely won't be needed until after this mini-turnset through Mysticism.

Attachments

• T22 - LC MM - Mysticism just learned.CivBeyondSwordSave
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
2nd warrior incurs unit cost on wb2. Forget him, even though only for 3-4t. I’d still go with one warrior for Canal but only rax is fine with me too, to avoid unforeseen unit cost.

T32 Sailing looks better than T31. Both get galley T39 but T32 Cows better developed.

I’ve been building a wb in Canal and mostly max coins. That’s a decision we can delay to T22 or later.

T32 Sailing looks better than T31. Both get galley T39 but T32 Cows better developed.

I’ve been building a wb in Canal and mostly max coins. That’s a decision we can delay to T22 or later.

If both options get the galley on the same turn, which is really why we want Sailing, then I agree that a better developed Cows makes more sense.

Regarding Canal, at some point we do want to finish the wb to accelerate growth. If we can work a 1F1H tile and still get Sailing, I'd opt for that option.

If both options get the galley on the same turn, which is really why we want Sailing, then I agree that a better developed Cows makes more sense.

Regarding Canal, at some point we do want to finish the wb to accelerate growth. If we can work a 1F1H tile and still get Sailing, I'd opt for that option.
In both of mine the workboat is T 35. I haven’t looked at the monument today.

Why here? There is no way for an AI wb to get here without us seeing it either at Canal or with a settler in the NW and far W, is there?
In case a work butt comes from above the northern land and cuts across to the far west we could miss it for many many turns.

Updated PPP T13 to T22 (through Mysticism):

Research: Mysticism (4T at 0%, 4T at 100%, 1T at 50%)

Science:
Builds: warrior -> partial RAX -> SH (don't complete it)
Citizen MM: wine (2T), sheep (6T), at 2 pops (T21) work sheep and unimproved horse tile
Cows:
Builds: rax (1T) -> wb1 -> monument
Citizen MM: cow (1T), coast (2T), cow (6T)
Canal (settle T13):
Builds:
wb
Citizen MM: work 2F2C seafood tile

Shepherd: partial farm Science-NW (1T) -> sheep pasture (4T) -> partial farm Science-N (1T) -> horse pasture (4T)
Cowboy: pasture cow (4T) -> move (1T) -> camp tundra fur (5T)

Settler 4 (furthest NW): finish exploring peninsula (and beyond if possible)
Settler 3 (NW by double silver): NNE onto silver hill to defog ocean tiles then either
a) start walking toward 4F+silver site in case the peninsula isn't a peninsula or
b) start walking to Cows to save maintenance and prepare to board a galley or
c) hand out up north to watch for AI wbs
Settler 5 (south of Science): Stay put watching for AI wb
Settler 7 (near SB): move to Sci-4n2e per LC

Things to do each turn:
Use espionage to estimate hammers in SB's current build using SabotageProduction*((EspionageByAIOntoYou+100)/(3*InvestigateCity)
Check is SB is working plains river.
Monitor EPs with SB (should be 6:4 ratio)
Check max production.

Last edited:
Top Bottom