1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I agree that we should make a concerted effort to get the Mids. We'll have to know which city will be Engineer though.

I don't know if I've ever researched Alphabet and then built the Oracle but like you said, this is Ice Age and we do have 7 settlers.

Regarding the Oracle, I'm not sure when it goes on ice age on Emperor. Should we run some tests to check wonder dates for GW, Oracle, Mids, GLH, etc?

2. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I routinely did this on Deity. Trade for Priesthood (thx Mansa) and build oracle before the AI can.
    We will probably have to do PH ourselves, but that's cheap.

3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

T13 Canal Options

T22 Myst, T26 Cow Monument, no options

T31 Sailing! (e.g., T36 Mining w/Silver wkr but no wb), T35 Canal wb, T47 monument, T57 border expansion, Cows p2, Sci p3, ~T38 galleyu

T32 Sailing, T37 Canal monument, wb 11h, T39 galley

Another option to look at would be growing cows more while building only a work boat in Canal.

I haven’t tested settling Canal later. Settling canal now works just fine. Frees up the workbook to explore and I’d say we’re at an advantage.

4. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I'm having trouble understanding the options. How could Cows and Science be at 2 and 3 pops on Twhatever (hard to tell what you mean) I assume it means you worked the fur camp and wine farm non stop?

Saves to upload? You know you want a donut anyways. ;)

5. WastinTime

Agree. It doesn't appear anything critical is being delayed by settling now (unlike it was on T5) And we now know that the next best city (somewhere up near the silver & food) is not a better choice for #3. There was no magical, pre-improved area.

6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I’m using your original test. Kind of pointless to upload but I could tomorry if you insist. Pops are t31. Worked fur and wine like dogs.

Pretty cool, huh? We could settle Silver around T36 with a miner. Still not sure I’d want to. But that’s a long ways off with lots of exploration in between.

7. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I think the city MM almost plays itself until Mysticism, right? The question is whether to work 2F2C in Canal or 1F2H, yes? Also, do you work the unimproved horse or wine for 1 turn in Science when it first grows to 2; I was working the horse tile. Lastly, does Cowboy improve cow, fur then wine farm? Or something else?

I could play with it but no sense duplicating what toy did.

I do like to see saves to see the state of the empire but it's no biggie if no one else cares.

8. WastinTime

:hammer2:Am I the only one who was thinking we were required get wheel/pottery before Alpha? (as a prerequisite for Writing)
    Well, we don't.
    I guess normally I just want pottery/granary so bad, I haven't thought about going to Alpha thru AH...or :old:
    That's a nice savings : adding free wheel and pottery to mining, bw, iw, etc.
    I just wish we had good AI traders.

9. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Actually not. My T 13 and beyond MM is quite unexpected.

Your wish is my command.

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Vaguely remember AH-writing-alpha biology slingshot as the first powerful strategy, before sushi got discovered.

Sailing is almost a relief, giving us time to meet AIs before major tech path decisions. We may be “forced” to tech Mining and settle silver to delay the decision further. Highlights the t22 exploring wb.

Edit: Gets us OBs sooner, better TRs and explore SB’s land!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  11. WastinTime

Let's put this Eiffel tower discussion to bed.
    tl;dr We forget about it and then GreatLH is back on the table. We have sailing coming and we probably want masonry for mids.
    Post also contains: late game tech path

Eiffel: 1250:hammers: is a lot, but with iron, more like 625, so doable, but it's not like we can settle an 8th city in some forests.
    However, the sushi plan means we will want to bulb physics, electricity and a little radio if we accidentally get aritsts from our NationalEpic or Parthenon city.
    So bulbed techs come last.
    making our tech path (something close to...)
    biology, lib->medicine, corporation, (Miltary Trad*) communism, RepParts, steel (last big build), Refrig, Supercond, steam, AssLine, (Astro, Physics, Electr), Industrialism, Radio, MassMedia

* Mil Tradition: we may get this pre-sushi or even pre-biology to get conquer gold and kill em all.

LowtherCastle likes this.
  12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Meeting AIs

1. Watch SB’s ep ratio on us to see if some AI exists beyond him.
    2. Canal watches the ne for AI wbs.
    3. A settler at Sci-4n2e gets the n.
    4. S5 gets the s.
    5. W tbd.

13. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Unit Cost
    T13 Canal allows +1 unit (8 free) and gets us to p5 (9 free) sooner. Sci could build a garrison after all. Or a scout.

Unit Supply Cost
    4 settlers
    Occasional or Silver wkr
    T22 wb

14. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

OK, so what's the short-term plan? My impression is that we're leaning toward settling Canal now, correct?

Kait and LC ran some tests with some decisions to be made regarding a focus on commerce (to pull in Mysticism and Sailing) or hammers (to focus on developing our cities). I could run some testing today but it would likely duplicate what Kait and LC did.

What decisions do we have to make right now before we can play through Mysticism?

@WT I think the Great LH is a great wonder since we'd be getting its benefits for the majority of the game. Let's see if we can work it into our plans.

15. WastinTime

I've been thinking about early MilTrad (see above)
    That would be on the same Constitution beeline (where we don't have mids and race to Representation.) (both require nationalism)

Bulbing Nationalism
    ? with 1-2 merchants pairs well with early GLighthouse.
    But now I don't know if we can bulb that. Anyone know the trick? I think pre-BTS you could do it my avoiding Alpha. (and Theo)
    Maybe we can't bulb Nat any more.

Ugh. let's just build mids.

16. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I was wondering how many units we can have outside our borders without incurring any costs (i.e. unit supply cost, not unit cost). I was pulling units off sentry duty and into our borders during my testing to avoid the cost but it would be good to know exactly how many we can have outside our borders. Someone mentioned how the supply cost works but I can't remember now. Let me see if I can find it.

17. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I think you mean the GLH but this got me thinking about the Great Library. Is that the wonder we want in Science? Or something else?

Let's keep it on our radar in case we lose the race.

So we have quite a few early wonders in play/consideration: Oracle, Mids, GLH, GLib Looks like a lot of early builds. Should we prioritize these so that we can focus on getting the most important one(s).

18. WastinTime

TGL: (lighthouse/library) that is confusing. I edited.
    While all those early wonders we're debating corrupt our gene pool, I suppose we can use the extra GPP and do the best we can with the GP we get.

19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

T13-T22 MM for Myst w/Canal

T13
    Cow: build rax (1t), work cow (1t)
    Sci: work wine! (2t)
    Settle Canal: build wb, automate citizen
    Res: 0%

T14
    Cow: build wb, work 1f2c coastal (2t)

T15
    Sci: automate citizens