SGOTM 3 Starting Position Discussions

culdeus

Emperor
Moderator Action: I've moved these posts out of the Sign-up thread for those of you who want to have a public discussion about the starting position. - AlanH

culdeus said:
Screwed around with WB and made this test game. It's not totally right, but whatever.

Not sure if you can talk about the start like GOTM here or not?

ummm, that test game is in normal. Now I notice the game is set to epic.

oh well. I'll try another one

culdeus said:
This one is about as close as I'm willing to get in the timeframe.

If there is some glaring error please let me know.
Good job! The scout is in the forest, 1 S of his location in the real game, but that makes little difference I would think. I am curious how from that location the scout can't see the square 2E of the settler. Something you did in the world builder?

It looks like you can't run the save in the HOF mod (if there is a way, someone tell me). As I recall, the mod fixes some hammer overflow and other bug issues, so might that affect those who play a test to calculate time to production of this, that and the other?

dV

da_Vinci said:
Good job! The scout is in the forest, 1 S of his location in the real game, but that makes little difference I would think. I am curious how from that location the scout can't see the square 2E of the settler. Something you did in the world builder?

It looks like you can't run the save in the HOF mod (if there is a way, someone tell me). As I recall, the mod fixes some hammer overflow and other bug issues, so might that affect those who play a test to calculate time to production of this, that and the other?

dV

I really don't know what I'm doing. I guess you have to be running the HOF mod when starting up the game first (which I didn't). Yeah, I have the scout in the wrong place and still dorked with the fog in wb.

I do think that hemisphically (if that's a word) that the site is about 15 tiles too far north.

@culdeus: I am still trying to get the hang of the HOF mod myself. I think your save is still very useful, even without the HOF mod. So keep up the good work!

@ any: the screenie of the starting position has a funny-looking (to me anyway) terrain feature 1 NE of the scout. Only 1 food suggests jungle on grassland, but the picture just looks like scrub brush, rather than what I usually see for jungle. Are there any new terrain features in warlords and if so, is this one of them (don't have warlords yet)?

edit: re Niklas comment: Well, I considered this an issue of clarification of an item from post 1, not a strategy discussion, so I thought here [signup thread] was appropriate. Maybe not ...? [extra edit: this made sense when it was originally posted in the signup thread]

dV

da_Vinci said:
@ any: the screenie of the starting position has a funny-looking (to me anyway) terrain feature 1 NE of the scout. Only 1 food suggests jungle on grassland, but the picture just looks like scrub brush, rather than what I usually see for jungle. Are there any new terrain features in warlords and if so, is this one of them (don't have warlords yet)?
Prolly because AlanH took the screenshot on his Mac.

As far as I know there are no special terrain graphics on the Mac version. However, I do run BlueMarble, so maybe that affects what you see.

After playing around with this I've determined that one of the biggest variables in this game that makes a huge difference is "no city razing". This clearly handicaps the diplomatic player as the AI really struggles in placement on pelego maps and can really lay out some stinker cities.

Question: With no city razing on, does that also force us to always accept cities that revolt to us under cultural pressure?

culdeus said:
After playing around with this I've determined that one of the biggest variables in this game that makes a huge difference is "no city razing". This clearly handicaps the diplomatic player as the AI really struggles in placement on pelego maps and can really lay out some stinker cities.

Why do you say it is more of an issue for "the diplomatic player"? I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. It seems equally problematic regardless of how you're playing.

DynamicSpirit said:
Question: With no city razing on, does that also force us to always accept cities that revolt to us under cultural pressure?
Yes.. also newly founded cities wont autoraze

DaviddesJ said:
Why do you say it is more of an issue for "the diplomatic player"? I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. It seems equally problematic regardless of how you're playing.

I'm assuming for diplomatic win you will have to really get some population from conquest rather than settling. Plus the AI will settle in some wild places meaning if you want to go for a complete kill you'll end up with some dog-#### city sites.

I guess you can gift away the crappiest cities, but this doesn't seem to bump up your standing very much and often is rejected by other civs.

culdeus said:
This one is about as close as I'm willing to get in the timeframe.

If there is some glaring error please let me know.

The test game has the forested spices on a grassland tile. In the original screenshot, it's a plains tile.

Top Bottom