1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM3 Rome - Team microbe

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, Jul 12, 2004.

1. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We need to settle a town 3 tiles NW to our capital. Cumae might be the best target of AI.

TedJackson
    Barbslinger - up
    microbe - on deck
    gozpel
    scout

2. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

We need to settle a bunch of towns. You have my $0.02 on placement, but I made no attempt to prioritize. I wonder if we ought to go after the cow soon. Since we will eventually get into some "raze and replace" operations, we may need a second town capable of providing settlers (or workers).

3. barbslinger

barbslinger Gun blast'n shot drinker

I'm also thinking of going into an AW mode by building walls in ALL towns. I saw Ted had started a wall in our northern town. Veii can have a wall in 1 with 1 turn MM. What we need is towns, legions, workers and map info. If there is a choice between France and Abe I think I like Abe to declare on. Joanie is further ahead in tech and we can hopefully use that to get to MM and math. I'll play tonight after digesting info. I also like a town by the cow. I don't want Greece sneaking a hoplite/settler down there and having a path to our backdoor. the cow will give some nice growth.

4. barbslinger

Revised turnlog due to screwup!

SGOTM3Mic – 1250BC – Swap Veii to walls because they will be needed. Abe has one less city and Joanie is a better trading partner by nature so it will be war with Abe after I see about some trades. Sell WM to Cathy and dial sliders around and get Philo for 6gpt, WM and our change. More dialing and Cathy will give us MM for 8gpt. However, we can’t get WM from Abe for philo and MM!!!! Arghh. Get German contact + 1g from Hammi for WM and then and Germany gives us WM for philo,MM and WM. France is just to our north.
    IT – 4 English warriors head S towards Antium.
    [1] 1225 – Cumae spear gets settled into the city while the archer goes on walkabot to hopefully give us more WM coinage. MM for gold and research is off I’m afraid. Send Rome spear to Antium.
    [2] 1200 – Spear gets to Antium to brace for attack. Kill a Greece archer.
    IT – We defend against 3 of 4 warriors going elite with both spears. Rome Settler> Archer.
    [3] 1175 – Swapping units around and single sci in Rome. Heading settler 3 NW of Rome.
    [4] 1150 - Settler arrives at hill. Spear right behind him. Cash is now 5g +0gpt. Math in 22.
    IT – A hoplite to the NE of Veii looks to want to pillage. Cumae – Walls-Rax.
    [5] 1125 – Found Neapolis which helps our gold. Rome goes to spear build. 6g+2gpt.
    IT – Greece has a settler pair headed to the cow spot. Which I would have followed my hunch on that but we really need a road to our north and the city will help.
    [6] 1100 – Move workers to road north. Kill a Greece archer.
    IT – Veii-Leg>Leg. Hoplite moving towards wines now.
    [7] 1075 – Playing chess with hoplite. Rome goes to single sci for grow and now a settler in 3. Kill 2 greece archer with one promo.
    [8] 1050 – Joanie will give math for 7gpt and our change but it would kill our gold.
    IT - Germany lands the pyramids. Atium-Walls>vetoable horse. We can now get math for 6gpt and 21g from Joan only but I don’t think Otto will budge with out some cash and we have no slider dialing room.
    [9] 1025 – Nada
    IT - Archer that walked a bit from Veii spots a Greece horse incoming.
    [10] Forget because I’m in a hurry for work but nothing notable. Research is off because math is on the table. The math deal with Joan an swing when we found next town and then hopefully Otto will still need it and will offer something. Also, I built no workers but we need them for gold producing roads.

This run using Xenophobe came up with us lacking lit. It really pays off to dial sliders around before looking for trades. Dial them all the way down to see what is on the block for sale and then dial back. There can’t be a rule against that. I also found that they still want a better deal than if you haggle. 2 of the deals I looked to see if they would take less and they would but we are locked in this Xenophobe deal. I then took what they offered.
    It looks like a GA will be commencing soon. Our archers are still holding the line but I think we will probably trigger when Greece shows up inmasse at Veii.

5. barbslinger

Turnlog updated. Bump

6. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I'll play tonight.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: I continue research Math in 16 turns as that's cheaper.

I continue the min research on Math anyway. In retrospect I wonder why we didn't go for Poly and beeline to Monarch.

I switch horsemen to legions. I think legions are better deal with the same cost. We have to make the best of our UU.

(1)975BC: move settler.

(2)950BC: Elite archer attacks reg warrior and drops 4 straight hp. But it kills the warrior.

(3)925BC:

IBT France demands 20g, I refuse. She declares.

(4)900BC: We got our gpt payment back from France.

Germany gets Math too so no brokering possible.

Elite archer kills another reg warrior.

IBT America wants 40g for peace. England wants more. Our spear retreats a horse.

(5)875BC: Elite archer kills redlined horse.

(6)850BC: Vet archer kills reg warrior and capture two slaves. Kill English scout.

IBT reg French warrior promotes our archer.

(7)825BC: vet archer kills reg hoplite in Knossos. There is another one inside.

IBT France MA with Babylon against us.

(8)800BC: 4-hp elite archer kills American warrior and captures another pair of slaves.

Our heroic archer at Knossos kills another reg hoplite and promotes! Knossos is razed. Our settler heads that way.

There is silks just outside Antium. Still a long way to connect.

IBT England drops a reg horse.

(9)775BC: ZZZ

IBT the english horse doesn't attack.

(10)750BC: nothing.

Now two AIs declared on us. I'm not sure how to calculate the date now.

Math is in 6 turns. Some cats would help us to go some offense. After that I think we should go Polytheism.

We have some elite units. I really want a leader and rush Great Library.

We haven't triggered GA yet.

Two reg French swords are coming toward Cumae. We need some reinforcement there.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

This is the current map:

9. barbslinger

Wow! I know the cash was tight but refusing France was risky. They are huge, the leaders and will bring the house and the neighbors. Fingers are crossed.

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Maybe you are right, but we were supposed to declare on her very soon anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

11. barbslinger

That is true. I think in 7-8 turns. This game will prove to be very interesting and I now regret not going for a ring 3. Cumae will be tough to defend. Our GA will certainly help. I htink we should try to dig our selves into the S and SW and get another town NE of Rome. then buckle down for AW. If the greece lands were not so mountainous I would really want to get those guys out of here. Thinking about it maybe we should concentrate offensively on them.
    too bad we can't MA to get Joanie busy.
    BTW the annoucement said this is occillating. When does the ocillation start. :lol: this is more like Incremental AW.

12. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

I'm not so sure that we ought to really fear the French at this point...in looking at her cites, most seem to be size 1... if we could manage to hammer Paris, we could clip her wings good... and there's plenty of rough terrain along the way that gives our Legions a defensive advantage along the way...make one decisive thrust and France would be gassed.

All it will take is for Cathy to get in the mood for some elbow room, and all of our neighbors to the north are going to have their hands full. Sack Paris soon, and we just might weaken France enough so that Russia, America, or Germany decide to take advantage...

Hmmm... thinking out loud here... our GA is coming soon whether we like it or not... but the Legion is a tough unit for anybody to deal with in rough terrain... and Rome was built on Roman Roads...

What would you guys think about this...some small stacks of Legions and workers.... road our way to Greece, make a few catapults to soften up the Hoplites...

13. barbslinger

TedJackson
    Barbslinger
    microbe
    gozpel - up
    scout - on deck

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Scout, you can take it if you want.

15. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Just a quick note to let you know I'm tracking, but this is not quite a got it. I'm a little off my RL game today... but if I can't get to it tonight I'll play tomorrow night (unless Gozpel jumps in).

Edit: Just checked 2.0 Gram, and Gozpel posted something a few days back about a presentation mid-week... so I won't hold my breath for him to jump in here before Wednesday... maybe we can call it a swap if he comes back in a day or two.

16. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I thought I asked for a swap here too, but I can't see the post. I'm easily confused.

scout is right about my presentation, it's due tomorrow (8 A4) and needs some polishing. Then a whole bunch of people have to listen to my drivel :)

I can play thursday, so a swap is ok by me.

17. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

@Gozpel: Good luck with the presentation. Knock 'em dead, break a leg, etc.

I'll play this tomorrow night. Any priorities, suggestions, goals, whatever from the team would be appreciated.

18. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

We are losing ground in score again, the same happened in last game when we sat back on our fat behinds and built stuff.

We need to go on the offensive very soon or we can be happy to end up in the middle of the table :) Those early point gainage are hard to catch up on if we wait forever.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

While score is good, the first goal is to win. This isn't an easy game and I personally never had any AW experience except SGOTM1. So I have no comment. Talk is cheap, you'd better get out of you RL and jump in to help. :)

20. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

My $0.02 on score: we simply need to settle some more towns. This will be easier when we get a few more unit pumps going, but if we can get into a steady pace of razing AI cities and replacing them with ours... we ought to do okay on score.

Getting those spices hooked up in the west would also be helpful. Any thoughts on the best way to get them? Shoehorn another town in there, or go for a cultural expansion in Antium? (I'd hate to use a worker for a colony...)

I'll probably play this around 8:00 pm EDT (midnight GMT/Zulu) if anybody has any suggestions on what site(s) we ought to settle next... etc., just let me know. (trying to be a team player here...)