SGOTM4 A New Beginning - Announcement and Sign UP Thread

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
SGOTM4 - A New Beginning. Announcement and Sign Up Thread.

Hi everyone, and welcome to the SGOTM4 Sign UP thread. The general idea of SGOTM is for competing teams to play a Succession Game based on a GOTM scenario. SGOTM4 is based on GOTM-28 India and is set at Monarch difficulty. This scenario was ainwoods first map for GOTM, hence the game title. The game is available in CivIII 1.29f and PTW 1.27f formats and Mac players are welcome to play. A Conquests version of this game WILL NOT be provided.

Because this game is based on one of the later GOTMs' it will be necessary for 1.29f players to install the GOTM mod up to GOTM25. Both"vanilla" and PTW players will need to install new resources graphics and a new pediaicons.txt file. Complete instructions on how to do this are provided in the second post of this thread.
Note: EVERYONE has to install the correct resource graphics whether or not they have played this scenario or GOTM before.

The game will start on the 20th September, so sign up (either individually or as a team) by posting in this thread. Please note that self-constructed teams are restricted to a maximum of four members to which I may add one or two players for balancing purposes.

Here is the start position.

Here are a couple of links you might find useful.

The original GOTM28 Announcement.
The Draft Constitution
The GOTM Reference Thread.

This Months' sponsored variant is 5 City Challenge the rules for which are as follows.

1. You may not end a turn with more than 5 cities....

.... and that is it.

Please Sign UP by posting in this thread. If you have not played SGOTM before, please include:-

1. The software version you would like to play.
2. Whether you would like to play the sponsored variant or not.
3. The level of game that you feel comfortable playing (Monarch, Deity etc.).
4. If you wish to enter as a team then please state the teams name and it's members.

Everyone needs to follow at least one of the steps set out below. Please read the post carefully and follow the step(s) that are relevent to you. If you mess it up, don't panic. Just e-mail me at S_GOTM@gotm.civfanatics.net or PM me or any of the GOTM staff. We will help you.

SGOTM4 Setup for ALL PTW Players

Those people wishing to play SGOTM4 using the PTW software need to download >>THIS<< file. Unzip this file into your Civilization/Civ3PTW/Scenarios directory. If you do this correctly you should find a new SGOTM4 folder in your Scenarios directory. If you wish to mess around with the resources files, then there is a readme file in this new directory that tells you how. Otherwise, you can just go ahead and play the game with the set of resources graphics I have provided by default.

SGOTM4 Setup for CivIII 1.29f players (including Mac) who have not setup to play GOTM25 or later.

If you are playing Civ III 1.29f and have not played GOTM25 or beyond, then you need to download and install some game packs that add some different units, resources and civilizations to the game.

You can get the install packs at the following links:

GOTM 21 Full setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm21_v129_full_setup.exe

GOTM22 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm22_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM23 Add-on Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm23_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM24 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm24_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM 25 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm25_v129_add_on_setup.exe

All you need to do is download these, and then install them in the order that you download them. The key point is to make sure that when the installer asks where you want to install to, that you make sure that it installs to the directory where you installed Civ to in the first place. You now need to go ahead and install the correct resource pack for the game. Instructions for this are set out in the next section.

Resources and PediaIcons setup for ALL CivIII 1.29f players

Because there are a lot of people who play SGOTM but not GOTM, I have re-mapped the resources files so that they will not interfere with a "normal" game. The new resources can be found >>HERE<<. Unzip this file into your Civilization/Scenarios directory. If you do this correctly you should find a new directory called SGOTM4 in your Scenarios folder. If you open this new folder you will find a readme file which explains how to install the files you require for this game.

If you have any problems with either the installation of these files, changing the resources.pcx files or any error messages playing the game of the month, then please don't hesitate to e-mail or send a PM to myself or one of the GOTM staff. :)

Test Saves

CivIII 1.29f (Vanilla)
Vanilla test save

CivIII PTW
PTW test save

You should see sheep in the start position. If you see no animals then you probably have the standard resources installed. If you see goats (even though the terrain info button will say sheep), then you are probably using GOTM resources.

I would like to play in this one in PTW.

Edit: The requested info section was added after I posted, I think. At least I don't remember seeing it.

I'll play the variant.
I guess Emperor is the level where I am comfortable yet challenged.
I have never played a SGOTM so I don't have a team in mind.

First signup! :yeah:

Staff team, I guess? :D

EDIT: Damn, already beaten! ;)
I hope this won't happen in the game too, nor in the Ebay auction for which I am scouting the web right now...

Well we've still got a few more pesky non-Romans to rid the world of in SGOTM3, but I should be available for SGOTM4!

PTW
Variant, please
Any level
We haven't discussed it, but Team Peanut if the others are up for it.

I'm still hooked :)

= Civ v1.29

= Yes, please. We did it in SGOTM1, but I don't think that counts, so I'd like to try it for real.

= Monarch->Emperor when it's a GOTM start.

4. If wish to enter a team then please state the teams names and it's members.
= Xteam reprobates if any are willing.

AlanH said:
= Yes, please. We did it in SGOTM1, but I don't think that counts, so I'd like to try it for real.
Yeah, we had a lot of fun, maybe it'll be a bit harder to get the Forbidden Palace this time. :cool:

I'm in as well !
1) Version : either.
2) Variant : yes please.
3) Level : I don't think anybody is really comfortable at deity. :lol:
4) Team : old friends - new friends :crazyeye: :confused:

btw : As a former member of team Mauer I know something about this game :p , thanks to Taliesin for solving the barb puzzle.

1. PTW
2. If the team feels comfortable with it.
3. Deity (although comfortable might be the wrong word, but then i don't like it comfortable)
4. Any group of devoted players who like to have strat discussions continuously.

I would like to sign up for this SGOTM.
1. I would like to use the Play the World expansion version 1.27f
2. I shall try the 5 City Challenge variant
3. I am comfortable playing Emperor (although I might not be comfortable with a 5CC emperor game, but that's not the point)
4. There is no particular team that I wish to join.

1. Version: Civ3 1.29
2. Varient?: Sounds good to me :)
3. Level: Any
4. Team: If everyone from team tao is up for it, I would like to give it another try.

AlanH said:
I'm still hooked :)

= Civ v1.29

= Monarch->Emperor when it's a GOTM start.

4. If wish to enter a team then please state the teams names and it's members.
= Xteam reprobates if any are willing.
Reprobate #2 signing in. What Alan said for info. ;)

Requesting a new RNG for this one?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. PTW
2. 5CC
3. Any, level of comfort alters though.
4. Smackster from sgotm3

the 2nd one from the team reporting ready.

1.29, variant.

I think I'll bare with the dl's and stay with the Xteam :)

So to clarify my preferences:
1) Vanilla
2) Variant
3) Emperor
4) Xteam.

Top Bottom