SGOTM8 - Tim

I'm going to bed now. After 6 turns, Japan is down to 3 difficult-to-reach cities (our allies haven't done well; Japan even has a city on the English continent), and I'll be ready to start an English war next turn. Attached is some reconnaisance of the English lands.

Attachments

• SGOTM8_1720AD_1.JPG
    SGOTM8_1720AD_1.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 147
  • SGOTM8_1720AD_2.JPG
    SGOTM8_1720AD_2.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 153
That's great, Tim. Hope war weariness isn't causing you too much trouble. It'll all go away when Japan does anyhow!

Japan took ~20 turns to take their islands. I imagine England should be about half that considering we are better technologically now. After England the game shouldn't take long at all.

I guess I forgot to mention the leader in my midturn report.

1690(0): some MMing
science to 0% so we can get full interest from Wall Street
found Ivory City
MM cities again

IBT: cancel sale of dyes to England

1695(1): bombard Japan's oil
raze Nagoya
rush airport in Destination: NE Japan

1700(2): raze Tokyo
kill units in Jerusalem and Lutetia
airlift next to them

IBT: cancel lux trade with England

1705(3): raze Yokohama, getting a leader (I'll save it for England, since armies can't be airlifted)
raze Kagoshima
capture Jerusalem, raze Lutetia
kick science up to 50% (6 turns for stealth)

1710(4): raze Palmyra
rush airport in Destination: London

1715(5): capture Syracuse, Byzantium
found Springfield, New Washington, Hunt Valley

IBT: Japan drops off a guerilla
forgot to adjust for golden age end; Beijing riots

1720(6): raze Caesarea
Japan still has Reading on an island north of the main English island and Molde on an island north of the main Scandinavian island (would have razed more if I had realized that earlier) and Norwich on the English island

1725(7): WW is annoying, sign peace with Japan getting 386g, WM, ironclads (we'll ruin our rep this turn anyways)
MM accordingly, shortrush market in Thessalonica
declare war on England
kill all units in London
found Palo Alto, New Boston
airlift troops, settler by London

IBT: I notice I forgot to lower lux (at least everyone loves me)

1730(8): mobilize, lux to 0%
raze London, found English Foothold next to it, build an airfield; airlift units in
science to 90% to get stealth next turn

IBT: learn stealth, turn off research

1735(9): make MA army
raze Warwick, Nottingham, Seleucia
declare war on China and drop in some paratroopers
found New Philadelphia, New Atlanta
raze York, Lugdunum, Caesaraugusta

IBT: England, Japan sign peace
:crazyeye: China sends a spearman to American-controlled jungle on their island

1740(10): capture Tientsin, Chinan, kill China
remobilize
raze Birmingham, Leeds, Coventry

Notes: England was more pathetic than I expected (I don't think they even attacked any exposed units)
the army hasn't been victorious yet (it took out an empty city)
remember to take out a barb camp every turn
It should take 2 or 3 turns to take out England, then most of Japan can be taken out the next turn (maybe you'll want to wait until Molde can be attacked to avoid WW)
Feel free to take a couple of extra turns if we're that close to victory after 10
We should beat Cutlery, Bede, and Obormot (and possibly Xteam, though they're not really comparable)
I forgot to do this; I think the helicopter can drop a few workers on the island captured from China

Here is the save.

Attachments

• SGOTM8_1740AD_1.JPG
    SGOTM8_1740AD_1.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 148
  • SGOTM8_1740AD_2.JPG
    SGOTM8_1740AD_2.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 140
Wow, it's amazing to think that we can beat a number of teams considering what we went through early in the game! I will do my best :) Probably will play tonight or tomorrow.

Wow, that took over 2 hours.

We're down to the last two islands. The main scandinavian and a little one they tried to sneak in south of Copenhagen. Don't worry, they will all be gone in a few turns.

The only tricky part is airlifting in enough workers -- yes, workers! -- because Scandinavia never was able to build railroads. Adding to that disaster was missing a barb camp one turn and losing about 40 slaves on Old Japan.

Anyway, should have it wrapped up this weekend. Here's a teaser pic.

Attachments

• Tim_SG008_AD1756_Vikings.jpg
    Tim_SG008_AD1756_Vikings.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 152
Inherited Turn:
Rush the airport in Albuquerque because I'm going to use it here soon.
Rush a few settlers in size 6 cities. We have one tile of culture on the Viking island where Phoenix flipped and I want to get us a city there.

IBT-

Lose a 'trooper.

1) 1745AD
Raze Newcastle.
Raze Dove and get our second leader. Can we airlift armies? I need to check this before I fill this guy up.
I'm an idiot. I "check" by creating the army. Oh well. The English are doomed for certain, but I may just leave the army empty.
The next elite that wins gives us our third leader.
Raze Oxford.
Raze Hastings.
Leaders can't be airlifted either so I'm using him to rush an airport. I buy two more on the English mainland.
Raze Liverpool. English have been driven from their mainland.
A fourth leader mopping up troops on teh mainland and another airport.

Paratroopers land by the last two English cities. Bombers move into position.
Bombers in position to take outlying Japanese islands. Paratroopers airlifted nearby, but not dropped yet.

IBT-
'Trooper kills a tank!

2) 1750AD
We have enough heavy tanks. I'm swapping most builds now to infantry and helocoptors to hopefully speed up the island hopping. Not that we'll need much more.

Paratroopers capture Tarentum. I want the city for airlifting.
Well, our bombers fail us at the last English town. This slows down capturing the northern island, and I'm not going to waste paratroopers on a pointless attack. Anyway, we better move on to the next target...

...the Vikings! I declare.

Raze Tromso.
Between bombers and F-15s I empty two Viking towns. Bomb many, many more. Wish I had more 'troopers so I buy some.

I'm starting to think workers are better than settlers. I mean, their airports are a lot cheaper. And workers can be airlifted while settlers cannot.
Ah, but you do need settlers for the first town -- have to have aluminum for worker airports I think.
Think I'll kill the Japanese too. Pop up 30% Lux tax just to be safe, because that WW is back!

Raze Norwich.
Raze Canterbury.

IBT-

Vikings have 3 or so bombers.
A few scattered riots, but nothing big.

3) 1752AD
I was a little short of the airport I wanted to rush, so I sold some Libraries.
Disband the rest of our artillery; we won't need them anymore.

Raze Phoenix.
Raze Brighton after lethal bombard does the trick.
English are eliminated.
Set mobilization back to war-time.

How to get 3 frees airfield on a new island in one turn:
1) Bomb the town senseless.
2) Paratrooper for the win! Raze & Replace or Capture.
3) Relocate a helocopter loaded with workers to the newly capture town
4) Wake the workers and build 3 airfields.
5) Watch the tanks fly in.

Raze Karasjok.
Raze Hareid.
Raze Alesuid.
Raze Bodo.

Rebuild Phoenix.

IBT-

Well, I couldn't find the barb camp last turn, but it found about 40 workers on Old Japan... Oh well.

4) 1754AD
The Stealth Bomber in Houston can hit Stockhold :D

Remember the 5-step invasion I detailed last turn? Here we go:
1) Raze Rekjavik.
2) Found "Get On Your Boat Leif"
3&4) 3 helocoptors full of workers fly in (I want railroads)
5) Watch the tanks fly in.

Haha, this is great.
The two paratroopers on the island of Alesuid were abandoned. They had dropped in and razed the town after F-15s and bombers killed all the defenders. I was find leaving them behind. But then the Vikings drop off a settler pair the next turn. I bomb the conscript to death, capture the settler, and the workers build a pair of airports so we have our paratroopers back!

Raze Reading.
Raze Molde.
Japan is eliminated.

5) 1756AD
New San Fran founded.

I'm short on cash so I sell universities and libraries. The cash goes to rushing bombers and helos.

Bomb and burn Copenhagen.
Bomb Trondheim and Odense out of their defenders.
Airdrop troops beside Trondheim, Stockholm, Bergen, and Aarhus. With luck they all fall next turn.
Airlifting in more workers than anything else, because the Vikings don't have rails!

6) 1758AD
Paratroopers land outside every remaining Viking city. With luck we win next turn.

Capture Trondheim. I am capturing every city i take this turn, to help against the Viking culture.
Capture Aarhus.
Capture Stockholm.

I screwed up. I forgot to rush the airport in Get On Your Boat last turn, otherwise I would be able to lay rails and win this turn.

Capture Bergen.

7) 1760AD
The last turn

Raze Odense.
Raze Oslo.
Raze Birka.

And then...
]

I have to hit enter through to the next turn for it to register, so in 1762AD the following happens:

Final Save

Okay, pics and saves to go in when I can upload them. But we won! Firaxis score was ~4400 and when I get the saves up you can see for yourself.

Great job to both of us, Tim. We stuck it through to the end and got a pretty decent win time out of it!

Edit: If you want the save from the turn before the conquest victory was triggered, just let me know and I'll post it up Tim. Otherwise I'm not gonna bother ;) Great Game again!

Well done guys. Thans for sticking with it. I'm really sorry you ran out of players - or they ran out on you. I hoe your new billets in SGOTM 9 are in more stable teams.

Top Bottom