[NFP] Shadow game - help me beat Emperor

I advanced 1 turn to see what Pantheons are still available and Religious Settlements is still there!! Not sure there is anything else even worth considering??

no, there isn’t :)
Free settler is too good to pass here.

to consider: if you put a city centre where you marked it, you block quite a territory and leave no other spot on the Damietta river to settle and pick up that sweet 4 adj campus spot at the start of the river and semi-encircled with mountains.

if you put a city centre where you marked it, you block quite a territory and leave no other spot on the Damietta river to settle and pick up that sweet 4 adj campus spot at the start of the river and semi-encircled with mountains.
Great point, maybe something like this is better?

20200912113418_1.jpg

Another small chunk of 7 turns.
t35–41

Spoiler :

t35 - continental news
Spoiler :

Before the start of a new session I remember to check the continents lens, as I'd like to boost Foreign Trade. And indeed, the lens shows there's Nuna somewhere there, which I locate next Haarlem.

It is good that I've sent my second scout up North, as the East was being explored by my troops. Now he's ready to make the discovery of Nuna official.

Amber mined and the Wheel boosted. My cities have a moderate amenity surplus, but after the August patch my cities stay just content. I will not be selling them now, though. The no good trading interface of Civ6 made me adopt this pattern, where I only trade luxuries once every 30 turns, as much as I can. A brief moment of UI pain and it's out of my hair for 30 turns. I already traded on t31, so the next market day is scheduled for t61. This pattern is good enough to win Deity games, it will do for Emperor as well.

t36 - another routine day in Egypt

Spoiler :

Stonehenge goes on t36
My third scout is being annoying with the barb slinger. My slinger got some wuppin' from barb spearman, so I'm retreating him to heal and sending in the warrior to investigate.

t37 - what to tech and civic next?
Spoiler :

For tech I choose to race to Currency. With Foreign Trade complete, I'll buy a trader and boost it next turn. The Great People screen still shows no action, so I'll be aiming for those early Great Merchants. All else can wait on standby. There's nobody to fight with, so bottom is not so important, irrigation can also wait a bit.

Civics choice is Early Empire. Memphis is 2 pop, Ra-Kedet will grow to 4 in a sec, so it will be boosted very soon. Monuments about to complete, speeding it up further. That will leave me just the window to push out another two slingers from the capital to make them 3 for future 3 archers and Machinery eureka.
Egypt has lots of free land to settle, so next I'll probably slot in Colonization to churn out some settlers. Don't now about boosting State Workforce, I'll see later. And no, I won't bother waiting for Ancestral Hall before settling. I do not want Phillip and Wilhelmina coming down to those plains and plopping their cities there.

Because you see, Phillip is getting restless.

Where's my 50 grievances, btw? I only see 40. 10 decayed before I even could blink.
Anyway, Fez, er..., best of luck in your current conflict.

t38 - 1st trade route

Spoiler :

Last turn I bought a trader (been selling some more DF to Spain), and now it is ready to go. Two CSs also want a trade route, but I don't want to risk Wilhelmina's displeasure. I want her to like me:)
So the trader will travel to the Netherlands.

Memphis-Haarlem, 24 turns long trade route, one of the most efficient. For a shorter one you can only get it with a destination 11 tiles away (counting actual route tiles) and 22 turns long. The UI shows a bit of bollocks, btw, that number is just shortest distance, ignoring all obstacles (in this case the trader encounters no obstacles on its way, so the TR length checks out). If you want precision, you count highlighted route tiles manually yourself.

t39 - more eurekas

Spoiler :

My second builder spends the last charge to improve the second fish, which the capital just grew onto on its own, and boosts CN. The path to future harbours is boosted, and the capital now has some food and more housing.
I also placed a plain campus in the capital, to lock in the cost. I’ll see whether I finish it for the state workforce boost or not.

I continue to scout Spanish and Dutch lands. Wilhelmina has some problems. That settler wanted to go where the barb camp is, but now it just stands there. I'll keep my scout around to deter that settler from moving south.

t41 - patronage plans

Spoiler :

barbs games continue

Wilhelmina is building Hanging Gardens for her tulips

And I'm studying Chinese. I have a letter to write to Mr Zhang, offering him Egypt's patronage.
Finally, somebody started on scientists, including Wilhelmina. Fine, just leave the merchants alone. Zhang and Marco Polo from Medieval each give you 1 trade route. Irene gives a governor tile/promotion. Cleopatra would like to have all three of them.

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 41 2400 BC.Civ6Save
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Played a few more turns, met Buenos Aires (again not first).

Writing is in - Wheel next for my UU then Masonry for the Pyramids perhaps?

Craftmanship has 2 turns to go before I have to pause it and let the boost come in, perhaps Early Empire next?

Once the Capital finishes the warrior planning a Settler who will claim that juicy Campus site (first build there?), was thinking the Govt Plaza could maybe go next to it for what I think would be a +6 Campus?

After the monument is complete in Akhetaten I was wondering about a Scout to head West?

In Swenett perhaps a builder, although I could buy one instead perhaps?

20200912195554_1.jpg

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 33 2720 BC.Civ6Save
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 22
I would buy a monument in Swenett because it has the lowest production and then head towards Early Empire. Also I would have used the capital to make a trader instead since the above city is not that fast.

See I missed a turn or two - think getting religious settlements is a good call. An extra settler is just too good to pass up. :)

I would put the government plaza in the middle of the three cities we have so far - we can get some monster IZs with aqueducts and a dam (all built along the river) and a couple of commercial hubs too. Putting it here means we have flexibility about which city actually builds it too. Government plaza only gives +1 adjacency and if we put it where you've marked, it's not going to boost many other districts. A +4 campus is already fantastic.

I would buy a builder or maybe a trader. I don't know how many turns Swenett has spent on a trader, but the cost of traders goes up as you progress along the civics/tech tree, so producing them in low production cities isn't too efficient. Alternatively, we would get value out of a second builder.

Think the time for scouts has passed. Their extra movement point won't matter as much when there's less to find; they also don't benefit from a red card and are too squishy.

Writing is in - Wheel next for my UU then Masonry for the Pyramids perhaps?
At this point you've already gathered some information, it may be a good time to take a step back, look again at Egypt's and Cleo's features, and start making some more tangible plans and navigate the trees accordingly.

So, how do you imagine your expansion will look like: more peaceful or conquest?
If you go to the Wheel now, what considerable benefits your UU would bring?
Writing is in, maybe you can already place a campus? Not to build, perhaps, just to lock in the price.

With three cities down and another nice one planned, you can already decide and plan some districts. That will also influence your tech path.
Take a look into the Great People screen, maybe there is someone useful enough and worth the try to pick?

And I wouldn't think that it is already too late for scouts. There's still a lot to discover :)

Edit: btw, yes, maybe you should buy something: a monument or a trader

it may be a good time to take a step back, look again at Egypt's and Cleo's features, and start making some more tangible plans and navigate the trees accordingly.
I think that's a good idea, I'll use my Civ time tomorrow to come with a bit of a plan.

Thank you both for your help with finding the preview :)

I have finally risked a look into your spoilers, without too much fear to learn more of the map and spoil my own game :)

For posting pictures here, find some picture hosting website (I use Imgur which is still free, switched to it when Photobucket introduced a hefty fee for linking to forums).
Then upload your screenshots there, copy image address link and post it here using the 'Image' button above the text box (looks like a picture with two mountains and a sun or a moon). The pics then will appear normally in your post. At least that's the method I know.
Just don't forget to post them in between the spoiler tags.

Yikes, "One more turn" took its toll and I finished the game, but I'll just release updates peacemeal.

Turn 70:
Spoiler :

I expanded Thebes in the east to grab horses and also to build Pyramids. At this point Phillip was attacking Buenos Aries which is terrible because he would be at my doorstep. I put my next city of Abydos nearby to set up near them, sending Amani over to Hattusa (she was previously in the Buenos Aries). Hattusa is a great thing to add because it'll give me strategics without improving them and maybe their troops could help. Finally I befriend Wilhelmina and ask her to joint war because I didn't want another flank.

I get Oligarchy and one turn later Amani is installed in Hattusa, and I declare war. Buenos Aries has fallen but rebelling due to loyalty and I pick off all of Phillip's wounded units using archers.
He manages to get chariots to stop me and there is a brief standstill but by using warriors to block on hills and archers to shoot from behind, it does promote my units.

Buenos Aries rebels and I take the rest out. I save my gold to buy a horseman and liberate Buenos Aries as well as stealing an extra free city builder. At this point Phillip doesn't seem to have anything and has no walls, so I am to take him out.

Meanwhile at home I'm building some wonders that haven't gone yet. Magnus will be used to finish the plaza. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting a war so was building Ancestral Hall and my governors will probably be required to move to captured cities as I am in a normal age. I fail to notice Toledo has a Enteratinment Complex which would make loyalty issues much easier, which kinda sucks instead of having to move governors, but whatever.

It should be noted promotions make a big deal. +7 for your warriors and +5 for your archers makes them much better against chariots and the like.

At this point I still don't have a pantheon, but a newly made Sphinx gives faith and I will be aiming for the memest pantheon soon enough.

I also forgot Egypt's UU existed. Whoops.

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 70 1240 BC.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
t42-t51 (to the end of the Ancient Era)

Spoiler :

T42 - The Wise Men Predict: Times Will Be Changing Soon
Spoiler :

I look at this and think: one ripe camp, progression to classical, one boat and one Maryannu: 2+1+2+4=9, just what I need to Golden. I could probably scrape up enough cash to buy a galley and my UU. The problem is the Wheel is also 6 turns away and I won't make it without switching away from Currency, which then will not score that 1 point and delay my placing of CH. This irks me a bit, I decide to continue for Currency and hope for the best.
I'm also having a brain fart, completely forgetting that a sphinx will score me 4 points.

Aha...

t43 - horse trading
Spoiler :

Barbs about to die, and I get another inspiration

Phillip kicked me out, so I buy his open borders for a trifle of 1DF, 1 horse and 2 g. I want to continue my exploration of the further North, and if I'm luring that barb horse archer somewhere, it better be into the Spanish heartland.

t44 - Newsflash: Egypt declares an Empire! Passports required for entry.
Spoiler :

Early Empire done, next is State Workforce, it will be hard teched without a boost in 8 turns. It would take 7-8 turns to finish my campus in the capital. I prefer to build settlers now in both cities, I really start to feel the pressure to expand, with those sightings of AI settlers.
I slot in Maritime Industries in case I want to build a quick galley for era score.

Also picked Magnus, will aim for Provision promotion and settlers not reducing pop in the capital. Food is not superabundant.

t46 - Spanish news

Spoiler :

Go North, Phillip. Life is better there :)

t48 - to Golden, or not to Golden

Spoiler :

Currency done, era change 4 turns away, 3 turns left to score era points, and I will not have Wheel in time. I make peace with the fact that I will not have a Golden Classical.
Might as well pick up Irrigation and hook up the Wine, to drown the sadness in.

CH placed in Memphis. To time the settler in the capital with the second governor title and Magnus getting Provision, and also in hopes of some era score windfall, I switched there into galley for a couple of turns, it's half built.
I also buy a builder in Memphis, to build that sphinx in order to collect the remaining faith for a pantheon.
(...an audible click somewhere between my ears...)

Sphinx! Its a UI! 4 points! Galley 2 turns away from completion in the capital, just in the nick of time, another 2 points, for 6 in total - just exactly what I need!
Hello, Golden Classical One! :D

t49 - visions of enormous tombs
Spoiler :

Phillip returns the favour.

My barely alive third scout finds one more village, bringing the total villages found in the Ancient Era to 7. This is one of the best village results through all my games. I feel very much rewarded for my scouting efforts. The Scout gets Alpine promotion. The era score point is already unnecessary, but it saves me a builder charge for boosting Masonry. Maybe I'll think about the Pyramids.

t51 - End of an Era
Spoiler :

I decide to go for harbours, the capital will need one for a trade route, as I don't plan a CH there. I still feel pretty safe to leave the bottom of the tree for later.

With State Workforce done, Political Philosophy is 7 turns away, as for policies, I leave Colonization in, as I'm building settlers, and I put in Survey. My scouts still may found something in the fog. I won't be building any units now, maintenance for ancient units is free, I just don't need anything else atm, so Survey is probably the most relevant.

Situation in the North. Spain and the Netherlands have plenty of space there, I hope they will expand in that direction.

because the way South for them is a bit blocked by difficult terrain, roaming barbs and city states. The imminent fall of Fez to Spain is a bit worrying though. I do want to settle that Crater Lake.

On the way to my pantheon and to the Golden Classical Era, with 1 wasted point.

Somebody started on the second religion. Merchants still untouched, but I start to feel pressure.

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 51 2000 BC.Civ6Save
    1 MB · Views: 28
t52-61 (start of the Golden Classical Era)

Spoiler :

t52-56: friends for life
Spoiler :

I pick Monumentality, for faster moving builders, and possibly two or more gold bought settlers, I'm not so rich in faith though

The galley discovers another goody hut, but no Southern Passage. Locked in by land and ice. That's sad, my harbour in the capital will only be for fishermen.

In other news, Spain conquers Fez and the Netherlands declare on Buenos Aires. That is annoying, but I hope that BA will hold their ground better, they have quite some military.

Wilhelmina finally acknowledged my trade route and showed a smiley face. Phillip congratulated me on getting the Golden Age, so he must have Sycophant hidden agenda. I'm on my way to have two friends.
There's also a sandstorm. A bit stressful turn.

Survey card paid off? Another natural wonder.

Pantheon time. No more free settler, I look at the map, and look again, and pick City Patron. Not fabulous, but still, it will speed up getting that first district online. Considered goddess of the hunt too, but only two tiles will be worked immediately, others are in the third ring, gold will be better used buying settlers and builders and buildings etc.
Phillip becomes smiley too.

Btw, did you know that Cleo's ability means, you also get gold from traders, sent to you also by city states. So my slinger is trying to help Buenos Aires out, by getting in Wilhelmina's way. I want to keep BA alive.

The capital finished a settler and I'll complete the campus, sped up by Iteru and City Patron. At once, Magnus is sent to Memphis, to save a pop and I plan to buy and chop that stone into my CH. The settler travels to the Crater Lake. First, I'll try to claim the West, as the East is pretty safely blocked from AI settling.

t56 I reach PP and pick Classical Republic. More GPP means faster Merchants. Land surveyors - for stone tile buying purposes.
I sign Declaration of Friendship with both: Phillip II and Wilhelmina. I want to use Egyptian traderoutes, therefore, I'd rather have close trading partners and peace in our time on our landmass. With DoFs with my both continental neighbours, I'm now immune from any war with them.

t57-61: race to all those good spots
Spoiler :

Buenos Aires seems to hold their ground. Nekhen founded as an outpost in the West and for era score, I'll build a HS there. I may not seek a religion, but it is good to have faith income. Like for golden Monumentality dedication or rushbuying some valuable great dude. It is also very thematic, and I'm not trying to speedrun anything. The situation is almost under control, barbs on my front lawn and in my backyard vanquished, peace with neighbours guaranteed, settlers on their way, the game - as good as won. We'll only see in which way and when :)

t61 is rich in events. The capital has already finished its Campus and is back to Settler production. Memphis completed its settler, which is sent to the spot close to BA. Do you see that Duch settler? I'll beat him to my spot, and do all obstruction I can not to let him go SW.

Having sold some more DF to Spain, I immediately buy another settler in Memphis. I was planning to chop stone into CH and move Magnus back to the capital this same turn, but... no Masonry. I'll be darned... Always forget something like that :) Well, no hurry, settler price went up considerably and Magnus can wait a few more turns.

Meanwhile, in NE my other scout spotted some thicc yields and found another natural wonder. Where's Kandy when you need it? Unfortunately, the scout also stumbled on another barb camp with some angry horses. He earned a promotion, but runs for his dear life. May he survive! If no, well, I'll probably have to build those Pyramids to give him a decent burial.

t61 is also the Market day, when I trade luxuries. I only have one honey surplus and find the highest bidder. I'm holding onto my horses from Hattusa though, not keen on AI getting horsemen and trampling all city states to the ground.

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 61 1600 BC.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
t62-71 (Manifest Destiny)

Spoiler :

t62-66 - landgrab
Spoiler :

Mysticism finished, card reshuffle. There are 2 CS still with 0 envoys from me, I have 1 envoy and a few missions for a trade route. With the DL card I'll pick 4 envoys for the price of 2.
Nothing pressing to slot in the Wildcard, I chose to boost the collection of GS points.

My route to Haarlem, started on t38, 24 turns ago, has completed. I redirect it to Buenos Aires for a mission and 2 envoys. Buenos Aires is 8 tiles away, but the trader will have to complete 2 full journeys, as one journey - 16 turns - is under 21 mandatory turn, so the route will end in 32 turns.
Wilhelmina might scowl for now, but who cares, we already have a DoF.

My envoys

Egypt has two more cities. I may have to spend some gold buying tiles to prevent Buenos Aires taking "my" tiles, but later. Now all gold will go to buying settlers, as they're cheaper because of the dedication.

In the meanwhile, stone in Memphis chopped, CH completed, onto marketplace and second traderoute, Magnus moved back to capital to save a pop. Wilhelmina started the Machu Picchu. As long as she's not building CH of her own, I'm happy.

She may have started Machu, but Buenos Aires starts chipping at Haarlem. Can they take and raze it?:eek:
Phillip II has some loyalty problems in Zaragoza.

t67-71 - there's iron in them plains!
Spoiler :

a 1000-year flood! My future city spot just became so much more atractive :)

Yes, when there's no war and peace reigns, the game gives me lots of iron

Interesting developments. Can barbs capture the Duch settler? My brave scout survived and almost healed, I'll hide him behind the Dutch and observe from a bit further.

Wilhelmina feels the burn and makes peace with BA. Somewhat disappointing...

Unbelievable, she settled unharmed! Another slight disappointment.

I've marked a spot here, but the Spanish capital is very close. This spot may be impractical then. Iwnw was settled back there solely as a springboard for this settlement and to support it. Shame. But we'll see.

Mr Zhang can already pack his bags for the move to Egypt. Memphis will complete the markeplace soon and run a project, that should be enough or close. I'd like to pick up Hypathia too, but that's much less likely.

Spain got some more gold, so I sold them some more DF.

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 71 1200 BC.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
t72-81

Spoiler :

t72-76 - a bit of GP scheming

Spoiler :

Another settler completed and their cost becomes quite high. I take out Colonization and replace it by caravanseries. Every small coin counts, as I will be buying further few settlers. I start to work on completion of the harbour, for +4g from adjacency and eventual trade route.

Looks like Phillip got horses of his own, so I sell him mine while he's still buying.

So, let's see: it costs 360g to buy a library...

...and, at the moment, it costs 500 g to secure Hypathia, who builds that library for free and makes all libraries better. I take this deal. Next settler will have to wait a bit longer, but you can't have everything you want.

So, Hypathia ensures that Egypt has its first library at once, and in combination with Hattusa that library is as good as an University :)

O-oh... No, Philip, don't you dare... I will try to block that settler of his as long as I can.

t77-81 - running with the bull
Spoiler :

Where are you going? And also going for a wonder, I see.

Looks like, somebody else has finally set their eyes on Zhang Qian. I do hope to be much faster, though.

I feel hard pressed for cash, so I'll try to build a couple of builders. There are new tiles to improve. Ilkum is in.

In two new cities, other places are building something more important. Also, switched to build a trader in the capital. Traders first!

Another efficient 24 turns long route and an envoy for a completed quest.

Well, damn...

F
You did well, my brave scout! Scouted out about a third of this landmass. I'll try to build a decent tomb for you!

That Spanish settler is definitely going for "my" spot there. I trade Philip some more DF to scrape up enough cash to buy another settler in the capital, which will go East for that nice campus spot in the mountains.
Magnus moves to Nekhen, I'll buy a settler or two there to save travel time. I still hope to prevent Spanish settlement there.
I won't be chopping too much forests with Magnus. Egypt has so little greenery, I prefer to leave forests be :)

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 81 875 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
t82-91

Spoiler :

I'm down to 1 chunk of pics for 10 turns.

t82-91: my dear neighbours and a visitor from overseas
Spoiler :

Artemis gone t84. I kinda half-wanted in, but with that sort of production and competition for space going around, it didn't happen
I've changed my mind and put GP next to the river - a bit faster and it'll boost CH while it still matters a bit.
Still scaring away that Spanish settler.

Welcome to Egypt, Zhang Qian. Here's an Egyptian Phrase-Papyrus Roll :)
Friendships with Phil and Wilhelmina expire and are immediately renewed.

I tentatively start on Pyramids. Next era will not be Golden, but do I want it to be dark? I have a dicy corner of the empire to deal with.

Great, now there's two of them. I sell all my horses and almost all of Hattusa-supplied iron and scrape up enough for an emergency settler in Nekhen. Magnus does the cloning.

Hello, Harald. I've got a galley, wanna see it? Come on in!
I invite him, because, frankly, what can he do? And I plan to send him a delegation immediately. Which I promptly forget to do. Oops.

No cigar. RIP my riverside city spot. I'll have to take that -9 crap. Still better than no city.

Next GM and GS not so useful to me and will go somewhere else, but that's fine, can't do much about it, so I'll just say I didn't want them anyway :)

Tech-wise I want Apprenticeship for that IZ, Engineering for Acqueducs, first I'll want to boost IZ's adjacency so that it would give me era score on completion, and construction for those few lumbermills. Egypt is unaffected by floods, so Buttress can wait.

t91 - Market day - sold three luxuries to the highest bidders, and there was nothing to buy. Memphis finished GP and will build Ancestral Hall in it. At least a few latest-founded cities will get those free builders. Picked Liang, with a view to give her Zoning Commissioner, to further speed up district building in selected cities.

to reduce the number of my posts, I'll start adding to my old ones, if nobody posts in the meanwhile. I just find this pace of 10 turns a day very convenient for reporting purposes and hope to wrap it up until Byzantium&Gaul releases. And if I play more, I tend to forget what I was doing and why :)

t92-101
Spoiler :

t92-101: end of Classical, start of Medieval

From Civ 1 Newspaper: Nostradamus fortells future: Trouble ahead!
Spoiler :

Trade route Memphis-BA, started 32 turns ago, completes. I move the trader to Iwnw

from where it will go to Amsterdam for 12 tiles and 24 turns long trade route.
In other news, Phil finally declares on Wilhelmina. What took them so long?

Last turn of my Golden Age. I've just scraped enough for faith-bought 4-charges builder

and, after selling all my strats and a bit of DF, for another discounted settler.

The scouting of Spain and Netherlands is complete. My traders know where to go, and I know all about their wonder building plans. They still do not attempt Pyramids, so I continue working on them.

The last big decision - do I do Dark or Normal? I could send an envoy to BA and get Suzerainty and 2 era points. But, you know, the path dark-heroic is very attractive, and Cleo also wants to learn the power of the Dark side.

So Dark Medieval it is. And this sinking feeling, when I see Phillip got Golden. Oh, my!
I pick Inquiry dedication, as some new campus, libraries, possibly unis and more eurekas are coming my way.

Medieval WC goes 50-50, while districts are easy, I miss the first one: I voted gold, everyone else went for production

I suddenly feel no longer so safe about my Pyramids. And remember to send him a delegation :)

There is Kandy in this game! Not close to me, though. Also, looks like, I'll have to step up my science game. Gilgabro is on the map. The way this will go, I imagine it will be a SV, unless CV, unless accidental DV.

Thebes is in jeopardy. I've sent my latest settler elswhere, because no chance to settle that former -9 spot, which is now -20. I started to pull my troops closer to Thebes. That settler has 1 charge left which will be used to improve iron and boost IW. Then I'll upgrade to swordsmen and archers. There are all the chances for me to lose Thebes and then I'll have to keep retaking it until Renaissance.

Drat, and double drat!

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 91 625 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • CLEOPATRA 101 375 BC.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
t102-111 (TIL: 30 pics limit per post. Got it! New post below)

Spoiler :

A fitting Civ 1 Newspaper headline again: Cleopatra's beauty secrets! Section B.

t102-111 - way out of the limbo
Spoiler :

Campus completes in Sena, which on top of an inspiration and era score brings...

Praetorium card:

Which is only a slight mitigation, but not a cure. The cure is a Cultural alliance with Spain. So I go for Civil Service, unboosted.

In the meanwhile, Wilhelmina declares on BA. Will she ever learn?

Inevitable revolt next turn, so be it. I withdraw from Thebes with everything

10 turns to retake. I should manage.

Crassus is pretty good, and I could buy him out. But I fear that after him, there could be someone more valuable in line, and gold is... well, the price of gold for Egypt atm. So I take the gamble to wait a turn for a natural arrival.

In the meanwhile, 1 DF more sold, and the capital can buy a water mill for an eureka

Next turn, bruh! Gilgabro is no bro to me, I don't know him yet anyway:

At least my hunch was correct, I want Irene more than Crassus.

Capital built a trader last turn, moved to Nekhen it finds a very nice 24 turns long TR to Valladolid, 2 production, on top of all that gold.

Egyptian trade routes are taking off, outbound:

and inbound:

More Nile floods...

...more ridiculous offers (I wish they didn't do that)...

Capital buys and improves another honey (Section B!) and places an IZ

Thebes no longer mine for the moment, so change of cards

And Pingala to the capital to boost culture

Funny, you should say that, Qin

His visit to my galley paid off!!! He liked the boat :D

and my fallen scout finally given a proper burial and tomb! Egypt is eternally grateful.

5 turns to Spain?? I buy a Maryannu Chariot in Nekhen to speed things up and for 4 era score.

At least 26 turns to go to the Renaissance and only 11 era score to Heroic, very doable. Egypt is about to get next level libraries. Cleo shall abide :)

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 111 125 BC.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
t112-121
Spoiler :

t112-121 - back on track
Spoiler :

Retaking Thebes and getting to Civil Service and alliances next turn

Deal...

...and deal. Happy war between you two!

Thebes are back for 2 era score, with unquestionable loyalty, and my ancient spot now is ok to settle as well.

The capital finishes Aqueduct and starts on IZ, it has enough adjacency already for 3 era score on completion. But I start to suspect that there will be quite large era score overflow, it is pouring in from all sides. Oh, well.

Eindhoven revolts and gravitates to Spain. Not, if I can help it. My two new shiny Maryannus have a mission, I'm pulling here my other units as well.

Irene arrives to Egypt directly from Athens and brings the Researcher title for Pingala.

Right behind her in line, there is Marco Polo, I want him very much as well, but I'll have to work to get him.

2 Niter, how sweet!

+3 era score for the last one

They're busy diplomats there too

We're still in the middle of the Medieval era, but Egypt is already over the Heroic threshold. I'll try not to look into this tab anymore :)
t121 - yes, it's the Market day. New trades, I buy from them a couple of luxuries and sell my surplus, but my cities remain only content under the new system, despite a few extra amenities.

t122-131
Spoiler :

t122-131 - a little disappointment, but also an objective reached
Spoiler :

Traders are really starting to bring home the bacon. But the time to get into Eindhoven is running out. I snatched a free 3 charges builder from them, which is helpful.

Despite growing income, Cleopatra is very hard pressed for cash. Her expenses grow exponentially. So Caravanseries are in for +12 gpt and Merchant Confederation, a very rare case for me, is also in for +16 gpt from envoys. I need a settler, which costs 1280 gold or so.

What a dilemma. I could upgrade that archer into an Xbow to have more punch, but that's 250 gold. But I only have this turn to act, as it will be too late next turn. All this archer firepower may not be enough. I pay up and upgrade.

When the firing stops and the dust settles, it is close, but no cigar. Should have brought that scout there, forgot about that :wallbash:
Now Eindhoven will join Spain.

A lot of horse and iron and DF sales brings me enough cash to buy a settler.
Also, see that red Spanish Eindhoven? Yes, disgusting, I know.
I send my Maryannu Chariots via the Netherlands up North. I have unfinished business there.

What a lousy WC session. Cleo returns with no points, sour as a very sour lemon.

Enough of unpleasant surprises. I buy out Marco Polo with faith. Bite me!

I'll go for unboosted Exploration and Merchant Republic. Not much use for Monarchy with those military cards; unboosted because Cartography is quite far away in turns, besides, I have better ways to spend my gold than upgrading into two Caravels in a closed sea and paying more maintenance for them.

Welcome, Marco Polo, tell me all about Qin!
Pierro de Bardi is next. 200 gold and an envoy. AI may have him. I've got the three early ones I wanted. The original objective reached.

Finally! The West is settled. I still have like 3 spots to fill in.

General view of the heartland. Swenett is going for Petra, as nobody in the known world is going for it, Nekhen has ambitions for Kilwa. IZ in the capital already supplies 6 production through adjacency.
Phillip is tied with Gilgamesh for beakers per turn :eek:

Attachments

• CLEOPATRA 121 125 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • CLEOPATRA 131 375 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
@MrRadar rightly said now was a good time to step back and do some planning, didn't expect it to be as long but never mind! Still not fully formed and not 100% sure pof path but feedback welcome. Definitely need more scouting information.

Long term
Tentatively I'm thinking of a culture win, too early to be definite but good to have in mind. Not aiming for a religion and domination is not really my thing, although I'm quite happy to do a limited war to take some territory or remove an annoying neighbour.

Medium term
Civics
I need to get to Autocracy via PP and then push to Alliances via Civil Service.

Craftmanship - boost will come when builder improves the Amber.
Early empire - boosted
State workforce - Campus will boost this, might divert to Military Tradition first to give it time
PP - need to scout and meet more city staes
Drama and Poetry - Pyramids will boost this
Defensive Tactics - hope I don't get the boost for this!!
Recorded History - need 2nd Campus somewhere
Civil Service - hopefully Capital will grow to 10 pop in time
(After that will need to head to Exploration but will need to reassess at the time)

Technology wise
Masonry - boosted
Currency - will get the boost from a trade route, I'm thinking a Commercial Hub on the river besides Akhetaten would be nice
[Great people - would love to snag Zhang Qian (extra trade route and more gold), so thinking I need to go for Currency soon]
The Wheel - boost will come when builder improves the Amber.
Irrigation - boosted
Sailing - boosted
Construction - needs a water mill somewhere
Astrology - need to scout and find a NW
Celestial Navigation - improve the 2 sea resources and then build Harbour at capital

I need to do more scouting, especially the river north of Akhetaten. I think Phillip might be up there and I'm tentatively thinking of attacking him with my UU especially if he a lot of rivers in his territory. I would rather not have to face Conquistadors. Wilhelmina on the other hand could be a good ally with trade routes between us giving us both benefits. On the other hand I could let Phillip spread his religion to me and be best buddies whilst letting Wilhemina get culture from my trade routes might be a bad plan! More scouting will help answer these questions.

On the other hand I can see the benefit of expanding to 5 cities and getting some districts down, Capital can do a campus in 8 turns and I need two for the Recorded
History boost

Short term
Builder: mines the amber and is done
Warrior and Slinger - take out Barb Camp
Scout - explore NE, find Wilhelima

Ra-Kadet: Warrior -> Settler (for the Campus location) -> Campus (lock it in now)
Swennet: Trader -> monument, buy tile for Pyramids when ready to build it
Akhetaten: Monument -> Scout

Buy a Builder immediately, improve honey at Akhetaten and Corn at Swennett. Is it worth buying horse tile and improving it, for the production as much as anything.

Possible District layout along the river.

20200919135401_1.jpg

Top Bottom