Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

P.S. For a second, I thought that Jon the Bastard was JonTron. :(

Alas, I disappoint yet another CivFanatic. :( I am truly sorry, my good sir, that I am not JonTron.

I was on mp and some dude spammed a great prophet to my shrine to try to beat my religion. So since I was Assyria and it was still classic era, I tried out the new assyrian seige towers and took the dude's shrine city capital in a few turns.

So, Libraries can't house Great Works of Writing. Does . . . does that strike anyone else as pants-on-head stupid?

Not having been able to sit down and study in great detail how that would affect balance I can't say in any way shape or form it struck me as outright pants-on-head stupid.

So, Libraries can't house Great Works of Writing. Does . . . does that strike anyone else as pants-on-head stupid?

It does... myself for one. But, do you think they decided not to do that because the Writer's Guild is available so early (two Great Writer slots) and then Oxford (two Great Writer slots) is available shortly after that?

What happens if you use a great artist to create a great work of art but you don't have an art slot available? Does it disappear?

Currently I'm playing as the Shoshone on Continents, 3 extra AI and on Emperor. Even though I could only get 2 ruins I was able to get culture and religion. I'm not playing all that efficiently and got the NC out in turn 90 or something, but I'm still leading in points with 4 cities.

I finished Tradition, got 2 policies in Piety and 2 in Aesthetics while the world congress has just started. I've spread my religion to Assyria and Songhai and will spread it overseas to the Huns and Carthage who don't seem to have a religion. Hopefully I can then make my religion the world religion.

For now I'm thinking of proposing the resolution that boosts artists as I'm trying out the whole new culture system. Since these guilds need 2 pop, I've been building them in separate cities. Hopefully I won't end up regretting that choice :p.

Played my first game as Poland on Emperor, Standard Earth Map and it was an absolute blast.

By the end I had 4 policy trees filled out, Freedom full tenants, had 2.5 times the second place score (It was Rome, he hated me all game but never attacked me), Influential in 3/5 civs remaining and won by Space victory though I could have had Diplomatic in a few turns not to mention Cultural.

Treaty Organization and Arsenal of Democracy are absolute beasts, I had 10/10 city-states on side by the end of the game, some with more than 600 influence and I barely spent any gold. I would gift units given to me by military city-states and units I didn't care to upgrade.

Passed some contentious resolutions such as Standing Army Tax, Preferred Ideology: Freedom and Embargo on Rome (he was not amused!). AI also really likes to ban resources. They also tried to Embargo City-State trading (Which would completely screw over my Treaty Organization so I had to throw around some money to make sure that didn't get passed).

I look forward to trying Order next game, Freedom was beastly.

What happens if you use a great artist to create a great work of art but you don't have an art slot available? Does it disappear?

I think the tab to create a Great Work of Art is grayed out in that case. I think... someone feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.

No I don't have an available slot, I have two but both are used already, now I have another artist, but don't want to create the GWoA if it might disappear...:)

Gold is...rough! I did peak at about 70 gpt at Universities, but wars and pillaged caravans have left me in an economic freefall.

Well gold concerns are over. Trade routes back up and I'm 100+ per turn. Having the routes pillaged by war, limited happiness which makes trading for resources really matter...its very early, but I'm liking the direction they've taken and its effects on diplomacy.

- too many new obscure unexplained mechanics for my brain to comprehend

Yes, its taking some getting used to. I haven't even focused on the new mechanics yet.

Stardate 1888. Portugal. Archipelago. Standard. Prince.

Random-rolled the other players, ended up with Venice, newly revamped France and Arabia, and Mongolia, Greece, Songhai and Rome filling out the rest.

The new/revamped civs have, to say the least, been doing better.

France has been a monster in this game, for one thing. Strangely, Napoleon is going mainly Diplo and I'm going mainly Cultural, which ir probably backwards, but for maybe the first time I'm feeling a real challenge on my own style of playing, rather than just warmongers trying to attack me while I play my lone culture game. This bodes well.

Venice has been the other major player on the world stage, and Dandy does it nicely. He founded Catholicism very early and spent most of the early game just pumping it out like crazy. I've been able to do a little bit with Eastern Orthodoxy but not anything compared to Dandy's spread.

For all of this, Venice, Mongolia and I are the friendly triumverate. Everyone else is totally isolationist. Except that Venice and Mongolia are Catholic, I'm not, and France is, which complicates things a bit, such as when France pushed World Religion through the WC by one vote and forced me out of my hosting position with it.

My culture and tourism are still much greater than Napoleon's, and after cooling down about him snagging the Uffizi (and really every wonder he can get his hands on - it's kind of obscene) I managed the Louvre, which hopefully will cripple his UA bonus. Still, it feels as though we're on an inevitable collision course.

The Feitoria comes pretty late but is damn fine, and gives you your own copies of the luxes, rather than importing them. This is important as I'm hoping to shower around some candy for love before the next WC vote and see who I can get to gang up on France already...

(Oh, and my iron didn't show up until I researched Iron Working. What's up with that?)

Venice on an archipelago map with the Treaty Organization tenet from Freedom is the most broken thing ever I think.

Seriously I just won a Diplomatic game with 50+ delegates and a huge pile of gold (also got the Lingua Franca achievement.)

In that case, the button to create the Great Work is greyed out. I had a couple artists sitting around at one point because of this.

Oh! I should also mention that I've been chilling with Freedom for a while now while nobody else has chosen an ideology (I had a lode of coal sitting under a manufactury, it turned out, and was able to spawn 3 factories the same turn I finished Industrialization.) I'm eager to see how that plays out. Everyone's been peaceful so far, except for Harun al-Rashad, who apparently will only handle his issues with my buddy Timujin (who has done nothing threatening all game) if I come along for the ride.

Ahh yes. It is greyed out

In my game Shaka got embargoed, I was funny to see his income so low in the negatives. Doing a Shoshone cultural victory, and gradually grinding Omar then enough tourism. I am also rolling in control and have enough freedom policies to slow me to take the science and diplo victory paths.

Top Bottom