Sharon suffers 'significant stroke.'

I, on the other hand, hope that he dies. When Rabin tried to get the illegal settlers out, Sharon personally showed them how to get back in, past the checkpoints (there was a BBC documentary with video of this). His stated goal when it comes to the occupied territories is to use the illegal settlements (and now walls around and leading to places of religious significance, such as Rachel's Tomb in Bethlehem) to cut Palestinian towns off from each other in an attempt to prevent any kind of organisation on the part of the Palestinians. Taking the settlements out of Gaza was simply a strategic redeployment, with more settlements going into the West Bank. He is an evil, racist man. If he dies, maybe someone more right-wing will come in. On the other hand, the removal of Sharon from both office and life (and thus influence) might enable a real peacemaker to make a difference.

zulu, I do not by any means forgive Sharon for his war crimes and his crimes in government policy, but there is no point to wish him dead now. He is out of politics for good, even if he survives - and survive he will not.
Besides that, I was shocked and overjoyed a few months ago to hear him speak on the radio like a real moderate lefty, going on about making the life of the Palestinians more bearable and pulling out of territories.
It may well be the case that just a bit before the end he realized the error in some of his ways and started to turn back.
It also may well be that he never really changed and that this is all just strategy, but I'm disinclined to follow that line of thinking.

SeleucusNicator said:
It'll be a shame if he doesn't recover.

Over the past few years, I have been extremely critical of Sharon. While it is my wish to see him and his ideas defeated, it is not my wish that his life be cut short this tragic and traumatic way. I think I speak for just about all his critics when I say that.
I doubt that very much.

Can't say I have any appreciable respect for the man, but his policies in the last couple years have been tolerably enlightened. His death will bring me neither tears nor joy.

Yikes. Everything is changed now.

Someone from Kadima has exactly 48 hours to become a leader if that party wants to have any chances at survival. Odds are that it will not happen and all the opportunists who left existing ideological parties for an amorphous conglomeration of interests are going to get screwed.

The elections will really turn into economical ones now. Sharon had an interest to focus on security messages since he has a powerful military background while Peretz has nothing significant.
Now we have both Peretz and Netanyahu who hold strong and opposite economic beliefs and it's definetely going to be a battle worth watching.

Bibi already is the Likud candidate. He won the party elections last week(or was it two weeks ago?).

rmsharpe said:
I can't say I particularly care whether you're saddened or not.

Even if I don't agree with a lot of his policies, I hope he gets better.
And I can't say I particularly care that whenever a politician you disagree with dies, you offer a snide and pithy insult.

I guess from now on it'll be one blink for 'withdraw', and two blinks for 'occupy'.

logical_psycho said:
My thoughts. And it's better to see him go this way, than having him taken out by some Palestinian.
It seemed much likelier that some radical right-winger would make an attempt than the Palestinians...

has he died yet?

slozenger said:
has he died yet?
I'm not even bothering to check, it doesn't matter, his brain's mush. If he weren't the PM they'd not bother to try keep him alive as long as they did.

Really throws my threads "whats going on in the middle-east" on its head!

For the record, I'm keeping tabs on who is celebrating now for when Robert Mugabe and Fidel Castro finally croak to see their reactions then.

logical_psycho said:
My thoughts. And it's better to see him go this way, than having him taken out by some Palestinian.

I reckon Hamas are actually quite peeved that Sharon has denied them the opportunity...

Get well soon and enjoy your retirement, Arik.
One's support for him has waned recently with Gaza and what not, but his style is admirable.

Bring on Netanyahu and and the return of a harder line.

rmsharpe said:
For the record, I'm keeping tabs on who is celebrating now for when Robert Mugabe and Fidel Castro finally croak to see their reactions then.

For what purpose? That different peole prefer different types of politicians (and politics)? Well no ****, Sherlock.

SeleucusNicator said:
it is not my wish that his life be cut short this tragic and traumatic way.
He's 77, his life is hardly being cut short. Its a natural death. If he was shot or something then yes, but i dont think this is being cut short.
However, that doesnt mean i dont care, anybody dying is a sad thing, i dont like him but i still wouldnt want him dead.

I just realized I'm kinda pissed at Sharon for rising to power in such poor physical shape... Not a very responsible thing to do... He could have achieved much more as a center-leaning old guard leader of the right wing if he would be in shape not to croak at critical moments.

zulu9812 said:
For what purpose? That different peole prefer different types of politicians (and politics)? Well no ****, Sherlock.
I'm keeping record for when real tyrants keel over.

Top Bottom