Should cavalry upgrade to Tanks?

A nitpick, Polish cavalry doctrinally abandonned lances about a year before 1939 probably the result of reorienting strategically from the USSR towards Germany. Cavalry units to this goal were planned to be modernized into 4 motorized/mechanized units with light tanks (1 was completed and another partially, but both with only a single tank company), while the remaining brigades were to be become semi-motorized but retaining their mounted-infantry/saber-cavalry combat regiments.

I've made it so cavalry upgrade to light tanks using the M3 graphics from the war in the pacific scenario, a 9/6/3 unit that requires rubber (alternatively, just oil), and those upgrade into tanks which are more resource intensive (also requiring iron).
A "counter-nitpick:"

"The charge at Krojanty, battle of Krojanty, the riding of Krojanty or skirmish of Krojanty, was a Polish cavalry charge on the evening of 1 September 1939, the first day of the Second World War, near the Pomeranian village of Krojanty."

Just be thankful that @Wyrmshadow isn't around much. ;) (His Polish Lancer.)

The Soviets, in World War 2, used a large number of cavalry divisions, especially in the steppe region. I do not have the Cossacks set to upgrade to Tanks.

There were "rumors" in the 1970s, at the height of Sino-Soviet tensions, that the Chinese deployed horse soldiery in remote areas in the country's NW ... Which, I heartily suggest, is reason enough for some hypothetical Unit lines to just … die out.

Buut, not with lances but with sabers (at least in this incident!)! I see some sources do refer to attacks with lances this is probably erroneous and an assumption about the "lancer" (in Polish "Uhlan") squadrons nature. But its not implausible some units had access to lances and used them. One such possible use was when the Mazowiecka brigade faced off the German 1st Kavallerie brigade in an small incident of mounted combat, reportedly here and in some subsequent cases Poles used lances as weapons.

All this not to imply Polish cavalry were never employed in the charge! By all accounts these were very dangerous actions even if in the rare ideal circumstances. Otherwise the advantage of horse-mounted infantry is readily apparent in difficult terrain, at least in a tactical sense, and so far as Polish roads in 1939 were not really adapted to motorization.

"lancer" (in Polish "Uhlan") squadrons nature
I think that some British tank squadrons are still called ‘Lancers’ to this day, or at least were into the 20th century.

I think that some British tank squadrons are still called ‘Lancers’ to this day, or at least were into the 20th century.
Interwar: "British armored vehicles tended to maximize either mobility or protection. Both the cavalry and the Royal Tank Corps wanted fast, lightly armored, mobile vehicles for reconnaissance and raiding—the light and medium (or "cruiser") tanks. In practice the "light tanks" were often small armored personnel carriers. On the other hand, the "army tank battalions" performing the traditional infantry-support role required extremely heavy armored protection. As a consequence of these two doctrinal roles, firepower was neglected in tank design."

"Infantry Support Tanks" the Matilda I - were also designed with the rationale that, being in the infantry support role, that they need not have a speed any greater than that of marching infantry ... :run:

ADDENDUM: Cruiser Weights: The Evolution of the British Cruiser Tank

The Matilda II could make 15 miles an hour, and was pretty much invulnerable to anything less than an 88mm gun of the Germans. They wrought havoc on the Italians in the first British offensive in the Western Desert. The Italian anti-tank gun was a 47mm piece with limited penetration.

The Matilda II could make 15 miles an hour, and was pretty much invulnerable to anything less than an 88mm gun of the Germans. They wrought havoc on the Italians in the first British offensive in the Western Desert. The Italian anti-tank gun was a 47mm piece with limited penetration.
Yep - the Matilda II - even the Brits learned some, too, during the War :ar15:

:D

Yep - the Matilda II - even the Brits learned some, too, during the War :ar15:

:D
The Matilda II was developed and being produced before the war started, once the massive limitations of the Matilda I had been recognized. The Matilda II figured prominently in the combat with Rommel's 7th Panzer Division at Arras in May of 1940. It was a major shock to the Germans, as the only thing that would stop one was the division's 88mm Flak unit.

One reason that I like the PTW Test of Time scenario so much is that I get to play around with the British Churchill infantry tank, which was a very good and useful vehicle. I suspect that someone, like maybe Delta Strife has made the Crocodile flame-throwing version. Now that would be nice to add to the vehicle mix.

The Churchill Crocodile was in fact made. Wyrmshadow made one; an earlier unit by smokingmirror was in a now dead thread.
I sort of figured that one had been made. That is a nice unit. Now to get up the nerve to start adding units with the tutorial that Civinator so very kindly furnished me.

Top Bottom