1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

should the us be in the game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Karl Townsend, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

i think the us should be in the game as i like allying with them....lol but what i do think is unfair is the fact the still get to use the navy seals i think i should get the SAS or even the commando's as they are still better than the navy seals

2. deo

deo Emperor

IMO The problem is the name, there's no America Civilization, nor any America named Nation, but it would be too un-natural to name it USA so leave it as it is.
    Another problem is the the young history of the country, it's just 230 years old and many people think USA is too young to be included but why? Why does the age of a country play a role, imo add Soviet Union if you wan't, i don't care.
    The last problem is it's population, it dosn't have any unique population, people think it's too mixed. Well than why than adding Rome? IIRC the latin population wasn't so big in percentage, other regions ( ex: egypt, greece) had a large, if not a larger population than latin.

And In the End, Civ is just a Game.

3. Franks

Franks Warlord

Aztecs were in North America (Mexico), Mayas were in North/Central America (South of Mexico, Guatemala, etc) and Incas were in South America (Colombia, Argentina, etc) ... Correct me if I'm wrong

4. deo

deo Emperor

You'r not wrong but Mayans and Aztecs count more like Middle Amercian Civs than North American.

5. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Unless you live in the USA. We call our country America most of the time, not the full name, and we nearly always call ourselves Americans.

6. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I'm from the US, but I wouldn't be upset at all if they wre removed, for instance, and replaced with the Ottomans or potentially other CIVs.

However, given the largest buying market is the US, I would have included them in designing the game. In my mind, they aren't a gret choice, but they aren't bad either. We haven't been around that long a period, but have had substantial influence for a while. In CIV terms, there are more 'turns' aassociated with later periods wher the US had a powerful influence.

We can make a similar case for the Mongols, whose period in the light was realtively short but its impact over the period was substantial. In addition, people ike the Mongols can be associated with other nomadic tribes fromt he steppe, who in combination were clearly very influencial.

Many of the CIV's int he game have been around for a long trime, but their period as dominant powers were smaller.

Breunor

7. Screw Flanders

Screw Flanders Chieftain

Even though the US is only 230 years old it has had enough of an impact on world affairs that it merits inclusion. 500 years from now, exist or not, agree with it or not the name will still be discussed, at least in history class (or whatever strange thing passes for such 500 years from now).

Part of what makes it unique is the mixing of peoples--it has never been done to this degree and the result is a unique culture (that not everyone likes I know) but unique nonetheless.

Some of us do know there are things elsewhere that equal or surpass things found in the states (wonder wise) but the company that makes it is american and therefore markets the game to similar people.

The Aztecs do not influence our culture in america at all, neither do the mayans/incans, unless you count indirectly from mexico, so there is no other group to represent america in the game, and IMO it is definitely more appropriate than using native americans (we get along now, but jesus in the past umm we did try to annihilate them, which was not cool).

8. Yooka

Yooka Chieftain

With all due respect, it's interesting to hear you say that after the whole Navy SEAL thread. I guess somethings just get under people's skins more. :)

Anyway, I think what would solve the problem is if cities could secede and form their own AI nations. But that would be a nightmare to program, and while we would solve this little issue (and those like it), I'm not sure the gain would be worth the effort.

9. panzerboy

panzerboy Chieftain

The one thing that all the other Civs have and the USA does not is language! To be a bonafide Civilization you have to have a distinct, unique language. Americans speak the Queens english, and everyone else speaks, well, you know....german, French, Greek, Russian ect.....

thats my two cents y'all,

Panzerboy

10. Franks

Franks Warlord

I just checked out in a encyclopedia to be sure. The Aztecs were in the center of Mexico and the major Mayan cities were also in Mexico (in the Yucatán peninsula). The rest of the Mayan land was in Guatemala, Belize, western Honduras and El Salvador, which are Central American nations

11. homeyg

homeyg Deity

Ummm, no. :rolleyes:

12. Black Guard

Black Guard Chieftain

I see what you mean by taking them out, but then the producers are American, It is mainly sold in America, so they would have to put themselves in.

13. spankey

spankey Peachtree Warrior

I don't even see what the OP means. As it has been said repeatedly in this forum and in this thread--very few civs were around in 4000 bc. If you want realistic civs in their respective time periods, then play a scenario or mod that is set up for it.

14. CVDon

CVDon Warlord

I have been reading these forums long enough to expect someone to point out that this city was here and that city was there, and why weren't the Maya included, blah blah blah. Sure enough ...

[edit to remove US can't build USMC but Japan can rant. It's pointless.]

15. Orca

Orca Warlord

Tech advances and Civics choices have nothing to do with America in the game or not.

Note that many people here arent native English/American speakers which makes spelling or grammatical flaws unavoidable sometimes.

It isnt ! Its like i would say 'The Limes' is known to everyone in the World - do you know it ? Do you think every American knows it ?

It would be nice if some of you guys realize that America/US isnt the only place on this world !

16. Indiana

Indiana Chieftain

I agree.

If people would like a more "historical" game, I would suggest "Hearts of Iron 1 or 2". A fantastic strategy game from about 1936 to 1948.

17. Nilrim

Nilrim Warlord

The problem is where do you draw the 'date line' if you only want to include ancient Civs. Even American Indians were late comers compared to many earlyer Civs. If you start limiting Civs to when they came onto the scene or that they had a connection to an earlyer Civ then you might be playing a single civ game, how fun would that be?

18. csrjjsmp

csrjjsmp Chieftain

If they're not, they should be. Not to mention Chichen Itza is in the Americas....

19. g.neuman

g.neuman Far Out Space Nut

I'm an American, and something of an uber-patriotic one. America deserves to be included because of the huge impact our nation has had on world events, even if only for the last 225 years. And as others have pointed out, how long a nation has existed is a poor yard stick for inclusion in the game; only two or three of the Civ IV civilizations have actually been around since 4000 BC. Many, like France, Germany, Russia, and Spain are only a couple centuries older than the US.

All that said, I generally play custom games and exclude civs younger than 1000 years. I simply prefer an "ancient" feel to my gameplay. As a matter of fact, I'm working on a Worldbuilder scenario right now that has all ancient civs (large map, alternate Earth continents).

I think it's acutally pronounced Croatoan (Crow-ah-toe-an), and yes, we do know all about your little enclave. We hear you guys have oil, beer, and women, so Marines are massing on your border to "correct the surveying error" as we speak.

:ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

G

20. Tavenier

Tavenier King

Yes, it is strange to play with the Americans in, say, 1000 BC, but no more stranger then inventing electricity with Caesar.

Although I totally disagree with some comments made here about Germany and other civs. Germania is very old. There have been Germans living in Northern Europe since milleniums. There haven't been living too many white, black or Asian Americans in Northern America. Germania existed as a province of Rome, as the Holy Roman Empire, as loose states in several centuries and since 1871 (and NOT 1870) as the Second Reich. It is a very weak comment to exclude a civ because it doesn't exist today, or hardly exist. I think one of the Civs everybody misses are the Ottomans. They don't exist anymore either.

Americans should be in, even if they 'only' played a major role for about 100 years. In 1900 the USA was already the strongest country in the world, only they did not mirror that in military force. They had a smaller army then Belgium, for example. The production capacity at that time was enough to win any war against any single country.

And of course, The Netherlands should be in.... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.