Not open for further replies.

Karl Townsend

Prince
should america be in the game
cause they came form britsh towns in america and revolted
they were not born in 4000 bc
there revolution was in 1600ad

what im saying is that america came to power though the britsh civ
so should the us be in the game as a starting civ?

ps how do i upload my an avatar cause this one is crap

McDonald's brand is in 122 countries around the world. Thirty thousand locations serve 51 million customers each day.

Yes, the US should be in the game. They were not born in 4000 bc, but neither were the Romans, the Greeks, the English, or most of the other civilizations. It would be extremely awkward to be in modern times with no modern powers.

America's sphere of influence is almost all of the world. There's nothing wrong with them being included.

'1600ad'??? Hmmm...

Let's ditch Germany, too, as it didn't exist until the 19th century. Oh, and Persia doesn't exist anymore, so you could only play that country until modern times. Spain and France didn't exist for at least the first 5000 years of the game... etc, etc...:)

Yes the US should be in the game!!!!! If you don't want to play a game with them in, then use custom game and select the civs you do want!

It's the youngest civ in game, but leaving them out would feel much more awkward than the current situation...

The United States of America is a young off shoot of England, however, in 4000 BC there were several civilizations in North, Central, and South America. Consider the Aztec to be South America, the Inca to be Central America, and the "Americans" to be North America. (Spare me the geographic nit picking please ... it's a GAME)

It would be better if they included Powhattan as an American leader representing Early North America, Washington for Transitional North America, and Roosevelt for Late North America.

So ... Yes ... America should be in the game.

Just count the Modern Great wonders, tech advances, and Civics choices that would be left out if America was'nt in the game. That should answer your question.

Two observations

1) most people buying / playing this game are probably American so leaving them out wouldn't be the smartest marketing idea I have ever seen
2) playing against the Americans means you can destroy them (or not) - its your decision!

Edit: Capitalised - sorry, no disrespect intended, just use to word capitalising those things

I know forums are informal places, but it is very bad manners not to capitalize words like America, England, American, British, that sort of thing. It's hard to know sometimes if people are being derogatory, indifferent, or ignorant. Spelling and grammar errors are easy to overlook, but this is a matter of respect and is more important.

3) The company making the game is American

THARN said:
Just count the Modern Great wonders, tech advances, and Civics choices that would be left out if America was'nt in the game.

Engaging troll mode....

Moderator Action: Troll mode deleted....
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Troll mode ended...although I could go on.

(There was no part of this that wasn't fun!)

Reg Pither said:
'1600ad'??? Hmmm...

Yes, just as the OP said -- John Smith and Christopher Newport invented the time-travelling sailing vessel, and the USA achieved independence seven years before the first successful English colony in the New World was founded. :-D Don't they teach you kids history these days?

to the OP: Of course America should be in the game. It's a GAME, capisce? Fun and all that? :)

Meffy said:
Yes, just as the OP said -- John Smith and Christopher Newport invented the time-travelling sailing vessel, and the USA achieved independence seven years before the first successful English colony was founded. :-D Don't they teach you kids history these days?

Only an american would not know the date of his own country's independance

Karl Townsend said:

Odd that noone has pointed out that it was in 1776, the revolution. Not succesful until about 5 years later too...

Germany was united in 1870, making it, as a united nation, younger than the states. Infact, considering that Germany spent the years between 1945-1989 divided, you could make a case for it being even younger as a nation!!!

"Only an american would not know the date of his own country's independance"

Dammit you beat me to it:p

Karl Townsend said:

Already covered well by those above. :)
Karl Townsend said:
Didn't you read the Forum Rules like you were supposed to when you registered? ;)
If you have 30 posts AND have registered for 30 days, you can give yourself a custom title and a custom non-animated avatar. The dimension limit of custom avatars is 70x70 pixels and size limit is 4 KB. You can change your title or avatar in your User CP.

MattJek said:
Only an american would not know the date of his own country's independance

Fortunately I'm a Croatanian. My little territory got left out of the United States due to a surveying error -- doesn't show on any maps, and unless you belong, you generally "can't get there from here." (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Croatan is very near the site of the first UNsuccessful English colony in the New World, Roanoke Island. Those who know the story of the Lost Colony will understand Croatan.

I am more concerned about Wonders like Pentagon, Broadway, Scotland Yard, West Point and so on. There are much more impressive achievements in the non-Euroamerican world today, but since most euro-american consumers don't know about them, they were not included.

but since most euro-american consumers don't know about them, they were not included.

Yes, because I'm sure so many "euro-americans" are familiar with the Angkor Wat, Chichen Itza, Hagia Sophia and the like.

Kamamura said:
I am more concerned about Wonders like Pentagon, Broadway, Scotland Yard, West Point and so on. There are much more impressive achievements in the non-Euroamerican world today, but since most euro-american consumers don't know about them, they were not included.

Yes. It is a game. Designed by Americans (at least by location), predominatantly marketed to Euro-Americans (culturally skewed that way anyway). Most of the target consumers know and understand the achievements named above. West Point is a fine institution know the world over (I am a grad ;) ), but one can easily substitute St Cyr or Sandhurst and still be on target with its marketed audience. I am not sure if the military academy of Djibouti would have the same significance to its target audience. Look at where the game's revenues are coming from--as a public company, that is where they should design the game to. It is a game. Not real life. Not a quest to repeat world history or be a substitute for real history taught in schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom