1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should there be more random events in Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Westwall, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

This is exactly how I'd like to see it implemented. As long as the potential risks were made clear, events of this nature would make for some interesting choices that would add real colour to the game world.

2. bbbt

bbbt Deity

They already have semi-random events called 'barbarians'.

I agree that completely random events are a big thumbs down from me. I.e. a 'natural disaster' that appears randomly and say damages some districts, so then you have to spend some time repairing the districts. No thanks, adds nothing interesting to gameplay.

A plague mechanic that appears and spreads through trade routes and open borders and you have to work with other civs to quarantine it and stop it from spreading - something like that could be more interesting. I'm sure Ed Beach has played pandemic ;)

One positive about random events is they could be used on single-player to make higher difficulties more challenging - i.e. instead of just boosting the AI's bonuses, the human player could have higher chances of negative events on higher levels. I think that still might be more annoying than fun for a lot of people though.

Morningcalm likes this.
  3. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

yes that would be great, super idear

4. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

there shoudl be random events. any modern strategy game worth its name should have random events. i do not understand peoples complaints regarding them. it shoudl be built into the game itself, with no option to turn it off.

honestly, paradox games are far, far, better for including them, and civ4 still beats out 5 and 6, for including them.