• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Sim City 4 tips

You need to run the city for a year.

Not sure about the CTDs, the new networks can't be dragged like the standard ones. A fault of the game engine.

You have to download a tram station.
Have you checked the mod's documentation?

Good to know, I'll fool around with it for a little more.

I don't mind individual placement of the new networks. I'll survive so long as the system stabilizes. My question is, though, do you directly place tram-on-roads or do you lay down a road, and then place tram-on-roads on top of it? I tend to get a CTD if I do the former, so I'll have to stick to the latter, even if it's more expensive.

I'll look around for the tram station, it might be already installed and I just haven't seen it yet. I can't imagine they would put the tram lines in but not a station.

On the original starting map are the large terrain squares the largest possible or can you get bigger build areas in mods? And is there any mods etc that are worth downloading? I'm a bit put off the mod above if it causes CTDs as I often forget to save.

On the original starting map are the large terrain squares the largest possible or can you get bigger build areas in mods? And is there any mods etc that are worth downloading? I'm a bit put off the mod above if it causes CTDs as I often forget to save.
SC4 is already very very CTD prone, the NAM mod is actually very stable.

You can download maps that are all large city squares.

SC4 is already very very CTD prone, the NAM mod is actually very stable.

You can also get the Simcity 4 Region and Configuration Creator (SCRACC), which enables you to easily design maps for importing into Simcity 4 as well as set the configuration of the cities (large or small cities arranged however you like).

On the original starting map are the large terrain squares the largest possible or can you get bigger build areas in mods?.

Indeed. You have 1x1 squares, 2x2 squares, and 4x4 squares. Sounds like you used a 4x4. Pity, would've been epic if that was just a small city...

...I wonder what the largest city ever made numbered? :confused:

Waste of time. :p You can just edit the region's bitmap file (in the SimCity 4 folders) in Paint and add as many squares as you like. You just have to match the colors and make sure all tiles are 1x1, 2x2, or 4x4 for small, medium and large cities, respectively.

I figure while I've got some real fans here, I should ask what other mods are good for downloading and installing--I want to add some cool but realistic-looking buildings or tilesets. At some point, I downloaded some buildings that could be built in commercial or industrial zones but they didn't have information for jobs, etc. loaded so they were just "empty".

Any recommendations or fan-favorites?

I myself am a fan of the "Functional Landmarks" mod - it makes it so landmarks provide jobs. The smallest landmarks give only say, 20 jobs, but the Empire State Building can give about 8,000!

Of course, this sucks demand dry as if it had developed on its own, so, make sure you can afford it in terms of demand as much as money.

The mod itself only works with official landmarks - those included in the game and those that can be downloaded at the official site.

The ReadMe has full details and is available with the file.

I figure while I've got some real fans here, I should ask what other mods are good for downloading and installing--I want to add some cool but realistic-looking buildings or tilesets. At some point, I downloaded some buildings that could be built in commercial or industrial zones but they didn't have information for jobs, etc. loaded so they were just "empty".

Any recommendations or fan-favorites?
There are many (lots and lots) of awesome functional buildings on Simtropolis and SC4 Devotion. Some mods I use. An Industry 4x mod that give 4x jobs, right now only 5-10 jobs on average is a little small. There are some mods that fix other annoying bugs, sadly I can't remember what they are called right now. You should ask at Simtropolis, someone can point it out.

There are many (lots and lots) of awesome functional buildings on Simtropolis and SC4 Devotion. Some mods I use. An Industry 4x mod that give 4x jobs, right now only 5-10 jobs on average is a little small. There are some mods that fix other annoying bugs, sadly I can't remember what they are called right now. You should ask at Simtropolis, someone can point it out.

I personally just think it's sad that the fanbase has to add realism and logic into a game designed by a gigantic gaming company.

Though, many of the mods are awesome either way!

Some mods give you reward buildings you plop down that are natured themed. They give money because sometimes you don't want to build a massive city, just a small area with road running through it between two or more large city centers. (Would be very useful if I did a San Andreas map...)

You can find a mod for just about anything, really. There's a "New York" mod, where you are given a TON of landmarks from NYC, to give your metro the feel of one of the most well-known cities on Earth.

I personally just think it's sad that the fanbase has to add realism and logic into a game designed by a gigantic gaming company.
All the big game companies suck, with EA being the worst. No innovation and EA just sitting on SC4. SC4 is actually a quite broken game, the traffic doesn't work properly (with out NAM), numerous CTDs because of poor exception handling and so on. Yet it still is the greatest urban city builder ever!:D Imagine how awesome a proper patch or expansion would be. Yet EA gives us crap like Societies.

Enough with my rant, there is some really great stuff you can get off the Stex at Simtrop.

I myself am a fan of the "Functional Landmarks" mod - it makes it so landmarks provide jobs. The smallest landmarks give only say, 20 jobs, but the Empire State Building can give about 8,000!
I like to plop a building with that many jobs down, then add lots of residential zones.

All the big game companies suck, with EA being the worst. No innovation and EA just sitting on SC4. SC4 is actually a quite broken game, the traffic doesn't work properly (with out NAM), numerous CTDs because of poor exception handling and so on. Yet it still is the greatest urban city builder ever!:D Imagine how awesome a proper patch or expansion would be. Yet EA gives us crap like Societies.

Enough with my rant, there is some really great stuff you can get off the Stex at Simtrop.

I like to plop a building with that many jobs down, then add lots of residential zones.
EA pissed on us and wasn't even nice enough to call it rain

Top Bottom