Simple questions, simple answers

You say that after playing one game? I really hope this isn't true or Liberty is a dead tree.

By the way, in every lets play I've seen so far, tech costs increased by 3% for each city (not 5%). Maybe different game settings?

I did play with Liberty, but you have to be careful, if you expand too quickly you are going to struggle a lot. There's next to no income until you get that first trade route rolling.

Might be due to game speed. On standard it's 5%.

How many additional tiles Shoshone gets when settling new cities?

They get 8 additional tiles.

Huhn: Both tooltips and XML say 5%. If you're getting 3, then either it's something in the settings or Firaxis' programmers made a whoopsie. Also, expanding in the early game is pretty hard. Just removing the AI ATMs makes financing a bunch of settler purchases very difficult, and hard-building them before any of your cities can turn into a production powerhouse can stymie your growth significantly. My guess is that letting two or three cities build up a bit before going land-grabbing would be the best way to manage your spread, but I'm hardly an authority on optimizing empires.

PolaBear: It's pretty hard to go back to America after playing as the Shoshone. Eight tiles every city with zero investment is amazing compared to the half-price part of Manifest Destiny. America's sight increase is good all game long, but my primary use for it is in the early-game scouting, and Pathfinders are just so much better than normal scouts that they still "win" the early scouting phase handily. The fact that the game seems to stretch on, especially in the later phases, does give me hope that the B-17 might turn into a two-ton monster of a unit in the more modern eras, since its promotions make it a royal pain to intercept. It's one of those things where we'll have to see if everyone is still getting their wins in the renaissance/industrial eras.

Ogrelord: Thanks for summing up the paragraph for me. I figured that out after a few minutes of staring blankly at my screen, but I found it notable specifically because I didn't recall reading about that in any of the preview stuff. Oops.

Are Polders for the Dutch still at Guilds? It was noticed that they were gone from the tech tree on Arioch's site.

Tinker: Civilopedia still lists polders as requiring guilds.

PP: I haven't gotten a reformation belief yet, so I can't say. Sorry.

Thanks, and another question: what happens to Feitoras if city-states are taken (which should happen pretty frequently with Venice)?

Whats the point of roads? If trade routes give the gold and roads cost 1 gold a tile whats the point? Also money seems super low.

Whats the point of roads? If trade routes give the gold and roads cost 1 gold a tile whats the point? Also money seems super low.

You still get gold for "city connections". Also, roads help units travel faster, so the strategic element remains.

You still get gold for "city connections". Also, roads help units travel faster, so the strategic element remains.

Rather than travel faster, they extend the maximum length of a trade route. So the Caravan can go to cities further away and get more benefits.

Rather than travel faster, they extend the maximum length of a trade route. So the Caravan can go to cities further away and get more benefits.

They do that too, but I was talking about military units.

So Trade routes give gold based on how much gold the two cities make etc. etc.. Then a road connected between cities does the same old gold connection?

Makes sense. Is there a stoppng to how many caravans u can build? does animal husbandry give u ur first slot? and

how does the increasing of trade route range work with roads exactly? I understand the normal range is 10 hexes so if a road is built is it like two road tiles is a hex?

GK: Like a few others said, the old-style trade routes live on in City Connections, giving you a gold bonus for using roads to link your cities together. You can build as many caravans and cargo ships as you'd like, but you can only have up to 10 trade routes active at any given time (8 from technologies, 2 from wonders, the list is on the first page of the thread). I've heard from several places that roads can exchange the range of your land trade routes, but I can't find anything in the Civilopedia that confirms that. It might be one of those things that we just have to discover through experimentation. I can say that Combustion "extends the range of land trade routes," but again, I don't have any specific information beyond the tooltip in the tech tree.

Tinker: I haven't run into Portugal yet, but from pre-release interviews, the devs said that Feitorias will remain in place, funneling a copy of the luxury resource to Portugal as if the CS had never been taken. No word on if the new owner still gets a copy of the resource, or if they have to destroy the Feitoria and declare war on Portugal to get whatever's beneath it.

You can build as many caravans and cargo ships as you'd like

That's not true, it will not let you build a caravan or cargo ship if all your trade routes are currently in use. No queuing up a caravan to be ready for a new route being available.

You can see one in the Rev3 video review. And they run on four legs like a regular horse.
Thanks! That'll be nasty; fast barbarians (since YouTube always crashes on me I hadn't seen the video yet).

Another question: Are there new mapscripts? (I saw some new names, like Labyrinth, in MadDjinn's video, but it wasn't clear to me whether they were fan-made maps or BNW additions)?

How come I'm not able to use my caravans? 3 of them are in use, but for the remaining three, there are no available routes, even though there are AI cities and city-states on the map that are visible.

How come I'm not able to use my caravans? 3 of them are in use, but for the remaining three, there are no available routes, even though there are AI cities and city-states on the map that are visible.

Technologies unlock trade routes. There are a maximum # that you can have. Also, the cities may be out of range. You can increase range with roads and Caravansaries.

Top Bottom