Size of maps

amboo

Chieftain
From what you have all read are the world maps going to be generally larger, generally smaller or generally the same as the maps from Civ 4. I don't know why, but I get the impression that they are going to be smaller just from the screen shots I have seen for this game.

Then I think you will be pleasantly surprised, based on what I have seen. There have been screen shots of very large maps.

I hope they will be larger. The squares in Civ IV (based on the demographics screen's units for land area) were supposed to be 100 square km each (10 km x 10 km). However, it's already been established that even primitive units like archers can attack units 2 squares away. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen an archer that can shoot for 10km. So, it would make sense for the hexes to represent smaller areas while putting more of them on the map.

I hope they will be larger. The squares in Civ IV (based on the demographics screen's units for land area) were supposed to be 100 square km each (10 km x 10 km). However, it's already been established that even primitive units like archers can attack units 2 squares away. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen an archer that can shoot for 10km. So, it would make sense for the hexes to represent smaller areas while putting more of them on the map.

A longbow is accurate to 200 yards. I sure hope the maps arn't that big.
What you and everyone else needs to do is stop picturing the battles as taking place over terrain 10km wide. Imagine that when you armies clash, what you are seeing is a zoomed in view of the battlefield, not the countryside that it represents when your building your empire there.

Ill just quote myself from the other thread

nah we have seen the full size range on the fully discovered minimap.

Ill show you.

Medium
Spoiler :
That's a fairly decent size Pangea, maybe standard size. And as you can see, its not really early in the game its 620 AD

Huge
Spoiler :
Now for a really big map.

There ya go, evidence of large maps still in Civ5,

It will be interestying to see if Huge maps in Civ5 will make Earth maps even more interesting than before.
With Natural wonders i expect Earth maps to be at least more flavourful.

The total map size is sort of irrelevant though. The question is, how much space will there be between cities, where the fighting happens? From what I've seen, the cities are about the same distance apart as they were in previous civ games, which will make combat with 1UPT and ranged attacks somewhat odd. Not necessarily BAD, just, a little unrealistic.

the improtant thing to remember about city spacing, is that you choose where to put them, with individual tile growth (as opposed to the stages of BFC) and with a maximum city radius of 3 hexes, the optimal coty placement isn't as simple as it is before, you don't have to be a certain number of hexes away from another city for the city to be considered well placed.

I'd actually agree with this, but then not just for the combat discussion you stated. What you're really after is how many options, city and unit management, etc... you are working with in larger versus smaller maps. Tons more units that you HAVE to move 1upt at a time could get tedious. We really don't know enough about the diplomatic system, city-states and so on to tell how much more intricacy and management is involved on larger maps - if you just ignore distant civilizations it may not matter.

A good example on the economic/domestic front is comparing civ3 and civ4. Civ3 had undeniably larger maps, but the corruption system meant that large numbers of cities basically did nothing, you could load up a basic build queue and that's all, where in civ4 with 20 cities you probably still manage production of all of them instead of like 7 or 8. With the whole "empire-wide happiness" and an unknown factor in how cities grow, we don't really know how big the difference between a normal sized empire versus a huge sized empire and its number of cities will be.

So far what I've read/seen seems to have huge maps close to or a little less in tile count compared to civ4. This doesn't really give an indication of how the game plays out though. I am hoping the game works well on large/huge maps and moderately paced gamespeeds. (between 500-1000 turns actually played on a decent game)

Top Bottom