Slow Game Play

stfoskey12

Emperor of Foskania
I'm finding that by midway through the ancient era I get really bogged down. I'm playing a game and it's 545 BC, I have eleven cities, and most of them can produce a building/unit in one turn. So each turn I have to select about eight new buildings or units to build. It gets really time consuming and boring. Is there a way to automate the process or make it go faster?
Also, all of the civs, myself included, are really lagging technologically. I don't think anyone's researched writing, and I think I just finished lead working a few turns ago. I don't remember my game speed, but at this stage of the game each turn is five years.

What version, difficulty, and speed are you playing on? You can check the game speed in one of the tabs of either the Victory Conditions or Statistics screens, I forget which.

As for selections, keep in mind that you can queue things up, and in fact because of Multiple Production in C2C you may be losing significant amounts of potential production if you don't do so. Hold Shift when clicking a production choice to add it to the end of the city's queue, or Control to add it to the top of the queue. Holding Alt while clicking a unit to produce adds it to the queue (can be combined with Shift or Control) as a repeating job, so that each time it's completed it will be put back at the bottom of the queue. There's also a custom build queues/lists feature included in C2C where you can predefine sets of buildings or units as a single selection, but it takes some setting up. It can save time when setting up build queues in new cities, for example, though, in that once it's set up you can just tell a new city to "build list A", and leave it alone until it's done.

Also, all of the civs, myself included, are really lagging technologically.
um... ? If ALL civs are lagging, isn't that just a redefined rate of tech improvement across the board?

I'm finding that by midway through the ancient era I get really bogged down. I'm playing a game and it's 545 BC, I have eleven cities, and most of them can produce a building/unit in one turn. So each turn I have to select about eight new buildings or units to build. It gets really time consuming and boring. Is there a way to automate the process or make it go faster?
Also, all of the civs, myself included, are really lagging technologically. I don't think anyone's researched writing, and I think I just finished lead working a few turns ago. I don't remember my game speed, but at this stage of the game each turn is five years.

If you are playing a current SVN version then Research, Gold, etc have all been re balanced. Flying thru the C2C at Deity is not as easy as it used to be. Infact a borderline Deity player may find that the level they should be playing at is Emperor. 2 levels down from where they played for the Official v36 release.

So you will have to adjust your play.

But again as always the more details you provide the better we the Team can help you.

Happy C2C'ing until then. :)

JosEPh

What version, difficulty, and speed are you playing on? You can check the game speed in one of the tabs of either the Victory Conditions or Statistics screens, I forget which.

As for selections, keep in mind that you can queue things up, and in fact because of Multiple Production in C2C you may be losing significant amounts of potential production if you don't do so. Hold Shift when clicking a production choice to add it to the end of the city's queue, or Control to add it to the top of the queue. Holding Alt while clicking a unit to produce adds it to the queue (can be combined with Shift or Control) as a repeating job, so that each time it's completed it will be put back at the bottom of the queue. There's also a custom build queues/lists feature included in C2C where you can predefine sets of buildings or units as a single selection, but it takes some setting up. It can save time when setting up build queues in new cities, for example, though, in that once it's set up you can just tell a new city to "build list A", and leave it alone until it's done.

Thanks for the info. I think it was v35, warlord, and epic or marathon time speed. The game takes five minutes to start and I'm too lazy to wait five minutes to find out for sure.

um... ? If ALL civs are lagging, isn't that just a redefined rate of tech improvement across the board?

I want my tech research to be similar to or faster to the technological progress in the real world. It doesn't really matter if everyone is slowed, I just like it to line up with the calendar.

If you are playing a current SVN version then Research, Gold, etc have all been re balanced. Flying thru the C2C at Deity is not as easy as it used to be. Infact a borderline Deity player may find that the level they should be playing at is Emperor. 2 levels down from where they played for the Official v36 release.

So you will have to adjust your play.

But again as always the more details you provide the better we the Team can help you.

Happy C2C'ing until then. :)

JosEPh

I'm playing on warlord because I like to play more casually. I played BtS on noble but I've only played one game of that in the past two years. I just do Civ 5 and C2C now.

I want my tech research to be similar to or faster to the technological progress in the real world. It doesn't really matter if everyone is slowed, I just like it to line up with the calendar.
While it's almost impossible to center the dates to average game tech progression, particularly given how many options and game settings there are, you are in luck. Joseph has been working tirelessly to try to accomplish a fair measure of accurate to date game progression in general. While it will never suit all, the fact that he's trying will make our next version much closer to the goal.

What I generally do to keep a city occupied: Sort the building options through a filter if the city needs something special like food or gold or culture or whatever and then just add every building that does that. I tend to not make the list too long because I want to occasionally check that crime and disease are under control. If I'm really lazy I just keep adding buildings to the queue until I have to scroll the line-up because it is now crowded with the buildings I don't want to build. Another tip, in the BUG-settings set next in queue as a matter of an ordinary mouseclick instead of a shift-click and life gets so much easier. If a city is already well developed I just set it on build research.

The BUG-settings is a small green almost triangular icon, in the upper left corner of the game screen. I think if you are playing an older version of the mod it might be above the minimap in lower right corner. I never remember at which tab the option is offered at in there, there's a dozen or so pages listing various settings. I think at the general tab or the map tab or maybe the city screen tab, it's been rearranged between versions. It's quite cryptically offered as "inverse shift click" with no explanation what it refers to, and the tooltip text is too tiny for me to read, but it's for building queues.

I'm now at 940 AD and researching banking, so I the calendar mismatch problem is solved. In fact I could be further ahead, but I'm only devoting 70% of my finances to research. I guess that's the benefit of playing on warlord difficulty.

I'm now at 940 AD and researching banking, so I the calendar mismatch problem is solved. In fact I could be further ahead, but I'm only devoting 70% of my finances to research. I guess that's the benefit of playing on warlord difficulty.

You really should be playing on Noble to get a true feel for the AI.

JosEPh

You really should be playing on Noble to get a true feel for the AI.

JosEPh

Well I've already spent maybe 20 hours on this one, and I want to make it to the end. I have multiple hobbies and interests and don't want to devote more than a few hours a week to gaming.

By the Middle Ages I was researching techs too fast, so I entered world builder and set the time 200 years forward. But then it thought I was at turn 0 so that got messed up. I was trying to win a domination victory, but by 1538 AD it was taking 10-20 minutes per turn because I had maybe 30 cities and hundreds of units. Moving them around was an extreme pain. So I just gave up.

Game speed chosen affects research rate. That is why I suggested you play Noble instead. Won't solve all your problems because you create a new set with every Game Set Up Option you use.

Thanks for the info. I think it was v35, warlord, and epic or marathon time speed. The game takes five minutes to start and I'm too lazy to wait five minutes to find out for sure.

And this is key.

JosEPh

Top Bottom