1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow Game Thread

Discussion in 'Team SANCTA' started by Krill, Apr 13, 2009.

1. IamJohn

IamJohn (was)?

And they wonder why they don't have many active people...

2. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

First of all, let me say how proud I am of everyone restraining themselves from starting a flame war in the UN over the glacial pace right now. :clap:
    Go team SANCTA!

Especially since we stand to benefit from the delay, the last thing we want to do is tick off the slow teams.

However - this is getting kinda ridiculous.
    I really hope that this is a unique occurrence due to most of the teams finally knowing most of the other teams... and that things will settle down into more of a rhythm here after the initial scramble for alliances.

If not - I'll draft a rule amendment proposal limiting the allowable pauses for purely diplomatic reasons. We'll vote on this idea internally, then (very respectfully) propose it in the general UN forum.

But for now - let's just wait this out and hope the problem goes away without requiring an amendment to the ruleset.
    We'll know better for the next Civ4 MTDG.

3. Krill

Krill Chieftain

That's kinda why I didn't bother...although I did want to answer HUSchs' comment, but I'm glad atleast Kaleb did.

While I agree wholeheartedly, I can't see that getting a majority vote.

This isn't a unique occurance though. Cavs have paused twice because of purely diplomatic reasons, as have Saturn. That can't be unique purely by definition.

It's a side effect of having a pause rule; when it's use is legitimised, everyone will push the rule to its' limit.

4. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

:thanx: Krill!

I posted a very gentle response in the UN turn-discussion thread.
    Trying to slowly lay the groundwork for what might be an eventual rule update.

That, and as Memphus pointed out to me in an IM chat, HUSch was just plain wrong. lol

5. Krill

Krill Chieftain

You're welcome. :)

BTW, you are possibly more manipulative than I am G_W.

Take that anyway you will BTW ;). But I did think you did the right thing.

Anyone here read Neil Gaiman?

6. Krill

Krill Chieftain

*Bump*

The really annoying thing about this pause is it's solely down the the sheer crapness of MS as a team; they waited 18 hours to log into the game, and then they ask for a pause. If they even bothered to log in at the start of their turn then they wouldn't make the rest of us wait; that is morally bankrupt IMO. It's also annoying that when the rest of the teams start moving at a decent pace they are trying to slow it down...

I would favour voting down the pause if they the game is paused for 24 hours, and explaining the above in "nicer" language. We've done 8 turns so far this month. We really should be aiming for at least a turn every 3 days right now, including pauses.

I think any pause rules used in the future should be tied to how long you hold onto the save in the normal state of play. Play a save in 23 hours when you have 24 = no pause time. Play the save in 3 ours out of 24, save x amount for pauses of the next 10 turns. That'd stop teams from being purposely lazy.

7. Memphus

Memphus Chieftain

:agree:

we managed to do our diplo without pausing.... I wish MS was closer. Sowe could help them play faster :evil:

8. Krill

Krill Chieftain

*Bump*

Can someone who is not seen as biased as me or memphus please for the love of god draft G_Ws rule amendment? This is starting to get rediculous...

9. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Huh, which draft?

10. Krill

Krill Chieftain

I mean, can someone write it.

Personally I think that a pause shouldn't be any longer than 24 hours. FFS, not like we've needed a pause and look what we've done.

11. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

what is this game you are playing in this thread? I cannot wait until you get to Cheam! I lovely little town with a great Toby Carvery.

12. Krill

Krill Chieftain

At last, I've been stuck waiting to go to Highbury for more than a month.

13. ruff_hi

Oh - so it is a game with rules but the game is all about discovering the rules. I wonder if I am allowed to go to Pelham? I'm thinking NO.

14. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Yes, I believe that would be against the Wadham-Walsh rules constituted during the '98 Autumn internationals against hoping.

15. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I only have 1/2 an hour but wanted to move before Ruff Hi could figure out where the right move is and hit Gipsy Hill in zone 3 picking up 2 yellow tokens.

16. ruff_hi

Hmmn - I suppose Pigalle is out for the same reason. Ok, I have always had a soft spot for Rye and the clock tower there.

17. Whomp

It appears you've moved this game internationally...I suppose my move to Heathrow #3 was the trick. Let's move the station back to Europe and play Mairie d'Issy and see if someone can use the Chunnel to bring this back to London somehow.

18. Krill

Krill Chieftain

The correct play to please Whomp would be Kings Cross St. Pancras then.

19. Whomp

Well I'm going to hit Green Park on the Picadilly line then since my girlfriend will be staying nearby in a couple weeks.

20. ruff_hi

my friend here wants to go to Piccadilly Circus to see the Statue of Eros. Me - I'm still looking for Bacchus.