[Small Mafia] The Tomb

Please note these are only the start abilities. They changed, and from the ORB, some changed in strength too.

Spoiler Role PMs :

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Dreadnought.

You are an Archaeologist. You came here to explore one of the last unknowns, where it is rumoured that many a ruler has stored their most valuable possessions. None have since been found, but when you heard of this attempt, with many of the world’s top archaeologists going, how could you resist? Who knows, maybe you will find what everyone else has failed to find. Putting your name down in history. But you aren’t the only ones here looking. Maybe some have even joined your group, to claim it for themselves.

You win when all the threats to your safety are removed from the group.

Spoiler :
You are a townie, you win when all the mafia are dead.

You are the Role Blocker. Every day, you can PM the name of a player you wish to block. They will be unable to use their secondary during either the day or the night phase. This does not block primary abilities, such as the mafia kill. If they attempted to use their ability, they will be told that they were blocked, and you will be told it was successful. If they do not, they will not know they were blocked, and you will be told you were unsuccessful.

Good Luck.

I think this role could of been overpowered, as it was able to be used every phase (but wasn't). However it doesn't block mafia kills, or the 2 other primary abilities.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, BigTin.

You are an Archaeologist. You came here to explore one of the last unknowns, where it is rumoured that many a ruler has stored their most valuable possessions. None have since been found, but when you heard of this attempt, with many of the world’s top archaeologists going, how could you resist? Who knows, maybe you will find what everyone else has failed to find. Putting your name down in history. But you aren’t the only ones here looking. Maybe some have even joined your group, to claim it for themselves.

Spoiler :

You are the Briber. At any point during the day, you may PM me any player's name, and who you want them to vote for. Can be used every round, and the vote change will not be shown in the tally.

Good Luck.

This was used well, at the right times. One of the main reasons behind kennigit's death (and the reason why the tally was so wrong).

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, choxorn.

You are a Government Official, your 3 fellow Officials are Kennigit, Arakhor, and SamSniped. The government has known for this tomb for years, and of its secrets. And they want it to remain secret, which is why you are here. No official trip has ever been sent, but a great number have been, none have returned. Your group has been sent undercover to ensure that no one finds what is hidden here, with the hope that the 4 of you will survive, in order to provide proof for the lie of what lies there. As much, you are highly armed, and between you, you have the government backing to kill 1 person a night.

You win when no one else is alive, or they cannot stop you killing them all.

Spoiler :
You are mafia, you win when everyone else is dead. 1 of you can attempt to kill a player every night.

You are the Inverter. Every day you may PM me a Player's name. Their vote in the lynch is inverted, becoming negative what it would otherwise be.

Good Luck.

Another vote changing ability, nothing much to say.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Kennigit.

You are a Government Official, your 3 fellow Officials are choxorn, Arakhor, and SamSniped. The government has known for this tomb for years, and of its secrets. And they want it to remain secret, which is why you are here. No official trip has ever been sent, but a great number have been, none have returned. Your group has been sent undercover to ensure that no one finds what is hidden here, with the hope that the 4 of you will survive, in order to provide proof for the lie of what lies there. As much, you are highly armed, and between you, you have the government backing to kill 1 person a night.

Spoiler :
You are mafia, you win when everyone else is dead. 1 of you can attempt to kill a player every night.

You are one who enjoys death. Your vote is worth 0, plus 0.5 for every dead player. This is passive, and I will provide the worth of your vote on request.

Good Luck.

My favourite ability. Very powerful in the late game, possibly overpowered.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Verarde.

Spoiler :

You are the Ghost. After you die, you may still vote, via PM to me. But you may not take part in the thread, or PMs/QTs. Your vote will count as 2 once dead.

Good Luck.

A useful lategame ability. Possibly overpowered.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, MartinLuther.

You are the Physician. A key part of any trip underground, as it is well known that all tombs contain many traps. You come prepared to treat any and all injuries that are expected to occur, and more. But you are only human, so you can’t stop every one from dieing…

You win when all the threats to your safety are removed, and with the archaeologists.

Spoiler :
You are the doctor, and win with the townies. During the day phase, you may PM me the name of any living player. You may not target any player more than once every 3 rounds. During the round, 1 attempt to kill them will fail (lynch is excluded).

You are the Liar. Your vote counts as 0, and at random, another player's vote is removed from who you voted for. This is passive, and will not be shown in the tally.

Good Luck.

Didn't really have long to play, but another vote changing ability. Also had the doctor role, but with the limit to ensure it couldn't cause a broken follow the cop game. Also should of been limited to one use every 2 rounds (IMO).

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, topsecret.

Spoiler :

You are the Game Changer. At any point during the day, you may PM me to activate your ability. The player who is lynched will not be the person with the highest votes, but the person with the lowest. Can only be used once.

Good Luck.

The ability that caused chaos. Not exactly what I expected to happen while designing it, and with an ability like this, can unbalance a game fairly easily.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Turquoiside.

You are the Lieutenant. The army has long been suspicious of what has happened here, with many groups having entered the tomb, but never left. They believe that the government has been interfering, and wants the secrets here to never be found. They have sent you in with the group, disguised as an archaeologist, in order to ensure that should something be found, it will not be hidden again. They have assured you of their full support on this mission, to the extent of investigating anyone you deem suspicious.

You win when all the threats to your safety are removed. You win with the archaeologists.

Spoiler :
You are the cop. During the night phase, you may PM me the name of any living player. At the end of the night, I will PM you both their primary and secondary alignment.

You are the CopyCat. At any point during the day, you may PM me the name of 1 player who you want to copy the secondary of. You gain the same secondary as them, they are unaware and unchanged by this.

Good Luck.

Overpowered. Shouldn't of been 1 scan every night, 1 every 2 at most.

In terms of the secondary, was a bit of a lucky draw. As it happened, he gained a used ability, so was worthless.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, BSmith1068.

Spoiler :

You are the Mutater. You can target 1 player, by PMing me their name during the day, and they will be reassigned a new secondary.

Good Luck.

Never used, and given the chance of someone gaining a more power ability after, I can see why in a way. Had potential, for example on DaveShack after he revealed.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Buddhafish.

Spoiler :

You are the Phoenix. You will be reborn 2 rounds after your death, and will receive a new secondary at this point. While you are dead, you must follow the rules of the dead. This is passive, and you will be revealed in thread as Phoenix, with no primary given.

Good Luck.

IMO, this was not overpowered (compared with Arakhor's out and out bullet proof). Maybe it should of been made clearer in the update that something was different, but I didn't feel that was needed with no primary revealed.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Arakhor.

You are a Government Official, your 3 fellow Officials are choxorn, Kennigit, and SamSniped. The government has known for this tomb for years, and of its secrets. And they want it to remain secret, which is why you are here. No official trip has ever been sent, but a great number have been, none have returned. Your group has been sent undercover to ensure that no one finds what is hidden here, with the hope that the 4 of you will survive, in order to provide proof for the lie of what lies there. As much, you are highly armed, and between you, you have the government backing to kill 1 person a night.

Spoiler :

You are Bulletproof. Passive ability, and you will be told once it is used. Simply means that you take 2 attempts to kill, will be applied after all other protections.

Good Luck.

Speaking of which. IMO this (and other passive abilities) should of been role block immune. Aside from that, useful.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, JoanK.

Spoiler :

You are the Clumsy killer. During the night phase, by PM, you can send me the name of who you would like to kill. You will attempt to kill them, however you will die in the process. This may not be used night 1.

Good Luck.

The suicidal role. Not the best role to be given, but again, had its uses, mainly in endgame when the mafia controled the lynch.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, NinjaCow64.

Spoiler :

You are the Vigilante. Every night, you can PM me the name of a player you wish to kill. You have a 50% chance of success.

Good Luck.

Weaker than normal vig. I was debating between 100% success and only once every 2 nights, or x-shot, but settled on a % chance of success.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, SouthernKing.

Spoiler :

You are Vengeful. If you die in the lynch, I will PM you a list of players who voted for you. At any point in the remainder of the game, you may PM me and kill 1 of the people on that list. They will die at the end of that phase.

Good Luck.

Vengeful, but more powerful than normal as it had no time limit. I wouldn't say it was overpowered, simply by being worthless if viged or nightkilled.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, Jarrema.

Spoiler :

You are the Grave-Stealer. During the night, you may steal the secondary of a dead player (not including those who die that night), chosen by RNG. Pm me when you wish to activate, you will be able to use your ability starting in the next day phase.

Good Luck.

A bit of a luck based ability, but another one that I liked.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, SamSniped.

You are a Government Official, your 3 fellow Officials are choxorn, Kennigit, and Arakhor. The government has known for this tomb for years, and of its secrets. And they want it to remain secret, which is why you are here. No official trip has ever been sent, but a great number have been, none have returned. Your group has been sent undercover to ensure that no one finds what is hidden here, with the hope that the 4 of you will survive, in order to provide proof for the lie of what lies there. As much, you are highly armed, and between you, you have the government backing to kill 1 person a night.

Spoiler :

You are the Thief. At any point during the night, you may target a player from whom to steal from. At the end of the night, you will have their secondary, and they will have thief.

Good Luck.

Relied on luck quite a lot.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, classical_hero

Spoiler :

You are the Gambler. At any point during the night, you can PM me 2 players names, and 1 of them will receive both the Primary and the Secondary of the other player. You do not learn this information, and you also do not learn who won the gamble. Can only be used once every other round.

Good Luck.

Another detective type role/ability. But one more balanced than a normal one, in that 1) the person with the ability doesn't get the result, and 2) has the potential to reveal townie power roles.

One of my prefered abilities.

Spoiler :

Hello and welcome, DaveShack.

Spoiler :

You are the Witness. During the night, you may PM to watch the events that happen that night. You will see everyone who targeted someone, who they targeted, but not what they did to them. 1 time use.

Good Luck.

Overpowered, because it would almost certainly catch a scum (99% of the time). I was deciding between a tracker and this, and probably should of included some amount of uncertainity, of limited to only discovering certain actions.

Mafia QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/A9pdRZcNVcAT
Dead QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/Vxn8Ybyafwt3

My thoughts on the set up. Looking back at how it played out, the town was overpowered. The scum team made almost no mistakes, and lost. Although some of that was due to some good town play, it was in part due to the setup.

All actions to come.

For a moment, I thought you were going to get away with it.

Never used, and given the chance of someone gaining a more power ability after, I can see why in a way. Had potential, for example on DaveShack after he revealed.

Yeah, I was gearing up to do just that, but was killed.

so bigtin made me vote for myself or something?

good set up, will look through all roles later. certainly caught me off guard when I got lynched in a 1-6 lynch.

choxorn had a good run in the end.

I have to say that I couldn't think what on earth you were doing including an almost-guaranteed scum-catcher.

Day 1:
MartinLuther protected SamSniped.
Nothing major happened with the tally.

Standard Day 1, and Martin's protection stopped after his lynch.

Night 1:
classical_hero targeted JoanK and Jarrema.
NinjaCow64 targeted SamSniped.
Turquoiside scanned BSmith.
DaveShack used his ability.
Mafia killed classical_hero.

Unlucky for the mafia for SamSniped to die. And did make the game a lot harder for them. DaveShack did the right thing, and that allowed another scum to be caught. I think this night alone made the game almost impossible for the scum to win.

Day 2:
choxorn inverted DaveShack's vote.
topsecret used his ability.

As expected, Arakhor got highly pressured, and would of used his bulletproof ability had topsecret not activated his ability. Which in a way, made the whole situation a lot worse for both sides. Not only did the town believe they wasted a lynch, and went to kill topsecret, but Arakhor couldn't claim lynch immune/godfather ability.

Night 2:
NinjaCow64 targeted topsecret.
Dreadnought roleblocked Arakhor.
Turquoiside scanned BigTin.
Mafia killed NinjaCow64.

In this phase, I did slightly change the role block, to being able to activated any point, and lasted for 1 whole day (that day/night, and the next one). That made Arakhor vulnerable, and caused him to die. NinjaCow killing topsecret helped the town more than the mafia, so another bit of bad luck there.

Day 3:
Very boring. As expected.

Night 3:
Jarrema used his ability, and gained the thief ability (orginally SamSniped's).
Turquoiside copied DaveShack's ability, and scanned kennigit.
Mafia killed Dreadnought.

This was again, a little bit unlucky for the mafia. But more a result of me allowing unlimited scans. Turquoiside's secondary changed to a used Witness, so was then useless.

Day 4:
BigTin targeted kennigit to vote for himself.
choxorn inverted Turquoiside's vote.
The ORB was used by both DaveShack and Verarde.

This was a big day in terms of the game. I'm not exactly sure why Turquoiside wanted to pressure BigTin so much, except to ensure his cooperation in lynching kennigit. Huge swing of votes there.

In terms of the ORB:

It was planned to makes its appearance the day after the second mafia had died. Unfortunately, a third had been scanned, which was unfortunate. Basically, for every player that viewed it, I randomed between 1 and 5. Each number correlated to either a large buff, a small buff, no effect, a small nerf, or a large nerf, one of each every time.

DaveShack got a small buff, being able to see alignment of who was targeted. But didn't make it usable again. Verarde got a small nerf, to a 1 vote value after death instead of 2. Unlucky for the town.

Night 4:
Mafia killed BSmith.
Jarrema targeted choxorn.
Turquoiside scanned Verarde.
choxorn viewed the ORB.

Jarrema gained choxorn's inverter ability, and choxorn gained thief. Also, choxorn gained scan immunity from the ORB (was never needed), would of revealed as innocent. Turquoiside scanned the nerfed ability, and BSmith was killed because of what happened the day before.

Day 5:
choxorn and DaveShack viewed the ORB.
Buddhafish's ability activated.

choxorn again got lucky, and gained the ability to scan people for their secondary before deciding whether to steal it from them. DaveShack got no change.

Night 5:
Turquoiside scanned SouthernKing.
choxorn viewed the ORB again.
choxorn scanned, but not steal Turquoisides secondary.
Mafia killed DaveShack.

At this point, the number of unconfirmed townies was falling low. choxorn had no effect from the ORB, and made the obvious choice to not steal Turquoiside's ability. IMO it was leaving it a bit later to kill DaveShack, with the risk of him having regained his ability last day phase.

Day 6:
Very inactive, SouthernKing lynched...which didn't help the town, as he couldn't target a scum with his vengeful, so lucky for the town that he didn't use it.

Night 6:
choxorn scanned Verarde, and didn't steal.
Mafia killed Turquoiside.

The mafia got a bit lucky...although it was almost too late by now, by killing the scanner. Another obvious choice on the not stealing, as when choxorn died, the game was over.

Day 7:
Jarrema inverted choxorn's vote.
BigTin bribed Jarrema's vote to Jarrema.
Upon being reborn, Buddhafish gained Mutator.

It was still a tie, and RNG kept choxorn alive. As for Buddhafish coming back just before the lynch. It didn't make any difference as to whether choxorn won the game or not (as if he had killed Verarde during the night, he would probably of lost the lynch tomorrow 2:1).

Night 7:
choxorn scanned Buddhafish, and stole his ability.
Mafia killed Verarde.

Not too much to say here, although I was surprised by BigTin still living, as choxorn knew of Verarde's ability. choxorn made the right choice to steal, as it gave him a chance to survive tomorrow even if the lynch when against him.

Day 8:
choxorn targeted himself.
Verarde voted for choxorn.

Aside choxorn's highly commendable attempt to save himself (which nearly worked, and would of worked on me), nothing of huge note here.

Thats all I have planned to post, but I welcome any questions, and all feedback.

so bigtin made me vote for myself or something?

good set up, will look through all roles later. certainly caught me off guard when I got lynched in a 1-6 lynch.

choxorn had a good run in the end.

Yeah. One of many abilities that could stop yours.

I have to say that I couldn't think what on earth you were doing including an almost-guaranteed scum-catcher.

I think including it would of been fine, had I not included a scanner at all. I think that would of worked better than removing that ability, with the 4 scum.

My thoughts on the abilities. Aside from the town being overpowered, and being too well informed, I would also say I included too many counter abilities to kennigits. I think there was 4-5 different ways to stop him, and that should of been 3 at most, IMO.

I have to say Turquoiside won the game for the town. Without his PMs to me about coming back (I had forgotten about the game) Kennigit would never have died in that lynch.

Yeah. Kennigit's role was overpowered, but 5 ways to stop an overpowered role is hardly better.

And yes, this game was unbalanced, or at the very least unlucky. Some other possible ways things happened might have changed things, but the way they happened, we were screwed. There was no way for us to get out of a lucky Night 1 kill on Sam, or DaveShack's ability catching Arakhor (aside from topsecret messing up the votes), or BigTin making Kennigit vote for himself. The only possible way I could have won once I failed to convince BigTin of my innocence at the end was to get lucky enough to gain either Arakhor's ability (giving myself bulletproof and letting me win) or Kennigit's (giving me a voting power of 7.5).

If the mafia plays a great game but still has no chance of winning due largely to luck, and the town has abilities like they had in this game, then yes, the game isn't balanced.

Yeah. Kennigit's role was overpowered, but 5 ways to stop an overpowered role is hardly better.

The 5 ways were; mutating it (gives you a different ability back), bribing it, vengeful (same for any scum), vig/climsy killer (again, same for any scum), and the liar (which involves luck, and can be avoided by voting for someone other than the person the liar votes for).

If the mafia plays a great game but still has no chance of winning due largely to luck, and the town has abilities like they had in this game, then yes, the game isn't balanced.

I agree. IMO, the main unbalancing part was the amount of information the town could (and did) get. Aside from that, there was some bad luck, but nothing major.

Well I had fun.

This was a cool game. Unbalanced, but cool. I really loved my role. I was just glad that I used my ability and I got lynched when I did. I didn't vote on the last day because I really wasn't sure Shinto vote for. I didn't want BigTin to be scum and change my vote, so I chose not voting.

Interesting note: This is the first time that I have ever survived and won in a mafia game, as a member of any faction. And this is the first time that I have survived in a game from the beginning to the end.

Not really sure if dying for two days counts for "from beginning to end." :p

Ah, I love being a Vigilante. It's probably my favourite role. I am slightly bummed to get found out so early, but hey.

That was my fault, sorry. I did all the killing until my untimely demise. :)

Day 2:
choxorn inverted DaveShack's vote.
topsecret used his ability.

As expected, Arakhor got highly pressured, and would of used his bulletproof ability had topsecret not activated his ability. Which in a way, made the whole situation a lot worse for both sides. Not only did the town believe they wasted a lynch, and went to kill topsecret, but Arakhor couldn't claim lynch immune/godfather ability.

:hammer2:

My suggestion is not to give me game changing abilities :p

And not to role-block entirely passive abilities. :)

I had fun for the two days. I got a scan-like result on Jarrema from Classical targeting me. If he had not been killed, classical could have even built a network of townie masons. I actually wanted to cooperate with Jarrema, but being killed LYNCHED the next day was bleh.

Top Bottom