[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

Several posts here about counterspies and the new Government Center district. One minor stratagem I've found useful in several R&F games already is to build the Government Center on an otherwise less useful square adjacent to my capital city center but also adjacent to other important districts, such as Science, which were built a couple hexes away from the city center to take advantage of mountains or other features. This allows placement of counterspies on the Government Center where they will also protect against infiltration of both the capital city center and any additional districts that are adjacent to the government center. Obviously there are lots of other districts you could be building in the same sort of location that would serve the same indirect purpose once spying becomes available. But in most cases you would want to position those districts in relation to geographical features you can't control -- mountains, coasts, mines, rivers, etc. With the government center placement not being influenced by the need to get such bonuses, it's useful as a district intentionally placed somewhat early in the game in a way that will lend itself to future counter-spying.

I'm also curious about what other players think about prioritizing the building of this district. So far I've been aggressive in trying to get it placed once it becomes available unless there's something more urgent at the moment. This is partially because I'm trying maximize the R&F play experience to understand it better, and partially because I really do think the additional wildcard options it makes available are valuable.

Kongo's mbanzas no longer need to be worked (in fact, I think you cannot work them as tiles)... The 2f 4g is automatically added to the city center, similar to a granary.

Which is ridiculously strong if you compare the cost to, say, a lighthouse.

One new thing I've noticed is you can no longer rebase your bombers and fighters to any city in the world. They are limited by their range now. I'm pretty sure they fixed this to work as intended, but honestly it's kind of a pita. Like my jet fighter isn't fast enough to fly across a continent in 1 year. :p

Another thing I have noticed is when a city becomes a free city, nuclear contamination disappears.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Samurai and Electronics factory are still trash (why aren't unique buildings half price?), but I feel Meiji Restoration has become much more useful. With the government district and changes to policy cards, it's so much easier to get full value out of rationalism and etc. In a city with Reyna as governor I got 18-20 production from my shipyard.

With the Bodyguard of Lies (I believe?) dedication, Machiavellianism policy card and Linguist spy promotion I was completing spy missions every 2 turns. Sweet...

It seems that Observation Balloons have inadvertently been given the Drone ability of granting +5 bombard strength to adjacent units. It looks like they used ADJACENT_FRIENDLY_OBSERVER_UNIT_REQUIREMENT , which is attached to CLASS_OBSERVATION . Thus giving Balloons the ability. Should have used an additional requirement for unit type matches to limit it to Drones only.

Wait, spies can get 4 promotions?

Or maybe this is a weird bug with Terracotta Army. My spy already had 3 promotions when I built Terracotta army (I know I said I don't care to build this one, but since no one else had done it, I went ahead and got it), so then the option to promote him came up again, now my spy has 4 promotions. Sweet.

Top Bottom