Small tip: trading post on marsh land

Aldor

King
I noticed in a game yesterday that building a trading post on marsh grassland does not automatically drain the marsh first. You will have a 1F2G hex (instead of 2F2G) if you don't watch out for this (I noticed this only far in the game, lost quite a bit of food over this I guess as it was multiple hexes in my case).

Seeing that building TP's in forests an jungles doesn't clear said feature, this behaviour may be intended. Thanks for the heads up though.

°dA

Seeing that building TP's in forests an jungles doesn't clear said feature, this behaviour may be intended. Thanks for the heads up though.

More like an oversight, since marshes are strictly inferior compared to grassland or forests. Especially if you have terrain detail graphics set low, even telling marshlands and grasslands apart can be difficult.

Jungles, at least, are useful for producing raw beakers with a University, but Marshlands are completely useless.

Jungles, at least, are useful for producing raw beakers with a University, but Marshlands are completely useless.

Marshlands have alligators... bird with pretty feathers... maybe have marshlands give +0.5 happiness when worked with a trade post, if you have a certain tech or social policy.

More like an oversight, since marshes are strictly inferior compared to grassland or forests. Especially if you have terrain detail graphics set low, even telling marshlands and grasslands apart can be difficult.

And what if you want to place a TP on a marshland before you get to Masonry, hm?

well just remember, Oil can only be found in marches, desert, tundra, ice and water.
Most game would not go to industrial age, but may be you would like to keep marsh for the chance of oil?

You mean, parrots make fine pets? :D

Why yes, yes they do.

Hmm I have a question though, what's the difference between a marsh and a flood plain. Here in Florida we have the Everglades, which is a river of grass... marsh? flood plain? swamp? What's the difference?

Why yes, yes they do.

Hmm I have a question though, what's the difference between a marsh and a flood plain. Here in Florida we have the Everglades, which is a river of grass... marsh? flood plain? swamp? What's the difference?

Marshes are more permanent in nature. Flood plains flood temporarily and are very fertile. Nile delta comes to mind.

Which reminds me... Trading posts built on flood plains should regularly wash away. Maybe every 15 turns.

Thanks for the tip. My biggest problem with marshes is they do not look much different to my 40 something eyar old eyes. Too often I have done just this as well as wasting movement point trodding a march which I initially thought was a grassland or plains.

well just remember, Oil can only be found in marches, desert, tundra, ice and water.
Most game would not go to industrial age, but may be you would like to keep marsh for the chance of oil?

Isn't the location of Oil predetermined at the beginning of the game? So it shouldn't matter if you cut down the marsh first right? :eek:

Thanks for the tip. My biggest problem with marshes is they do not look much different to my 40 something eyar old eyes. Too often I have done just this as well as wasting movement point trodding a march which I initially thought was a grassland or plains.

I recommend playing with tile yields on. It was a good (even abusive) idea in civ IV, but it's still good in V. Any doubt about tiles quickly goes away with yields. While a minor terrain variation is subtle, one or more less green dot is less subtle.

I recommend playing with tile yields on. It was a good (even abusive) idea in civ IV, but it's still good in V. Any doubt about tiles quickly goes away with yields. While a minor terrain variation is subtle, one or more less green dot is less subtle.

Good idea, thanks TMIT.

Even better, there's a setting in options where tile yields only display for Settlers and Workers, which is not nearly as intrusive as having them constantly enabled.

°dA

Even better, there's a setting in options where tile yields only display for Settlers and Workers, which is not nearly as intrusive as having them constantly enabled.

°dA

Yeah, it's for all civilian units, which includes great generals... I didn't notice if it works for "embarked" units, which are technically civilian units.

This is something I could probably find out for myself, but with 60 hours a week of work, a 1 year old and a wife working an opposite schedule my Civ time is very limited….

How do you turn on resource bubbles? I have tile yields on for civilian units which is great btw.

°dA

I really enjoy your vids TMIT (thanks) but I'd prefer it if you'd use this setting

Top Bottom