[GS] Sneak Peak 21/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly expect them to reveal Eleanor last because the mechanic behind 1 leader 2 civs will either be VERY cool or VERY dumb and our reaction to it will either be something that would get discussed in EVERY STUPID LIVESTREAM FOR THE REST OF THE REVEALS (Why not allow Byzantine alternate leader for Ottomans? WELL ED?) or it will be so negative that it will be hated on in EVERY STUPID LIVESTREAM FOR THE REST OF THE REVEALS (Why not just allow Byzantine leaders and Roman leaders for Ottomans, WELL ED?)

Eleanor will be last.

I honestly expect them to reveal Eleanor last because the mechanic behind 1 leader 2 civs will either be VERY cool or VERY dumb and our reaction to it will either be something that would get discussed in EVERY STUPID LIVESTREAM FOR THE REST OF THE REVEALS (Why not allow Byzantine alternate leader for Ottomans? WELL ED?) or it will be so negative that it will be hated on in EVERY STUPID LIVESTREAM FOR THE REST OF THE REVEALS (Why not just allow Byzantine leaders and Roman leaders for Ottomans, WELL ED?)

Eleanor will be last.

That is my feeling as well. It's the Gorgo Maneuver. Even though we had seen the name, and the fuzzy image, it still generated a lot of buzz when they finally confirmed that alt leaders are a thing in Civ VI. And so it will be with Eleanor. The buzz will be that a single leader can be the alt leader of multiple civs.

It's that buzz they are looking for. The frisson. They want to hit peak hype the week of release. They maybe could get that with Ottomans like they tried with Zulu. But they are going with the Gorgo Maneuver.

That is my feeling as well. It's the Gorgo Maneuver. Even though we had seen the name, and the fuzzy image, it still generated a lot of buzz when they finally confirmed that alt leaders are a thing in Civ VI. And so it will be with Eleanor. The buzz will be that a single leader can be the alt leader of multiple civs.

It's that buzz they are looking for. The frisson. They want to hit peak hype the week of release. They maybe could get that with Ottomans like they tried with Zulu. But they are going with the Gorgo Maneuver.

exactly once all the civs are revealed, just the potential of 1 leader on multiple civs will generate discussion all the way into release, I can imagine lets players talking about the potential for Charlemagne, Constantine or Kublai Khan during their first GS run.

That is what I thought at first too. But then I realized that only a great fool would take the obvious choice he was given. I am not a great fool so clearly I cannot chose the Phoenicians. But Firaxis would have known I was not a great fool, Firaxis would of counted on it so I clearly have to chose the Ottomans. So you would think I would have made my decision, but not remotely! Because palm trees are found in Australia as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals and criminals are used to people not trusting them as Firaxis is not trusted by me so I can clearly not choose the Phoenicians.

But I'm not done yet. Wait until I get going! Where was I? Oh yes, Australia. Yes Australia and Firaxis must have suspected I'd know the origin of palm trees, so I can clearly not choose the Ottomans. You might be thinking that I truly don't know. But you'd like to think that wouldn't you! Firaxis has made Giant Death Robots which means Firaxis is exceptionally strong, so Firaxis could have made me think it's the Phoenicians to trust to their strength to save themselves, so I can clearly not choose the Phoenicians. But Firaxis has also implemented global warming which means that Firaxis must have studied and in studying they must have learned that man is mortal so Firaxis would have made me think that it was the Ottomans, so I can clearly not choose the Ottomans.

Firaxis is trying to trick me but it won't work. They've given everything away I've I know what civilization it is! I will make my choice! And I choose...what in the world can that be? Oh, I, I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. Let's drink.

(It's the Ottomans)

Spoiler If you're confused watch this :

You, good sir, take the internet today. :hatsoff:

exactly once all the civs are revealed, just the potential of 1 leader on multiple civs will generate discussion all the way into release, I can imagine lets players talking about the potential for Charlemagne, Constantine or Kublai Khan during their first GS run.
Let’s not forget everyone’s favorite, Maria the Mad for Portugal and Brazil. ;)

But seriously the combination of the unique governor, possibly for the Ottomans, Eleanor leading two Civs, and wondering how the Cothon will work for Phoenicia, makes any one of them interesting to reveal last.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget everyone’s favorite, Maria the Mad for Portugal and Brazil.

Maybe not her, but her son or her grandson (grandfather and father of our beloved Dom Satan) could work. I would like to change my capital to another city and tell Napoleon to Moderator Action: <snip> off.

Moderator Action: Vulgarity snipped. Please comply with site rules regarding use of inappropriate language. Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those date palms? It's clearly Tamar of Phoenicia. :mischief:

The livestream hint means it's pretty much confirmed Ottomans, but without it might have gone Phoenicia with this instead. Definitely too tropical for Eleanor. Hopefully we could get Mehmed II for the Ottomans (or has the leader already been confirmed?)

The livestream hint means it's pretty much confirmed Ottomans, but without it might have gone Phoenicia with this instead. Definitely too tropical for Eleanor. Hopefully we could get Mehmed II for the Ottomans (or has the leader already been confirmed?)

He would have been a nice change of pace, but it's supposed to be Suleiman again.

Maybe not her, but her son or her grandson (grandfather and father of our beloved Dom Satan) could work.
I was joking. If anything I would want Joao II to return or Manuel I for an exploration themed Portugal.

Suleiman was the leader in the leak, and so far it has been right.
Edit: @ferretbacon beat me to it. Hopefully Suleiman this time around might have cultural elements in his ability because he was a poet.

He would have been a nice change of pace, but it's supposed to be Suleiman again.

Still, maybe in an alt leaders dlc after GS, we could get Mehmed, along with a bunch more missed out leaders

Tropical? I interpreted those "trees" as trimmed topiary.

But the actual trees look like some kind of palm, tho well-trimmed ones at that

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, the most exciting thing about GS is not the new features of Natural Disasters, Future Dreck, Giant Prancing Robots, new leaders and civs and such, but the new Opportunities represented by some of the leaders, Civs, and features:
1. Mobile Starts on land or sea for other civs besides the Maori: like Pastoral Civs on land such as the Huns, Scythians or Momgols. I fully expect to see Scythia and/or Mongolia so modified Very Soon after GS appears.
2. Alternate Multi-Civ Leaders. Here's a bag of goodies for the Mod Squad: as mentioned, Charlemagne, Constantine, Kublai - but let's not forget James I/VI of England and Scotland, or William of Holland and England, or even Post Conquest Alexander of Macedon/Persia or Pre-Conquest Alexander of Greece/Macedon!
3. Map-Changing Improvements or Wonders or Events. Whether from 'Natural' Disasters, or Dams or Canals or Tunnels or Mountain Wonders, here's a chance to give Civ VI some of the previously-missing ability of the Modern Era and later to massively modify the terrain: dams creating multi-tile lakes/reservoirs to enhance terrain for farming (Real Irrigation!), Mining Mountains either with a tunnel mechanism or an Open Face technique that removes the mountain. Adding rivers ('canals') for water source or enhanced Trade Routes - there's a whole lot to play with here!

So, aside from the new goodies in GS itself, there are potentially even more goodies for the Modding Community to play with, so that after release, there GS benefits will keep on acomin' . . .

But the actual trees look like some kind of palm, tho well-trimmed ones at that
Keep in mind that it might be a tiny snippet. The Mali snippet hat architectural artifacts that weren‘t to be seen in the final background. The trees might be strangely shaped or overly simplified date palms, or well groomed fruit trees. They do seem rather small in contrast to the arcades far behind it as well.

I'll say it's the Ottomans. I would imagine cedar trees for Phoenica.
Date palms would be very thematic for Phoenicia as well: dates are and always have been a major commodity of the Levant. But I agree that it's the Ottomans. I'd be a little surprised to see Dido in a cedar grove, since cedars of Lebanon grow in the mountains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom