sneaky...

dharmabum06

Chieftain
I'm a dedicated reader of posts here (I think 'lurker' is too sinister...) and a relative newcomer to the game. Two questions: First, is there a way to distinguish which mods work with which versions? I only have 'nilla and PTW, and i keep getting all excited about things I can't have! (I am also poor, so I can't afford Conquests yet. Alas...) Second, although I have Pop-Up Stopper, the popups are still popping, every time i go to a new page. How didja manage that? And how can I stop it, especiall now that the board has been updated and there is a warning about clearing my cache; every page now puts a new cookie in there (is this a "cache 22"? Sorry...:crazyeye: )? Anyway, hello, namaste, etcetera.

Welcome :D.

Most mods have the info on what versions they are compatible with, at least here on CFC.

And to stop those popups, well, I don't get any, and I use Firefox, so maybe you could try that?

:).

Well, I never upgraded to that, as I heard it wasn't as reliable as my current version (the one before that).

I never had this problem on CFC, but try adblock (I forget if that's only for onscreen ads, not popups).

BTW, this might be moved to site feedback or something soon.

:).

dharmabum06 said:
I have the latest Firefox, but it seems kinda shaky...
Fire Fox is anything but Shaky, quite possibly the BEST internet browser out their

Well, if by latest you mean the actual latest build that's not good, you should get the latest stable release, 1.0.7.

And hello, welcome to the land of the unstable and bored. :D

No, the latest one is reportedly shaky.

And a lot of it is on opinion still :).

I don't get popups and I use IE.

I've never liked Firefox and it hasn't always worked too nicely for me...

I have 1.0.7, and I think they rushed it a bit to plug that gaping exploit in 1.0.6; there was a crappy workaround, but they had to cover their collective bum, so they might have duffed a bit. I also think it beats any browser, but why are people so defensive? It is a PRODUCT, albeit a very good product, and designed to make MORE MONEY.

Well I'm starting to notice Firefox crashing a lot more often and getting more popups then IE which I have to use at work :( grrr. You can get around firefox's popup blocker fairly easily now. I have had sites that IE blocked but not Firefox and the other way around. I'm running zone alarm pro with firefox on one of my desktops at home and stuff rarely gets around it. Firefox is definately good but also a false sense of security. And if you have any adware installed you can forget about blocking popups.

Thanks for the welcome, and okey dokey, boss!
I have ad-aware, too, and it crashes my puter unless i shut down everything else first... so I get kinda lazy... also this is a very old unit (the pc, not me... ahem) which brings up another problem: some of the mods are like molasses between turns, 3 to 5 minutes. The plan is to find some money under a rock or something, and get new gear. Well, that's the PLAN...

dharmabum06 said:
Thanks for the welcome, and okey dokey, boss!
I have ad-aware, too, and it crashes my puter unless i shut down everything else first...

That is the reason you have pop-ups. One thing you can see is if the pop-ups pop-up when no browser is open, if they do, then it's the adware doing it, without question.

Padma said:
He said he has Ad-Aware, as in the LavaSoft anti-spyware program....

It’s terrible to be an idiot. :blush: :twitch: :lol:

Well... sounds like ad ware anyway, it's probably just not being detected.

Top Bottom