So apparently, the AI has not been improved

I'm not as good at game as you all, but i can see AI flaws sometimes. Still for me it's not so bad, and like it was once said, it is for the vast majority of players, especially casual. Firaxis maybe also thinks that way.
And i still don't understand why people complain about AI not using planes? In my game AI always builds and uses planes and nukes. And i play mostly on king. It's strange that ai don't do it on high difficulties.

Dont expect AI improvement for Civ6 , maybe for next game in series.

Apparently, from the pre-release version given to streamers, the AI seems to not have been improved (that much).

Marbozir has made a video about that :

In particular, if you go at 1:05 : "... litteraly never use any air units at all, I have yet to see the AIs use them."

I was like you. Never saw the AI use air power. So I would never use planes. Well I stopped playing into the late ages.

But when I started finishing games. I got buzz sawed by one AI. I was like ok. I have to build planes now.

I have seen others say the same. No its not perfect. But better

While i will say i am always hoping for more AI improvements i can't say i am too surpised at the minor improvements we got.

as for Air units. I saw in either one of the streams, or lets plays(might of been quils canada game) where the AI was using fighters deployed above a city. Now do they attack, or stay in one city rather than constantly flying back and forth between 2 cities is another question.

Another issue as well, and i guess we will see if this changed in GS, is late game units were far too expensive. Especially air units. It took way too much effort to get them up and going. Building from scratch in general is just worse than building early and upgrading later.

I honestly dont remember, but assuming its not there, they should take the encampment + buildings production boost card, and later in the game add aerodomes + its buildings to it. It would be worth sloting that for a few turns to get a few dome up and going.

Building air units without an aerodome would also help increase the number of planes you see. even if you keep the cap to one or 2 planes per city.(not talking about aerodome)

Something i have learned over the years is, the more hurdles and checks you make the AI have to go through to do something, the less likely it will ever do it. Building a dome is one big check(not just production, but pop limit, space, etc), and then having the production to build the units and buildings after. players can manage this far better than the AI ever could.

it will be a huge disappointment for me
Who cares?

....Well, recently I played my first and only R&F game on quick speed, just because I knew I won't be able to finish normal speed game before GS release. Surprisingly, I saw Poland to build and use air units. Not very effectively, but still use.
Moreover, I noticed all first-rate AIs to repair their space districts with effectivity I never saw at normal speed. So I Iost this game's space race to Persia because alternative was losing it to Australia.

Another AI complaining thread?
It has all been thrashed to death
This, of course. For me, it's enough that the AI CAN zerg me to an early demise if I ignore early barbs--that's a big improvement from earlier Civs.

Personally, I'm most concerned with the internal efficiency of my own empire--so the AI is mostly irrelevant. But if the AI attacks, ineptly, I role-play it to mean I'm a military genius who maximizes the potential of my information-gathering. This makes me much happier than grousing about a less than perfect AI. :)

I find this odd because, in my current R&F game, I just got attacked by a Kongolese Fighter whilst trying to Liberate a City State.

Sure, use of Air Units is far too rare in R&F for my tastes, but I definitely dismiss the claims of "literally never uses them".

That’s the nub of the problem. There’s no reason to build air units if the AI doesn’t ever build them.

Completely the reverse for me...if I'm a little (or a lot) behind in army size, from boombers on they are what allows me to trash every one with uncontrolled air superiority... it's not even fun, to me it feels even worse than the chop overflow exploit...

Apart from that, I feel the AI is quite ok, and I too, like @Victoria and many others, am tired of reading about how bad the AI is in thread after thread... dead horse !!!

If it's confirmed for release it will be a huge disappointment for me, to the point I think I will not buy this expansion (pre-purchase cancelled due to that).

I don't understand what made you think there were going to be significant changes to the AI before this. I mean where did ever even get the impression that there was going to be a significant overhaul to the AI so much that you based your entire preorder on that fact only to NOW be disappointed?

Guys, we are all tired of seeing AI threads, I totally understand how boring it can be, espescially when you have the feeling to see always the same threads again and again. I am with you on this. Do not think I was happy to create this post. I made it because it has to be denounced.

I repeat again : it's not normal that twos years after release the AI is not able to use all the features of the game, in particular the air part (as reported by Marbozir). I do not speak of being good or competitive or IDK what. I speak about being functional. That's all. At release at the limit it could be understable because it's a big game and not easy to master.. but twos expansions and twos years later!??? Seriously devs....

If you are buying this game based on AI improvements, then you should be quite worried. But do keep in mind that the press build isn't final. Eleanor seemed to be doing well in the live stream.

I wonder, if the perceived quality of the AI could be improved by adding back this option:

but only for the AI and only for units. In Civ3 it halved production for everything and everybody.

When in doubt, let the AI zerg, I say, who needs subtleties, where large enough unit numbers would create desired impression.

One of my more memorable games were from the days of the God of the Forge bug. My neighbour Peter sent such a carpet of troops in my direction that I was almost sweating for the length of the Ancient and Classical eras. But then new eras came and they just stopped building troops.

I would spend $40 on an expansion pack that only included a competent AI and 8 classic civ leaders (Napoleon, Caesar, etc). And I would probably be more excited for it than for GS

I would be just as excited for more compelling modern or revolutionary/democratically elected leaders. Give me Simon Bolivar, give me Kwame Nkrumah. For whatever reason, Civ 6's push for diversity has mostly brought more second-tier nobility to the game

[...] the AI is not able to use all the features of the game [...]
You keep repeating this, without telling us what you mean by that.

What features are not used by the AI (apart from the air units)?
I would spend $40 on an expansion pack that only included a competent AI and 8 classic civ leaders (Napoleon, Caesar, etc).
But would you want to create that precedent, though? A good AI as a DLC?
I can imagine people getting out their pitchforks for asking money for something that should've been in the basegame.
And even worse: What if it sells well? It'll give them a reason to purposefully leave out a good AI in the next iteration of Civ.

Top Bottom