1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So ... Carthage is a thing

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by NukeAJS, Dec 8, 2018 at 8:33 PM.

1. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

During the Maori livestream, the devs showed off one of the new CSs. I forget the exact name but it seemed African in origin. Anyways, that's not the point. The point is: that CS had the exact same bonus that Carthage has now (units are -20% to purchase per encampment building). On top of that, during the first livestream we saw a tool-tip that mentioned an adjacency bonus for a cothon district. It's a super safe bet to say that Carthage is in the next expansion. Actually, I think that's such a safe bet that we can just accept it and move on to meaningless (though informed) conjecture.

Since sea trade routes will get a boost in GS, I think Carthage is a prime candidate to exploit this more than other civs. I don't know exactly how sea trade routes have been improved, but Carthage will do it better. Perhaps it'll be more range? Maybe just more gold? Maybe unique yields to/from (like Egypt)? Maybe something involving alliances/diplomatic favor/diplomatic attitude? Some combination? All that being said, Carthage's UA will tie-into naval trading.

Which logically follows that Carthage's UU will be a naval unit. Since there are no unique quadremes, I'd bet this is where it'll land. I've always liked quads; but their problem is that they are too expensive, even with the +100% unit card. I've no idea what a Carthage UU quad would be, but a ranged/melee/raider would be a ton of fun. They'd be the absolute masters of the sea ... until caravels and then it'd fall apart.

As mentioned above, their UD will be the cothon. If their UA is trade-related, the cothon will most likely have something non-trade related. If their UA isn't trade related, the cothon will have a trade bonus of some sort. A harbor that functioned the same as an encampment for combat purposes could be neat albeit very defensive. That ability would be nice with canals in the game -- a single city could have three static defenses near a canal -- the city center, encampment, and cothon. Such a district would enhance a "dominate the seas" flavor.

As for a leader, I've no idea. You could go with classic leaders like Hannibal or Dido, of course. Hannibal would focus on military and that would possibly make Carthage a very well-rounded civ focusing on navy, army, and trade. Dido could focus on diplomacy -- maybe something involving diplomatic favor? She was quite the negotiator/manipulator if I remember correctly.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on Carthage? What would you like to see? What do you think we will see?

2. JimGrumpypants

JimGrumpypants Chieftain

I can't imagine having three district attacks - that would be absolutely lethal.

However, they did mention to expect more asymmetric bonus / penalties. I could see harbors gaining defensive attacks paired with "unable to build encampments." (Or encampments just losing the attack.)
    I could get behind that as a bonus.

3. Dray

Dray Clairvoyant

It's Phoenecia led by Dido, and we've known for quite some time.

VermelhoRed and johnlynch13957 like this.
  4. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

5. Patine

Patine Warlord

I can't help but notice that Hiram I, King of Tyre, who famously racked up a huge fortune by cornering the purple dye market (the very same dye the Koine Greek exonym "Phoenicia" is derived from), and had great influence in the Early Iron Age Levant, including being VERY chummy with Solomon of Israel, has NEVER even seemingly been seriously considered as a Phoenician leader in any of Civ. In fact, to my knowledge, no non-Carthaginian leader, or Phoenician leader ruling in Phoenicia proper (the Lebanon region) has EVER been seriously considered for such a status in any Civ iteration. I find this a disappointing example of Firaxis (and MicroProse for Civ2) having areas they truly do lack imagination and a willingness to go outside VERY limited boxes, of which there are several such areas.

Depravo and Siptah like this.
  6. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Seems like a few interesting civs coming to the party in this expansion. I had read here - second or third hand - that the alternate leader was to be Elanor for France. I was hoping more for another Chinese leader or for Churchill in England, but we'll see, I suppose.

7. Dray

Dray Clairvoyant

Eleanor leads both France and England.

8. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Chieftain

I think it's unfortunate that, if the leaks are accurate, we're probably going to get Phoenicia-in-name-alone -- with Dido leading it, Carthage potentially as its capital, and a Cothon that could just as easily have gone to Carthage. I really wanted Phoenicia to debut, but why even bother if you're just going to rename an existing civilization and call it a day? I'm already kind of bummed by the fact that Sumeria is just Assyria in a Gilgamesh cosplay and the fact that Egypt is just Desert Greece, but I'm worried that this expansion's ancient civilization might be a bust too.

(i concede they're more of a very-early-classical civ, but i'll take what i can get from a game that will never give me babylon or the hittites)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM
    j51, Depravo and Guandao like this.
  9. Ziad

Ziad Chieftain

I can also see Cothon being a two in one district combing both the Harbor and Commercial District but with some restrictions/reductions.

10. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

Putin leads both Russia and America.

Socrates99, Kjimmet, Haig and 2 others like this.
  11. Patine

Patine Warlord

Victoria leads England, Scotland, Australia, India, Canada, Zululand, and the Maoris... :p

The Sun Never Sets...

12. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

It could (since it was a defensive building) also be that the Cothon is a harbor that gives you another defensive attack like the Encampment

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  13. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Or it might simply do what a walled harbor is supposed to do: protect the unit the harbor.

Trav'ling Canuck and bite like this.
  14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Looking at gameplay video is really interesting, for example, commercial hubs now receives adjacancy bonus from Cothon district, which suggests that Carthage will appear in GS, with a cothon district.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Yup. @Giskler noticed it in the original reveal stream already, in fact. If the leak is correct (and it's been correct about everything so far) we'll have Phoenicia lead by Dido, rather than Carthage.

16. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

In fact I was me :)

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  17. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Oops. Apologies. Guess I'm too used to Giskler noticing absolutely everything.

18. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Almost everything ;)

DWilson, Kjimmet and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  19. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

yeah that was my little brick in Giskler's wall ;)

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff