So they call Pedro "Peter" in the german version.

Tsar Yekaterina of Russia is Catherine in the English version. Leader translations are not all that consistent. The German wikipedia page says Peter II so it appears to be standard to call him that in Germany.

With so much effort put in native languages and music, they really could do a little better in this field. Rule of thumb in translation of names is to keep the original name whenever there is no good cultural equivalent and if a name is especially hard to pronounce or even read, transference should be used. I can see no harm in leaving Pedro be as he is.

Well, not quite. The standard is certainly to translate to common accepted name. Rome is Rome, for example, not Roma because it is commonly accepted that way. Philip II of Spain (if he were the leader) would be Philip, not Felipe. I think the question for Pedro is what he would be known as in a German textbook.

To be fair, Pedro is the...Iberian(?) form of Peter.

Philip II of Spain (if he were the leader) would be Philip, not Felipe.

Yep. And in Spanish, his archnemesis Elizabeth I of England is called "Isabel". It's pretty standard practice to render the names of monarchs into local languages. It's not a universal practice (Pedro II is called "Pedro II" in English, and the current king of Spain is "Juan Carlos" rather than "John Charles"), but it's a common and long-established one. If the Germans do, in fact, call Pedro II "Peter", then it's correct to use that form in the German version.

You have language support and whining about a name? people are weird...

Well, not quite. The standard is certainly to translate to common accepted name. Rome is Rome, for example, not Roma because it is commonly accepted that way. Philip II of Spain (if he were the leader) would be Philip, not Felipe. I think the question for Pedro is what he would be known as in a German textbook.

↑ This.

And for what it's worth, the emperor's article in the German Wikipedia refers to him as "Peter II." so I don't see what the problem is. After all, we have Alexander, Catherine and Isabella rather than Alexandros, Yekaterina and Isabel, and nobody complains about that.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_II._(Brasilien)

By the way, Pedro was half-Austrian. His mom was a great-nephew of Marie Antoniette. I also wish to understand how the guy ruling the country of Carnaval is so grumpy. Maybe he hates drums.

After all, we have Alexander, Catherine and Isabella rather than Alexandros, Yekaterina and Isabel, and nobody complains about that.

Is it bad that I would love if this was the case? :blush: Same with city-names (wherever possible)...

One day I kinda want to mod the game just for these small details... :p

Is it bad that I would love if this was the case? :blush: Same with city-names (wherever possible)...

Be glad that Brazil's 2nd city is Sao Paulo, not Sao Paolo... :lol:

Names are translated into the language CiV is in so that people won't get confuse for example. Alexander is Aléxandros, Catherine is Yekaterina, Genghis Khan is Chinggis Khaan, Boudica is Buddug. People won't know who Yekaterina or Chinggis is unless if it's translated.

No, that's not bad at all. As a huge foreign language enthusiast, I'm with you there. I'm just saying, there's nothing inconsistent with what they're doing here, and it's probably the best option for the general non-language-geek public. If you want to spice things up, you can change the language you play Civ in. It's especially fun to play in the language of the civ you're playing, if it's available.

武則天 has declared war on Θεοδώρα!

I had no problem reading that. I would love if the game were like this, though I would have to review the Arabic and Hindi scripts, and the Japanese kanji readings, and figure out some of those exotic ones like Amharic and Thai...but I could deal with it as long as they didn't throw any cuneiform or hieroglyphics in there!

Top Bottom