Some dynamic city name problems

Shimicakan

Chieftain
Hello, i recently re-downloaded this wonderful mod and cant help but notice some of the names not changing as they should with conquest. Melpum which does not turn into Mediolanum, Babil that does not turn into Baghdad and Uru that stays Uru for the rest of the game are a few of the culprits. Is there a bug or is there a reason for them not changing? Also- Moors getting Qartaj instead of Tunis intrigues me.

I also found that about Tax Mutal (Tikal, or Belize in that same tile) and Uuc Yabnal (Chichén Itzá or Mérida).

Some of these are intentional, e.g. Carthage is renamed to Qartaj while it is named Tunis when a new city is founded. Same for Babylon, which is not the same city as Baghdad.

For the other ones, and similar problems you find, please report which civ acquired the city as well.

For Melpum it was acquired by the romans. I spawned as the Spanish so wasnt there to see the full history of the city, its possible it was taken by someone else followed by romans or similarly, but it was owned by romans and called Melpum. I didnt continue the game (as Catholicism failed to spawn- is that intentional?) though so i unfortunately have no screenshots to provide. These rules essentially means that for 3000BC games there will never be Baghdads and Tunis', correct? If i change it in world builder will that trigger the name change when new civs conquer it? I.E. Bagdat when the turks take it and similarly

I'll look into Melpum. Catholicism cannot spawn early under some circumstances, but it will spawn later during the Middle Ages in that case.

If you rename Babil to Baghdad the game will treat the name as Baghdad from then on.

I think even for a portuguese start it wasnt spawned at a time (trying to decide on a civ i wanna commit to) and i instead started with an orthodox missionary. All right, good to know. I'll let you know if there are more of these issues that appear

The game can be inconsistent about what's a new city and what's not. Vijayanagara is not Bangalore, Cairo is not Memphis, Anavarin is not Sparta, Parsa is (obviously) not Shiraz, etc. In all of these cases I think using the later name for a different city on the same tile is better than leaving it and think the same should apply to Babylon, Carthage, Ur, and Charchemish. Especially the last two, I hate seeing Ur still thriving in 1922 and it *always* does

Top Bottom