Some random obervations from the streams

Eurkas are not free. You may have better options if you want science such as buildings campuses, science buildings or campuses projects (a single GS give in many cases 3 eurkas or other science boosts).

Eurkas are maybe in many cases more like an bonus then a optimal science strategy. There are also an opportunity cost of leaving techs half research in wait for the eurka.

maybe the Eurkeas are easy to get, because of the easy difficulty that the developers put the previewers on?
Don't think so. Eurekas are simply easy.

Going by marbozir's Greece game and Quill's Rome game, even casually chasing Eurekas puts you 30 techs up on the AI by end game.

Don't think so. Eurekas are simply easy.

Going by marbozir's Greece game and Quill's Rome game, even casually chasing Eurekas puts you 30 techs up on the AI by end game.

1) That's Prince. Not going for Eurekas would probably also put you up 30 techs on the AI by end game.

2) That is still not necessarily the most efficient gameplay. Going out of your way to grab every inspiration is not as efficient as just building an initial monument to double your culture. Grabbing techs/civics just because they are boosted is not always going to lead to techs/civics that actually give you bonuses you use.

Now, I agree that they still seem easy. I think the thing that needs to be done is not to change the base cost or the proportion a eureka provides, but to change how easy they are to get. Maybe we'll have to wait for patches or mods for this, though.

1) That's Prince. Not going for Eurekas would probably also put you up 30 techs on the AI by end game.

2) That is still not necessarily the most efficient gameplay. Going out of your way to grab every inspiration is not as efficient as just building an initial monument to double your culture. Grabbing techs/civics just because they are boosted is not always going to lead to techs/civics that actually give you bonuses you use.

Now, I agree that they still seem easy. I think the thing that needs to be done is not to change the base cost or the proportion a eureka provides, but to change how easy they are to get. Maybe we'll have to wait for patches or mods for this, though.

I think we should just wait and see how it affects gameplay. Ed Beech is no rookie and while I am loathe to blindly put my faith in someone, he has shown he knows how to put together a good game. The numbers might need lowering or heaven forbid, raising ever so slightly but let us never forget the mistake that was Civ:BE

"The great mistake".

Eurekas are not like how broken stealing science was in Civ:be so in that regard I already find them to be an improvement!

Posting here so this issue can get some more visibility.

There appears to be something wrong with Japan's UA. It's Meiji Restoration, which according to the description is, word for word, as follows:

"All districts receive an additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district."

However, judging from some streams and playthroughs as Japan in the current pre-release build, the UA doesn't seem to give a standard bonus in addition to the minor bonus that districts receive by default, but rather replaces the minor bonus, giving a much different adjacency bonus than the UA description suggests.

If Firaxis intends for the Japanese districts to receive only the standard bonus and not in addition to the minor bonus, I think they need to reword the description of the Meiji Restoration UA. Otherwise, it's a bug that I hope gets fixed soon.

Evidence: TotalBiscuit's Japan stream features both the UA description itself, and the apparent bug itself. You can also see this in the First Look: Japan video when they demonstrate the UA, though until now I had assumed the lower yields were just part of an early bug that would have been fixed by now.

Eurekas are not like how broken stealing science was in Civ:be so in that regard I already find them to be an improvement!

An improvement? More like a district with some major adjacency bonuses. ;P

Eurkas are not free. You may have better options if you want science such as buildings campuses, science buildings or campuses projects (a single GS give in many cases 3 eurkas or other science boosts).

Eurkas are maybe in many cases more like an bonus then a optimal science strategy. There are also an opportunity cost of leaving techs half research in wait for the eurka.

Yes, that's how the balance should be. Do you want to go that extra mile or do stuff in a sub-optimal order to get the eureka? Problem is, if the bonus is too small you might never care, if it's too big it dictates how you play the game.

Some suggested that not getting an eureka should be a punishment, while getting the eureka should be the norm. I don't know, but to me that sounds like something that would push you in basically the same direction every time (with some exceptions that depend on map and other things you don't control)

Time will tell what the optimal percentage is, but I suspect 50% is a bit much. But that doesn't mean I don't get or like the idea or intention behind the system. I actually quite like it!

Yes I believe it has. So 8, 12, or 16 cities would be ideal. You can't stack 2 copies of wine in 4 cities.

FilthyRobot made this observation and espoused it repeatedly in his later streams. However, it's only true for multiple copies of the same amenity, assuming you trade them with a partner who can provide you with more variety, which..well, why wouldn't you? Now, if you plan to be at war with everyone all the time, then, yes amenity efficiency may be a factor in city build decisions, but in most games it's not worth even a passing consideration.

What is interesting though is to consider at what point does the bonus for extra amenities provide more value than it's support of additional population. That may be a factor in stopping city spam, and city growth, when a 5% boost to four big cities provides more value than supporting more citizens working your worst tiles. At what point is that reached?

----------------

Regarding eurekas/inspiration, they are working as intended, and working well. Quite a few streamers are overvaluing them, and going out of their way to get the boosts, essentially trading production for science, without noticing that they are losing in the deal, and slowing down production in the things that promote their strategy more than the tech boost.

The best part is that if you push research too hard by focusing on boosts early, you can find yourself researching through techs/civis without boosts later because you aren't in position to get those boosts because your development, which is going that way, hasn't caught up yet.

Which is great. That shows how smart the system is and how navigating it isn't so straightforward.

Last edited:
This is my feeling as well, ClavisRa which is why I think the calls to nerf the Eurekas/Inspirations are premature. It remains to be seen whether they are valid or not, they are definitely premature and they appear overpowered exactly because the LPers have been emphasizing the boosts in the early tech tree, speeding through the tech tree, then ending up with no production later on, and fewer and fewer boosts as the game goes on.

As true as that is, I still think the Eurekas are too easy to obtain. It might not be wise to get them all and thus it isn't overpowered or anything, but it certainly is *easy*. That's lame and uninteresting.

Spoiler :
image.jpeg

Has this been addressed? The recruitment of "partisans?"

Looks like military units through spying. Done on a city with an encampment. Note that it doesnt mean recruit high level units but that the spy is better at the mission as if the spy were 2 levels higher.
Yes, there was quite similar spy mission in CivBE.

Yes, there was quite similar spy mission in CivBE.
That is what I was thinking about. With the science mission becoming getting a eureka for a tech they have that you dont I have some hope for spying to not be obscenely overpowered this time.

Also, I can see myself using the partisans mission a lot. I bet stealing money will give less than the cost of buying the units.

The press build has plenty of flaws, that much is clear. Most can be remedied and hopefully will be remedied in the gold release. I expect the team will patch the game or issue bug fixes on a fairly frequent basis for the first 6 months. This is the Firaxis/Sid Meier cash cow for the next few years and they are not going to mess that up. The game is being released in very complete but imperfect condition that I suspect most of us can live with, perhaps some with more gripes than others which is normal. Mods will make or break this title and we know very little about how well it will take mods, though it is promised to do so very well. We'll see.

I just saw in Marbozir's Kongo Gameplay that Scythia accepted 1 gold only for a relic! :confused: The trade system through diplomacy seems broken. Needs fixing as soon as possible in my opinion.

The press build has plenty of flaws, that much is clear. Most can be remedied and hopefully will be remedied in the gold release. I expect the team will patch the game or issue bug fixes on a fairly frequent basis for the first 6 months. This is the Firaxis/Sid Meier cash cow for the next few years and they are not going to mess that up. The game is being released in very complete but imperfect condition that I suspect most of us can live with, perhaps some with more gripes than others which is normal. Mods will make or break this title and we know very little about how well it will take mods, though it is promised to do so very well. We'll see.

I'm getting rather hopeful in regards to mods, but I do still feel a bit of unease. At best, all we've gotten directly about modding is that Civ VI will be much better than Civ 5 for modding, though there's no real substance to that claim. Furthermore, it's unclear whether the Civ VI SDK modding tools will be released on the day of the launch - it could be later on, from what I've heard on the Civ VI Customization subforum.

Personally, I hope it does get released with the game on the launch day, so that as soon as I finish my first game I can get into modding (not just because I really think some civs in the game need changing and tweaking, but because I'm a bit too fond of modding :p).

To sound cynical, I'm reminded a lot of Beyond Earth - lots of encouragement with not much substance to go on. Don't get me wrong, a whole lot more evidence for good stuff in Civ VI has been presented, but in regards to modding, there's been little in indirect material and nothing in direct material, so this worries me.

Reactions: mnf
As true as that is, I still think the Eurekas are too easy to obtain. It might not be wise to get them all and thus it isn't overpowered or anything, but it certainly is *easy*. That's lame and uninteresting.

But if they are made to be hard to obtain, then on higher difficulties they become something not worth the effort to pursue, and becomes something like Tribal Villages, i.e. nice to have, but not anything to be part of the grand strategy. The opportunity cost must match the rewards. So to keep Eureka moments relevant, if we make them hard to obtain we must also make them much more powerful.

And then that acts as an incentive for players to always obtain the few select Eureka moments for the important technologies and civics in every game. Those Eureka moments will act like built-in sling-shots that practically make or break every game on higher difficulties. Wouldn't it?

I'm getting rather hopeful in regards to mods, but I do still feel a bit of unease. At best, all we've gotten directly about modding is that Civ VI will be much better than Civ 5 for modding, though there's no real substance to that claim. Furthermore, it's unclear whether the Civ VI SDK modding tools will be released on the day of the launch - it could be later on, from what I've heard on the Civ VI Customization subforum.

Personally, I hope it does get released with the game on the launch day, so that as soon as I finish my first game I can get into modding (not just because I really think some civs in the game need changing and tweaking, but because I'm a bit too fond of modding :p).

To sound cynical, I'm reminded a lot of Beyond Earth - lots of encouragement with not much substance to go on. Don't get me wrong, a whole lot more evidence for good stuff in Civ VI has been presented, but in regards to modding, there's been little in indirect material and nothing in direct material, so this worries me.

Concur that we have heard nothing of substance to indicate modding tools are coming upon release or how substantial they will be. However, Firaxis knows very well from both Civ and XCom experience that modding is what keeps a title fresh and selling well over time. Not to mention that a title that can be readily modded, is also more open to DLC and similar post release content that can be marketed. Civ is the flagship of the Firaxis line and somehow I just cannot imagine them dropping the ball on any aspect of it, especially modding. What does concern me (based on no specific knowledge) is that Sid must be nearing retirement age and who knows what Firaxis will be without him to steady the helm in future titles. I could see a situation like Apple without Steve Jobs - bereft of soul & personality. But I"m probably getting way ahead of myself... :D

Top Bottom