Sons of Mars IV

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
Something something destruction of old order. Something something establishment of new one complete.

Welcome to Sons of Mars IV, a game that borrows idea from Mosher and Sonereal’s games. Whereas Multipolarity represents my games with a soft power emphasis, Sons of Mars shall live up to its name and be a game that is more Spartan and also allows armed conflict.

The Map

Pick a nation name, color, and 10 territories.

Each turn you receive 1 EP per territory, along with 1 for every infrastructure point you have invested in. You may purchase the following with these points:

-Infrastructure; adds 1 EP and costs 10 EP. Grows by a small amount each turn. Represents not just hard assets but such things as human capital as well. As such, you can demand infrastructure in a peace accord (think the Allies taking Germany’s stuff). Infrastructure adds +1 supply and increases trade revenue.
-Offensive land quality; adds a multiplier to land attacks
-Defensive land quality; adds a multiplier to defending troops
-Naval quality; naval units become more effective
-Aerial quality; aerial units become more effective
-Espionage; specify a country to invest the EP in, and this will determine the effectiveness of missions against it. This includes your own country, where it counts as your defense.

You may also buy units. Units are sorted by price, artillery attack/defense and direct attack/defense.

Your infrastructure and provinces together equate to your supply, a basic representation of how many units your country can sustain without economic damage or degradation in quality. If you exceed your supply, you will start paying maintenance fees, which are exponential. Infrastructure purchases and province gains do not count towards your supply on the same turn.

Combat is simple; forces exchange artillery blows and then direct attacks follow. An all-artillery force can theoretically always emerge victorious, but it can be cut to ribbons by a small force of direct attacks that survives. Balance is key. With regards to campaigns, for simplicity, all units engaging between two nations are counted in a single battle. For the duration of a war, territories seized do not generate EP or increase supply, but they don't rebel either except by espionage action; once a peace accord is reached seized territories are automatically assimilated for simplicity and function as if they were taken via peaceful means.

Land units may engage only land units; sea units may engage land and sea units; while aerial units may engage all three types. When engaging a different class of unit, only the artillery attack counts (the gunfire of a fighter plane isn’t much good against a battleship or tank, while a missile or bomb most certainly is).

-Infantry. 2; 1/1; 2/3; the most basic, cheap unit, but makes them very useful for rapid expansion and human wave tactics
-Tank Division. 5; 5/3; 10/5
-Artillery. 5; 10/1; 1/1; may strategic bombard infrastructure; may only target enemies in bordering provinces
-Carriers. 15; 10/1; 1/1; necessary to colonise overseas or land troops. May strategically bombard an entire nation within reason. Can carry five air or land units; includes one complementary bomber division that is locked on board at all times, that does not count towards the five unit limit.
-Battleships. 10; 8/1; 10/10; may strategic bombard shoreline.
-Submarines. 5; 1/1; 15/2; remain undetected unless a Destroyer is present. Missiles may be loaded onto them to allow nuclear bombardment without alerting a foe to who fired it. While cheap financially, this is because despite their greater surprise attack power, they are like rice paper if detected by Destroyers.
-Destroyers. 5; 2/2; 3/3; may strategically bombard shoreline; high chance of detecting submarines.
-Bombers. 10; 10/1; 1/1; may target five provinces away from your borders
-Fighters. 3; 3/1; 10/5

Generally, carriers are not worth the investment unless one has overseas ambitions; otherwise battleships can suffice for naval purposes. A fleet of submarines can be of particular use in strangling trade if enemy destroyers are a nuisance. Nuclear weaponry will become available with time once the arms race is on in full force.

Wars should be declared publicly, given that you will be discovered sending a large force someone's way anywho thanks to modern surveillance technologies. The exception being if you spread enough misinformation and sabotage via espionage to keep the enemy from responding until you were already across the border... hmm.

Besides open combat, you can engage in espionage actions such as stealing the enemy’s plans to know their covert actions, inciting riots, robbing their banks, etc. You may also issue embargoes to cut trade revenue and strangle a foe’s economic capability. As the title Sons of Mars implies, the goal is no less than mastery of the various fields of war against all opponents.

Expansion is key as well, and is as simple as ordering troops into an enemy territory; there is a chance of being repelled but the units sent will not be destroyed. In line with the plata o plomo mentality, you can also bribe territories to join you for 5 EP.

Go forth, and conquer what ye will; the world shall be yours if you show the will and tact necessary to take it.

Details On War Mechanics

Turn I
Turn II
Turn III
Turn IV
Turn V
Turn VI
Turn VII

Definatly joining this.What year are we and when does the point of divirgence from our history start?
What about orders?

Anyway here is my nation:
Name:Caucasian Union
Colour:Light Blue
Claims:
Spoiler :

I couldn't colour the provinces.Hope this is alright.

EDIT:
I hope this one is better
Spoiler :

Name: New England Republic
Color: Purple
Capital: Hartford
Government: Federal Republic

(You really need to upload a better map in PNG format without the artifacts of JPEG, Tani)

Tani pls. Upload the map to imageshack since imgur turned it into a jpeg.

Rising Imperial Democratic Empire of Japan

Empire.png

Capital: Tokyo

Government: Conglomarate; on paper its a constitutional monarchy with a democratic parliament but the parliament has been overshadowed by three forces... whose competition in turn has ensured the parliament some arms at least. The military have a powerful say on issues, competing power with the Committee of Japanese Corporations and the technocratic Council of Imperial Advisors. Further more the monarch has been granted powers to "allow the ability of the Empire and to maintain the unity of the people." This includes the right on declaring war and declaring peace. In the end the government thinks of itself a imperial democratic autocratic corporative technocratic semi-constitutional monarchy; in total a conglomarate.

Head of State: Empress Shinobu
Head of Government: Yuudai Oshiro
Head of the Military: Akio Uedo
Head of the Committee of Japanese Corporations: CEO Natsuko Nakano of Sakae Kyouyo (glory giving)
Head of the Council of Imperial Advisors: Yoshi Maki

More details will come.

First of all, Sqeeeee Sons of Mars.

Second of all, I hate you. I'm on campus and can't properly signed up and read yet.

Finally, claiming Indonesia. Come at me.

First of all, Sqeeeee Sons of Mars.

Second of all, I hate you. I'm on campus and can't properly signed up and read yet.

Finally, claiming Indonesia. Come at me.

Claiming Malaysia.

I claim Greece. Will post map later.

Definatly joining this.What year are we and when does the point of divirgence from our history start?

There's nothing really in mind. This is just a generic "Peaceful buildup or war" game of opportunism. Stay neutral and build up industry as everyone guts each other or join the dogpile.

What about orders?

Pretty simple, you just need to specify where your money's going and what territories you want.

Tani pls. Upload the map to imageshack since imgur turned it into a jpeg.

None of the image hosts seem to want to take it at present. Don't worry, it looks crisp and clean on my end. :p

Mongola

Partitionania

Country changed.

Lol Partitionania

Don't be fooled by the name. Partitionanians are not to be trusted. They will stab you in the back at the slightest provocation, even when you have signed pacts of non aggression.

#removehussar

In Soviet IOT, Poland occupies you.

The glorious RIDEJ will ensure security and prosperity for the Pacific and Asian region! Glory to the great cause as we protect harmony from disorder!

All hail the Empress!

Aidanu Magocracy

Capital: Alanu (Modern Day Brisbane)
Government: Magocracy
Leader: High Magus Druda

The Aidanu Magocracy came about at the height of...something of great importance, I'm sure. Whatever the cause, it's miraculous how the world largely ignored the rise of a sentient race of magic-wielding anthropomorphic kangaroos for this long. Maybe the royal family had another baby.

Regardless, the Aidanu Magocracy established their empire quickly, combining their advanced technology with their mastery of the arcane. While some see mankind as a lesser species, the magocracy as a whole is nonetheless willing to work with humans to forward their own agenda. Not exactly an alien practice.

"Some have accused us [the Aidanu] of considering ourselves superior to mankind. This is a baseless statement. The humans have been around for several thousand years, and they have yet to advance to the level of technology we achieved within three decades. We have done more than claiming our superiority. We have proven it."
-Anonymous

Inactivity Policies

In the event one misses the orders lock, I put all money towards infrastructure.

Things come up, but if you are going to be absent for a period please let me know so I can keep your spending policies automated to your wishes.

Three turns' absence will result in being considered AWOL, in which case I will PM you, and if you do not reply I will presume you simply left without the courtesy to leave a resignation message; I will mark it down on your record. What is the record? It's a dossier of evidence I submit to moderators when I wish to deny you entry to future games. So, if you intend to leave the game, simply say so! It takes only a few seconds. :p

Top Bottom