SOON to come- at a forum near you...

I just took a series of screen shots on the Mac (shift+apple+3 keys, for those out there using superior tech, then edited them down in size and converted them from PICT to GIF format using GraphicConverter and then loaded them into this freeware app. called Gif Builder - et voila !

Impressive. I think I am going to look for that Freeware :)

Q: are there a limited number of years/months in this scenario - i.e. is there and end date ?
[/B]

Yep, the scenario goes until 1848 (Year of a trans-European uprising against the rulers of the Monarchic System- failed though)
-This ending period is not cast in stone, however... just start a scenario with the french and save before doing any movement, etc... then open the cheat function and change the scenario turns... save it as a new scenario and restart this same one...

Or can these 2 cities be put down as strategic targets that have to be captured (as in the ww2 'ZWK' scenario) ?
[/B]

Have 2 check- sounds good...

I know he's out there !
[/B]

He is definitly- but the AI is too "limited" to understand concepts such as reinforcing beach heads (i.e. carry a landarmy from the UK to the Iberian Peninsula)- I am thinking about making it a bit easier for the British to get established there (perhaps Wellington should really appear in Lisbon...)

it'd be great to have the Americas involved - just to expand it even more - some Native American 'barbarian' units ?? plus the English and Neutrals (Dutch/Spanish) over there in some capacity....and MORE PIRATES !! And poss. have a Wonder out there - trade related perhaps ?? [/B]

Ah- you do mind reading too, eh ? Already dowloaded a map of the Caribian ;););)

- you do mind reading too, eh ? Already dowloaded a map of the Caribian

Great news ! :)

I am thinking about making it a bit easier for the British to get established there (perhaps Wellington should really appear in Lisbon...)

Well I found Wellington - just bombarded him in London.

Here's another animation to be going on with !

Attachments

• london.gif
    london.gif
    230.7 KB · Views: 159
Hi again Frunobulax,

Uhm- I just noticed that on the "Lisbon Invasion Screenshot" the Spanish names have come out strange. Is that a result of the conversion to MAC or is it due to missing fonts?

Has anybody else experienced this ???

the Spanish names have come out strange. Is that a result of the conversion to MAC or is it due to missing fonts?

It is conversion process :( . The same problem has happened to me with many other Civ2 PC-to-Mac scenario conversions I've done, such as 'ZWK' and 'Second Front' (words like Falschirmjæger, where there "æ" defaults a blank square or space).

This also affects the Events.txt file too, so I usually go through and tidy them up - with GNB Blücher was the big problem, which meant I also had to re-edit his name in the Rules.txt file so the game loaded properly.

I guess that the original text is copied as straight ASCII info., so all these accidentals and umlauts etc. just don't get picked up correctly.

Originally posted by frunobulax

This also affects the Events.txt file too, so I usually go through and tidy them up - with GNB Blücher was the big problem, which meant I also had to re-edit his name in the Rules.txt file so the game loaded properly.

I c, didn't think of that possibility when I created it... so I guess also Copenhagen will be a bit funny :( - sorry I'll have it in mind for the next version...

Another thing I was wondering about: Case asked me if I am going to set up a PBEM. So if you and R interested, let me know- I don't know how to set up a PBEM, so it may take me a few days to set up everything (lil update comming too ;))

Well I have to admit, that these gaphics are superb, in my scale it gives half the points already, but I have to also admit, that the map is almost twice too big in east. If You did want to save the original map, why didnt You cut some lines from east with Map-Editor:)

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r ...other thing I was wondering about : Case asked me if I am going to set up a PBEM. So if you and R interested, let me know - I don't know how to set up a PBEM, so it may take me a few days to set up everything (lil update comming too )
I'd love to play a PBEM - I've never played one before, but I presume this is just sending saved file of the game from one person to the next (maybe this is a stupid question !).

Are there any 'regulations' about PBEM on CivFanatics site - anyone ?

Put me down for the British if they haven't been 'reserved' yet - failing that, the Prussians.

If it is sending save games by email I guess you'd need MPGE (?) versions converted back to PC format - I'm presuming everyone else is/would be PC'ers. I can do this (I think) with the ResEdit app. I have.

Anyway, I look forward to the update ! :) Does it involve the emerging USA by any chance ?

Originally posted by Gaius
... the map is almost twice too big in east. If You did want to save the original map, why didnt You cut some lines from east with Map-Editor:)

I will do so in the final version- i was too lazy to do it so far, and was hoping the barbs would keep Russian and Turkish expansion at bay (or at least delay it sufficiently). Unfortunatly it didnt work too well :confused: ... yes, I will probably just cut the eastern bit off... don't know if the Caribian (etc) will already be included for MGE, though.

Most probably it will appear as a separate map level in the TOT version :p

Are there any 'regulations' about PBEM on CivFanatics site - anyone ?

Put me down for the British if they haven't been 'reserved' yet - failing that, the Prussians.
If it is sending save games by email I guess you'd need MPGE (?) versions converted back to PC format - I'm presuming everyone else is/would be PC'ers. I can do this (I think) with the ResEdit app. I have.

Anyway, I look forward to the update ! :) Does it involve the emerging USA by any chance ?

Right, uhm Case said that he was looking forward to play the British already, but the Prussians are alright :) an available.
I have included this link to the PBEM faq (there is also a word file in this thread that deals with different versions of civ2).

PBEM "Manual"

No, unfortunatly the update will only fix gameplay related issues at this point... not enough time.

quoting myself are there any 'regulations' about PBEM on CivFanatics site - anyone ?
Just found :scan: a bunch of stuff about this on CivFanatics - now I'm in the picture !

don't know if the Caribian (etc) will already be included for MGE, though.
Aww! :( Go on !

I have included this link to the PBEM faq (there is also a word file in this thread that deals with different versions of civ2).

We must be on here simultaneously... thanx for the info anyway - have just read the PBEM FAQ thing :)

but the Prussians are alright an available.
Prussians it is !

"Wasn't Madeira Spanish until 1801, when the Brits settled in ? Not sure if my history is correct here.

Right, I think I found something on that. It says here

(http://home.online.no/~nancys/portugal/madeira/history/index.html)

that "The Portuguese found Porto Santo in 1418 and Madeira in 1419... bla bla... Since there was a total lack of aborigines when the islands were discovered, the population consists mostly of genuine Portuguese who arrived as settlers... more bla bla..."
-here comes the important bit:
"... Also, British troops possessed Madeira for six months in 1801 and for seven years from 1807."

So, it is true that the British were not there until 1801, however Portugal owned Madeira at that time (hope that is correct) and was allied with Great Britain at that time- apparently, the Island was seized by British forces, until when the Portugese mainland was overrun by Spanish Forces (under French pressure) in the "Orange War"- so far so good...

http://www.w3perl.com/www/histoire/irlande/rising.html
"Meanwhile, Wolfe Tone had persuaded the French government to send another expedition to Ireland, but it sailed from La Rochelle long after the rising had been defeated. On 23 August, 1,000 French troops under General Humbert landed at Killala Bay in Connacht".

How about this as an extra Frenach event (Aug 1798) -> one F.infantry plus a couple of 'barbarian' Reservists to appear on west coast of Ireland ?

How about this as an extra Frenach event (Aug 1798) -> one F.infantry plus a couple of 'barbarian' Reservists to appear on west coast of Ireland ?

Very nize- just not got enough event file space left :cry: (damn MGE Design team *xcusemoi*)
I'll include it in TOT...

quote:Originally posted by frunobulax

Very nize- just not got enough event file space left (damn MGE Design team *xcusemoi*) I'll include it in TOT...

Is there a limit ? I didn't realise there was :(

...but strangely enough, each time I've played GNB (I'm on my second attempt now, as the Prussians - thought I'd better get some practice in before a PBEM ;) ) there are always 2 Pirate ships that make their way to the west coast of Ireland and drop off a few Pirates, who then attack Dublin, usually around Oct 1798 - which is almost when the French actually landed... so the AI has almost done this event itself. Not sure if you've seen this same sequence of events !?

Yes, the Pirates and their destabilising effect on Ireland was intentional- but it was not trigger related, positioning rather. They R at two spots from which they head for the nearest landmass with a city- in our case the norther ship goes of to Northern Ireland, the other one heads for the Southern bit.

I'll see what I can do to squeeeeze in somewhere :cringe:

Hi again W.i.n.t.e.r

now that I'm replaying GNB as the Prussians I realise how nicely balanceed the various powers seem to be :) - what the Prussians lack initially in gold, a decent navy and territory is made up for by all those neat reinforcements - Leib Hussars, Ulans and Field Howitzers. I've managed to capture all of the Neutral Alliance cities (except Amsterdam) with few losses (and a bit of luck !), and am Allied to the Austrians (for now!). Also have over 4000 gold as a result too - having also just sunk the Varda off Stockholm - but I did think about trying to capture it instead, as the Prussian Navy is pretty weak at the moment :( , and only consists of 2 Frigates and 2 Ships of the Line (none of them veterans).

I'll maybe replay the scenario as the Austrians next....

btw re. the PBEM - what country will you be ?

now that I'm replaying GNB as the Prussians I realise how nicely balanceed the various powers seem to be :) - what the Prussians lack initially in gold, a decent navy and territory is made up for by all those neat reinforcements - Leib Hussars, Ulans and Field Howitzers.

Hi there Frunobulax (by the way- wanted to ask this for a long time: what does fronbulax stand 4???)

Glad U like it- yep, I wanted it to be fun 2 play for everybody- well, the Ottomans lack some imagination from my side, but perhaps some day I' shall reward them...

I've managed to capture all of the Neutral Alliance cities (except Amsterdam) with few losses (and a bit of luck !)

Wow, did U also capture Copanhagen ??? :eek:
I guess the Neutrals have to be attacked early (and hard :slay:)

btw re. the PBEM - what country will you be ?

I want 2 play as the Austrians - it is difficult, cuz they are neither small or large- but they have to achieve most goals the hard way. One should not underestimate them though (playing at deity level ;)

Hi there everyone,
Some news on the MGE update:

I have adjusted the map to a more playable size. :egypt:
This means that the update may take some time, as I need to put all the units (and the cities, structures, and scenario parameters) back together- arrgllll :suicide:
But I promise I will put everything together nicely... also, there will be new sounds, an MPevent file (for those experiencing trouble with multiple event files and conversions), as well as slight changes in the rules and event files altogether.

Any suggestions, please lemme know ....

------------
:hammer:
------------

Wow, did U also capture Copanhagen ???
Yep, and Stockholm - my last 2-3 moves last night (late 1801) - but was a bit risky taking both cities, moving 1 field howitzer + 2 light guns + 1 P. infantry next to the city from a Troop Ship, but neither the Swedish Line nor the frigates/Varsa attacked ! Lucky me !

I guess the Neutrals have to be attacked early
Absolutely - though my reputation is pretty much in tatters (dishonourable)... and I fear the French will attack soon. I've managed to stay on the good side of the Russian and Ottoman Turks for the moment.

what does fronbulax stand 4
It's part of the lyric from a song by Frank Zappa & The Mothers about '50s American monster movies ('Cheepnis', 1974) - "Apparently a very large poodle dog, which the natives of this area call Frunobulax, has been seen approaching power plant; bullets can't stop it, rockets can't stop it, we may have to use nuclear force !!..." :crazyeyes

I want 2 play as the Austrians - it is difficult, cuz they are neither small or large- but they have to achieve most goals the hard way. One should not underestimate them though (playing at deity level
Aha !! That'll be interesting - Prussians, Austrians and British vs. AI French/Neutral Alliance/Russians/Turks - or are we having more than 3 human players for the PBEM ?

Top Bottom