Sorry to be a broken record

@DH,... So maybe think about removing that bit of info from the event. Other wise works for me.

JosEPh :)

What if we just disabled the messaging on them entirely for now? Let the landscape go about its business without indication otherwise?

That is exactly what I was trying to do. There is a message in the Event Trigger/Event itself then more in the Python. Not only that but both the event and the python centre the map on the event. I messed the code up when I confused the player and plot objects. Of course I also simplified the code a bit. I was putting all the messaging inside a test to see if the player was human and could see the plot. That would stop the main problem but not the bit that annoys me, which was not getting a message about a volcano that I could see.

I am testing a fix now. I think I may have gone overboard and removed the messaging form all volcano events that happen except those that "your turn" causes to occur in your territory.

For those complaining it probably isn't overboard.

JosEPh

That would be good, Thunderbrd. In times before modern communication that would actually have been the case. Volcano goes off in South America, Europe has no clue.

I don't feel that just playing a shorter game speed is an adequate response. I like playing an extremely long game, and to destroy that feature for the sake of volcanoes is just silly.

Event: Volcanoes
1) Event message is being displayed when "your turn" causes the volcano event even if you can't see it. The only thing I can do is remove the message from the event for all volcano events.

2) Bug My turn caused a volcano to erupt in the same plot as an AI city. This should not be happening and is easily fixed. While I am at it should I ensure that volcanoes don't erupt in the plot next to a city? I know some people have complained about it.

3) Centering the screen when you can see the volcano - should I do that?

4) @AIAndy - multiplayer I was going to do something like the pseudo code below but I am worried that it may cause the messages to repeat in multiplayer mode.
Code:
arrayOfPlayers = []
loop over all players
  if player is human and they can see the plot
     add them to array

if array is not empty
  For player in array
    if player is active
        centre on plot
        do animations
   display messages

Event: Fishing boats built
Sometimes you get a message saying that your people have built fishing boats when you know that all your fish (etc.) resources have boats already. After working on Volcanoes I suspect that these boats have been built in another nation. I'll look into the code.​

Event: Tornadoes - I want to put the graphics event back in.
1) I had the graphics for this in game and mostly they worked fine but sometimes the feature of the graphic would not be removed even when the feature was gone. You could tell it was gone even though it was displayed because you could move units onto the plot. Unfortunately it is not possible to post a save showing this as save/load fixes the problem.

2) @AIAndy what do I have to do (in Python) to make the tornado feature a secondary feature so we can extend the event to non-cleared plots?​

4) @AIAndy - multiplayer I was going to do something like the pseudo code below but I am worried that it may cause the messages to repeat in multiplayer mode.
Code:
arrayOfPlayers = []
loop over all players
  if player is human and they can see the plot
     add them to array

if array is not empty
  For player in array
    if player is active
        centre on plot
        do animations
   display messages
[/INDENT]
It won't multiply the messages. This is fine but instead of "if player is active" use "if player equals the active player".

2) @AIAndy what do I have to do (in Python) to make the tornado feature a secondary feature so we can extend the event to non-cleared plots?[/INDENT]
Use the setHasFeature method instead of setFeatureType. It works similar to setHasPromotion (but on a plot of course).

,snip>

I don't feel that just playing a shorter game speed is an adequate response. I like playing an extremely long game, and to destroy that feature for the sake of volcanoes is just silly.

Okay! You get what you play with. And really what makes a 14000 turn game any better than a 3000 turn game?

JosEPh

Nothing at all, if you prefer the 3,000 turn game. :)

I keep the game minimized almost all the time when I'm not writing, working, or doing other on my desktop. When I have the free time, I just pop it up and play. I want that same game experience to last as long as possible, it's enjoyable for me personally to know the terrain, the other leaders, and to return to that same game when I play. So I guess the only thing that makes it better is personal preference. I like the long game. You like the shorter. I haven't had time to research how to completely kill off the volcanoes. I've changed the civeventtriggers.xml or whatever the file is called, but I'm still getting them. Once I figure out how to kill them for good, that's probably the path I'll take until either the event scales to the 14,500 turn game or becomes less obtrusive.

Hopefully I'll have a few hours to educate myself on turning them off this weekend or next.

I have another question about the volcano events.

They happen when it's a players turn, the event is something tied to the civilization, either AI or player. So when it happens you don't get a pop up if the volcano was actually tied to an AI turn. I have a volcano in my territory that has been locked into an active state for hundreds of turns. Meaning it shows the cone and the caldera is flowing. This one never has a box associated with it, which I assume means that it is associated with a neighbor, or was. The Poles were to the South of me, they declared war on me so I eliminated them. Captured or destroyed their cities entirely.

Now the volcano just sits there. I assume that since the Poles no longer have a turn, the volcano doesn't get a chance to see if it goes inactive, goes away, etc. It's just sitting there.

Just wanted you to know that's how I see it to be working. I'm probably wrong, but if I'm right you should probably know about it if you don't already.

I have another question about the volcano events.

They happen when it's a players turn, the event is something tied to the civilization, either AI or player. So when it happens you don't get a pop up if the volcano was actually tied to an AI turn. I have a volcano in my territory that has been locked into an active state for hundreds of turns. Meaning it shows the cone and the caldera is flowing. This one never has a box associated with it, which I assume means that it is associated with a neighbor, or was. The Poles were to the South of me, they declared war on me so I eliminated them. Captured or destroyed their cities entirely.

Now the volcano just sits there. I assume that since the Poles no longer have a turn, the volcano doesn't get a chance to see if it goes inactive, goes away, etc. It's just sitting there.

Just wanted you to know that's how I see it to be working. I'm probably wrong, but if I'm right you should probably know about it if you don't already.

I am working on getting the messages to work for the volcanoes you can see. They wont be the popup dialogues just the normal messages with the event icon/pointer. Doing so is next on my list when I get home. ;)

As to which active volcano erupts or goes dormant that is supposed to be random among all the ones currently active. Don't forget Mt Etna has been active almost constantly throughout human history.

I have released the next bit of this fix. You should only get event messages if you can see the volcano in the event. My testing may not have been a full as possible.

Now to move on and show the messages to players who's turn did not cause the event but are affected by it.

Thanks, DH.

So killing the Poles wasn't responsible for the volcano in my lands never changing status again? One of those odd coincidences, I guess. ;) Thanks for all your hard work.

Top Bottom