Spearman vs. Tank alive and well!

Why? Why hasn't this basic problem been fixed? Why can't they make it so that a majorly outclassed unit simply captures or defeats the opposing unit as if they were embarked?

Why? Why hasn't this basic problem been fixed? Why can't they make it so that a majorly outclassed unit simply captures or defeats the opposing unit as if they were embarked?

Because ridiculously low odds are better.

Yeah, men with swords, throwing torches in the air, hitting airplanes as they pass by.
At leasts spears and tanks are on the same freaking ground.

Non modern ground targets should NOT be able to damage airplanes. This is just insane. Gameplaywise, realistwise, you name it. Insane.

I killed a pikeman with a mech infantry today. The pikeman did 2 damage but it was hilarious how long the battle was. They just kept stabbing away for like 10 seconds, a valiant effort. My guess is several drivers laughed themselves to heart attacks as they mowed through the spears.

Well at least ground troops could POSSIBLY climb onto a moving vehicle... and mechanized infantry don't just stay in the vehicle they move out of it to secure locations. Maybe that is not visible in game but that is how mech inf works.

Any non-ranged unit shooting down an airplane though is ******ed. Same with catapults killing an enemy unit in Civ4.

You guys need to stop taking things so literally. This is a game, the units are abstractions. A swordsmen in the tank era is like a group of guerrillas, like in Afghanistan. Not a full strength division, but having some capability.

Its a game with such a broad scope there needs to be a TON of abstraction like this and bringing up stupid things like this just distracts from the real actual issues.

it doe not bother me if a spearmen does like 1 damage to a tank or a longswordsman doing 2 damage to a superior unit.

1 or 2 damage is nothing. The spearmen is just causing a little scratch in the armor.

So far their has not been a case where a extremely weak unit destroyed my ultra superior unit. Like spearmen vs tank

If the spearmen attacks a city with your tank inside, the spearmen can easily kill a tank...

Well, actually it was a Longswordsman(!) that almost shot down my fighter (-2 dmg)!

This is a game. Either we do want randomness element or we dont. If we have randomness, we have spear vs tank case.

I am for randomness personally. It's not hard to imagine that one out of thousand times spearman will win against the tank. <snip> happens, in real world too. So basically I don't even understand the outrage about that.

Moderator Action: Swearing is not allowed on these forums, thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

gpshaw: excellent idea! It is more realistic that you would "capture" a unit. Right now we can only capture settlers and workers, but a totally outclassed unit wouldn't fight back in real life. You wouldn't see a little raft try to fire arrows at a destroyer... more likely they'd just put up their hands or a white flag in surrender.

I mean, whatever happened to prisoners of war??? Maybe they could slowly convert so that they become a member of your empire... or maybe you can sell the useless units back to the civ that you are conquering in a little deal... i dunno... but cool idea.

Balance. If you tech up first, you're pretty much guaranteed a win?

Why are you demanding realism from a game engine where the only combat attributes are combat strength (a mix of defense and strength?), movement (tiles? lol), and range?

but a totaly outclassed unit wouldn't fight back in real life

This has got to be one of the most stupid answers I have ever read. Look back through History boy, check out some stuff before u go making pathetic little comments.

DO you real think when the first tank appeared on the front lines of WW 1 that the ppl that saw it comming actualy stood up and waved a freakign white flag? OMFG get a life.

Moderator Action: No need to be rude, please respond to others in a civil manner, thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You wouldn't see a little raft try to fire arrows at a destroyer..
In real life people do use brains once in a while :) There are other ways to destroy the tank. Lure it into swamp, trick the soldiers into opening it so that you could throw in explosives, lure it into traps.... Things do happen in real life. Try reading some history books :)

I do think a tank losing to a spearmen, very rarely, is more realistic than a tank which could never ever lose to a spearman.

heh heh. There was a new tribe in South America that was recently discovered. They fired arrows at the helicopters. I think this was last year.

You could always rule in pilot error. Yeah your fighter killed the warrior, and he was so thrilled he hit a cliff wall.

Ok. In all seriousness. The warriors hitting fighters thing HAS to go. Same with bases hitting subs..poor subs.

I think armor should be included as a factor in this game. Metal ships ignore a percent of damage from older ships. Medieval units get armor bonus vs arrows, and they gotta add a grenadier to replace those crossbowmen in the renaissance...ohh I lost my point.

I've always thought of melee units hitting air units as them sabotaging the craft when it's on the ground. Think about it, one turn is at least several months, if not years, depending how far advanced your game is. You can't seriously expect your heli to stay in the air for that long, it will have to land every once in a while, and they are fairly vulnerable on the ground.

But ultimately, it's just a game, not a reality sim. It has its own rules.

Top Bottom